Old 09-09-2008, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weed

The message
from "bm" contains these words:

Thanks for your help.It got hold in one area of my garden during a period I
had to give up gardening due to a hernia op.
I will do as you suggest.
Isn't it amazing that my query has started a long conversation about eating
weeds! I wonder how sorrel would suit them!

Depending on which type of sorrel, very nicely, thank-you.

The one you add to salads is like a small dock with arrowhead-shaped
leaves, and is very sharp. I've no idea whether the (unrelated) Oxalis
is edible, though.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 09-09-2008, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from "Cat(h)" contains these words:

Sorrel is very much edible, so long as it is not the Oxalis variety -
which appears to be the one you have. If I recall properly, it
contains oxalic acid, which is toxic in high doses.
But I wouldn't put it past one of the URGers to come up with an oxalis
chutney recipe which circumvents the problem...

Chutney would be difficult, but I will concoct a receipt for a sauce to
accompany fat meat if it so please you, M'Lady...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 09-09-2008, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "bm" contains these words:

You are right, looking at the photo I have sheep's sorrel

Well, you can munch that, too, though it probably isn't so palatable as
common sorrel.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-09-2008, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 9, 7:09 pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message
from "bm" contains these words:

I started down the route of having a web site but I decided to see if I
could find the weed on the internet and I've found it. It is Sorrel

Which one?

There is a plethora of sorrels.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

ooops; you are right of course; I plumped for Oxalis which is indeed
invasive sometimes but that was not his sorrel. Oh what a complicated
world we live in.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 9, 7:23*pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
You are right, looking at the photo I have sheep's sorrel

Well, you can munch that, too, though it probably isn't so palatable as
common sorrel.

Common?! How very dare you. I have grown sorrel for decades - I have
Rumex scutatus, French sorrel to you, and don't know what to do with
it all! I make potato and sorrel soup, throw it in omelettes, throw it
in bolognese/lasagne, pasta sauce pretending it's spinash and do white
sauce with it, especially for fish. It's gorgeous.

The Rumex acetosella has smaller leaves, and doesn't 'clump' as well
and profusely than the French sorrel. I don't bother with it, but pick
it up when I see it.

The Oxalis acetosalla, woodland sorrel, doesn't look at all like the
sorrel we know and I find it a peculiar taste, it's very lemony and I
don't like the idea you're not suppose to eat *too* much, even in
sauces, in case of toxicity. The thing is that it's the stem we should
be careful off - not so much the leaves.

Then there's the Oxalis exilis, with yellow flowers. this one creeps
and spreads by seeds and creeping stems, which makes it difficult to
get rid off and that's the one I think the OP has - but the flowers
are edible and so pretty in salads. This year I've eaten lots of
nasturtium in our salads. There's something wonderful to be able to
eat a flower ... I must have been a goat in a past life!

Old 12-09-2008, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 4, 5:53*am, "bm" wrote:
I have a weed which has invaded my garden and I wage a constant battle
against it .

That's where you go wrong to start with. Shouldn't be a battle. Try to
use it - think how it spreads, let it be in a small area only for
example. It's an herb, not an ennemy.

I have tried using roundup and it certainly seems to work but some areas are
so bad I have had to dig them up as best as I can with limited success.
Is there a procedure for dealing with this pest?

Dig it up, because it spreads with seeds and creeping stems and it'll
ever go away - don't use chemicals because you will only kill
beneficial plants and insects habitats.