Old 31-08-2008, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Possible new allotments

A neighbour suggested to the local councillor on a walkabout that we
have allotments on the waste land near us. The councillor seems to
like the idea (It's a nuisance bit of land at the moment) - there's 6
people on this street who're interested in having an allotment at
least! And they've organised a site visit in September for the high up
bods to come and say yes or no.
Any suggestions or thoughts? (One of the councillors said about
involving schools/healthy eating type stuff too)
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 31-08-2008, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
A neighbour suggested to the local councillor on a walkabout that we
have allotments on the waste land near us. The councillor seems to
like the idea (It's a nuisance bit of land at the moment) - there's 6
people on this street who're interested in having an allotment at
least! And they've organised a site visit in September for the high up
bods to come and say yes or no.
Any suggestions or thoughts? (One of the councillors said about
involving schools/healthy eating type stuff too)
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

"Waste land"?

Bet it belongs to someone with something ear marked for it :-(

Old 31-08-2008, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:48:30 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"mogga" wrote in message
.. .
A neighbour suggested to the local councillor on a walkabout that we
have allotments on the waste land near us. The councillor seems to
like the idea (It's a nuisance bit of land at the moment) - there's 6
people on this street who're interested in having an allotment at
least! And they've organised a site visit in September for the high up
bods to come and say yes or no.
Any suggestions or thoughts? (One of the councillors said about
involving schools/healthy eating type stuff too)
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

"Waste land"?

Bet it belongs to someone with something ear marked for it :-(

It's the councils. Parks and Leisure. Officially they say it's "open
land for use by all" whereas in reality it's the kingdom of kids
drinking (sorry they're 18 now the pcsp reckons so it's fine for them
to drink and litter etc) but there's recently been some more dodgy
stuff going on there.
Old 31-08-2008, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:48:30 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"mogga" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

They could have a fight on their hands if they want to take it away from
that designated statement.

Old 31-08-2008, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 16:12:34 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"""Officially they say it's "open land for use by all""""

They could have a fight on their hands if they want to take it away from
that designated statement.

The other allotments are shown in the same colour on the UDP also
though.

Old 31-08-2008, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote
A neighbour suggested to the local councillor on a walkabout that we
have allotments on the waste land near us. The councillor seems to
like the idea (It's a nuisance bit of land at the moment) - there's 6
people on this street who're interested in having an allotment at
least! And they've organised a site visit in September for the high up
bods to come and say yes or no.
Any suggestions or thoughts? (One of the councillors said about
involving schools/healthy eating type stuff too)

As I understand it the law states that if 6 or more people in an area demand
an allotment then the local Council is obliged to find somewhere so you are
certainly in luck provided there are not empty plots nearby.
The fact that you will help the Council out of a problem with this site is
also in your favour.
It's quite common these days to get a local school interested, they often
take a plot or two themselves and get experienced veg gardeners to help them
show the children how to grow stuff. Good teachers can use the experience in
all sorts of ways let alone showing the kids what it looks like as a plant,
and it would be very beneficial to your cause.
Any work you can do to make the site an allotment site and cut down the
Councils costs will help in their cost analysis.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 31-08-2008, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"""Officially they say it's "open land for use by all""""

They could have a fight on their hands if they want to take it away from
that designated statement.

The other allotments are shown in the same colour on the UDP also
though.

as a past Parish Councillor, and as someone at present fighting a County
Council and on the verge of winning, I can see both sides of the argument.
Let me know which side you are on and I will tell you which bullets to put
in the gun to fire ;-) I will load it, you can fire it :-)

Old 01-09-2008, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 17:07:57 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"""Officially they say it's "open land for use by all""""

They could have a fight on their hands if they want to take it away from
that designated statement.

The other allotments are shown in the same colour on the UDP also
though.

as a past Parish Councillor, and as someone at present fighting a County
Council and on the verge of winning, I can see both sides of the argument.
Let me know which side you are on and I will tell you which bullets to put
in the gun to fire ;-) I will load it, you can fire it :-)

I would love an allotment.
I would be happy to have allotments on this bit of land. I live in the
position of being one of the most affected people by whatever goes on
it.

It has no play stuff on at all and isn't even flat for ball games.
It's being used by older teens for drinking and now drugs (Lots of
those little deal bags appearing)
The police feel it's only a few people complaining so prefer it to the
kids being elsewhere where they might disturb more people. (Makes you
feel all warm and special that one does)

Someone from parks department told us over a year ago they'd never put
a playground back on it as it's not overlooked.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 17:07:57 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

I think you have a battle on your hands with a Police attitude like that and
the fact that it is open use for all.

I know how I would go about it and the first thing would be to get the
support from all of your neighbours and those within 10 -15 minutes walk who
would want one of the allotments.

Without knowing the whereabouts and circumstances it is difficult to
envisage, but it is the sort of fight I like ;-)

Good luck. Have you formed a 'fighting group' so to speak? Has anything been
put forward yet or is it a 'sort of dream'?

Old 01-09-2008, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 09:19:09 +0100, "'Mike'" wrote:

It has no play stuff on at all and isn't even flat for ball games.
It's being used by older teens for drinking and now drugs (Lots of
those little deal bags appearing)
The police feel it's only a few people complaining so prefer it to the
kids being elsewhere where they might disturb more people. (Makes you
feel all warm and special that one does)

Someone from parks department told us over a year ago they'd never put
a playground back on it as it's not overlooked.
--

I think you have a battle on your hands with a Police attitude like that and
the fact that it is open use for all.

Our PCSO is after an alcohol ban to stop any issues about whether
they're 18 or not. She's away at the moment but I've left a message
for her.

I know how I would go about it and the first thing would be to get the
support from all of your neighbours and those within 10 -15 minutes walk who
would want one of the allotments.

Without knowing the whereabouts and circumstances it is difficult to
envisage, but it is the sort of fight I like ;-)

Good luck. Have you formed a 'fighting group' so to speak? Has anything been
put forward yet or is it a 'sort of dream'?

No fighting group yet - but all the nieghbours are sick of the yobs
behaviour. The councillors seem quite keen on the idea - which may
have been part of the battle. The one quite liked the idea of the land
creating an income.

I will speak to more neighbours this week - and see who else is keen.
I know there's a long waiting list on my council's nearest allotment.
Anyone from anywhere can have one of my council's allotments but this
isn't reciprocated by the council that is nearest to me.
Thanks

Old 01-09-2008, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
[...]

:-))

I have done a complete 'U' turn on my optimism! One of the cards you could
have played later is the income one. They are sold on that idea at the
start!

Might I suggest that instead of asking the neighbours if they are keen, you
adopt the attitude that 'we' are pressing ahead with a scheme to turn the
land into allotments. 'WE' have Police and Councils interest and support in
ridding the land of the drugs menace, making it useful for the residents AND
giving the council an income, thus helping us in the long run with our
Council Bills. The 'WE' only needs to be two people and if you don't have
another person, count me in as a 'we'. (offering advice) ;-)

Do you have access to photocopying facilities to run out a flyer to nearby
houses? Nothing posh 'printed' by a professional, your saving money not
spending it ;-)

Sounds good :-)

I have a council meeting to attend in the next few days as I have something
else I want doing. I will ask the clerk what the best form of attack would
be 'in her eyes'

Good Luck

Old 01-09-2008, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 15:47:13 +0100, "'Mike'" wrote:

[...]

Thanks! I've got some allies already.
I'll bedoing some neighbourhood smoozing this week for sure.

Do you have access to photocopying facilities to run out a flyer to nearby
houses? Nothing posh 'printed' by a professional, your saving money not
spending it ;-)

I've got a printer and paper so thats not a problem.

Sounds good :-)

I have a council meeting to attend in the next few days as I have something
else I want doing. I will ask the clerk what the best form of attack would
be 'in her eyes'

Thanks - that would be interesting and I suspect useful!

Good Luck

Cheers!
Old 18-09-2008, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

An update from this morning.

Head of Parks and someone else from parks came and are in general
agreement that it's a great idea. They need to check with legal to see
if there might be any covenants etc that prevent it going ahead as
allotments.
So that's what we're waiting for now. Will probably be weeks though
before the legals get back to them.

Area can't be a playground as they are shutting those in areas out of
the way like this. Their cheapest option is to do nothing - estimate
of 35k for fencing seem unreal though and another 35k for leveling it
- so we might have to just get agreement off them then set up a group
to get funding etc. or there was talk of involving adult learning
section as they are doing a community project nearby. (Will have to go
and visit it - it's apparently on unwanted allotments!!!)

Anyway, was lovely and sunny - people turned out and stayed behind to
chat!

So fingers crossed on the legal side anyway!
Old 18-09-2008, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds very promising :-)

Don't worry too much at this stage if they find a covenant on the land, I
had one on mine, but as it had not been registered, my Solicitor had it
removed with no trouble at all. However, if it IS registered and people or
houses are named, then their agreement will have to be sought.

Also, it shouldn't take more than a couple of days to do a legal search to
find any covenants.

Fingers crossed for you
;-))