Old 02-09-2008, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chilli flower buds

Hmm, the flower buds on my dorset naga chilli plant are shrivelling up and
falling off the plant before they've got anywhere near opening. I know the
two main reasons for flowers falling off are non-pollination (which isn't
the case as they haven't even opened) and lack of humidity. I've been
spraying them with water a couple of times a day but they are still dropping
off.

Any ideas? I hadn't fed it for a while, so I just did that. Could that be
the cause? The rest of the plant looks very healthy.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Crundy" writes:
| Hmm, the flower buds on my dorset naga chilli plant are shrivelling up and
| falling off the plant before they've got anywhere near opening. I know the
| two main reasons for flowers falling off are non-pollination (which isn't
| the case as they haven't even opened) and lack of humidity. I've been
| spraying them with water a couple of times a day but they are still dropping
| off.

Forget the humidity nonsense - that applies only in semi-desert
conditions - they are remarkably drought resistant, and will set
even if you forget to water them every now and then.

Low temperature is the main cause, but you might have been keeping
them TOO damp!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
Low temperature is the main cause, but you might have been keeping
them TOO damp!

Aaah, so if the compost is too damp the buds will drop?

Old 02-09-2008, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Crundy" contains these words:

Hmm, the flower buds on my dorset naga chilli plant are shrivelling up and
falling off the plant before they've got anywhere near opening. I know the
two main reasons for flowers falling off are non-pollination (which isn't
the case as they haven't even opened) and lack of humidity. I've been
spraying them with water a couple of times a day but they are still
dropping
off.

Where are you growing them, and in what?

Any ideas? I hadn't fed it for a while, so I just did that. Could that be
the cause? The rest of the plant looks very healthy.

No.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 02-09-2008, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Crundy" writes:

| Low temperature is the main cause, but you might have been keeping
| them TOO damp!
|
| Aaah, so if the compost is too damp the buds will drop?

Yes. Like most of those plants, chillis loathe being waterlogged,
especially in cold weather.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Chilli Plants - New buds going yellow and dying! Stevie Edible Gardening 21 15-08-2012 01:52 AM
Chilli Plants - New buds going yellow and dying! Stevie Edible Gardening 0 14-07-2012 05:30 PM
Buds! Buds! NTANTIQUES Roses 21 03-02-2011 04:48 PM
chilli plant grown with chilli seeds govinder United Kingdom 0 01-04-2003 11:20 PM