Old 04-09-2008, 05:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bm bm is offline

Default Weed

I have a weed which has invaded my garden and I wage a constant battle
against it . It spreads by putting out shoots which then pop up and form the
next weed. If the slightest piece breaks off it forms a new weed. I don't
know what it is called.
I have tried using roundup and it certainly seems to work but some areas are
so bad I have had to dig them up as best as I can with limited success.
Is there a procedure for dealing with this pest?
Blair

Old 04-09-2008, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bm" wrote in message
I have a weed which has invaded my garden and I wage a constant battle
against it . It spreads by putting out shoots which then pop up and form
the next weed. If the slightest piece breaks off it forms a new weed. I
don't know what it is called.
I have tried using roundup and it certainly seems to work but some areas
are so bad I have had to dig them up as best as I can with limited
success.
Is there a procedure for dealing with this pest?
Blair

What does it look like?

Old 04-09-2008, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 05:53:04 +0100, "bm" wrote:

I have a weed which has invaded my garden and I wage a constant battle
against it . It spreads by putting out shoots which then pop up and form the
next weed. If the slightest piece breaks off it forms a new weed. I don't
know what it is called.
I have tried using roundup and it certainly seems to work but some areas are
so bad I have had to dig them up as best as I can with limited success.
Is there a procedure for dealing with this pest?
Blair

Photo needed

Could it be

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=...=1&sa=N&tab=wi

or
http://images.google.co.uk/images?um...earch+ Images

--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 04-09-2008, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 4, 5:53 am, "bm" wrote:
I have a weed which has invaded my garden and I wage a constant battle
against it . It spreads by putting out shoots which then pop up and form the
next weed. If the slightest piece breaks off it forms a new weed. I don't
know what it is called.
I have tried using roundup and it certainly seems to work but some areas are
so bad I have had to dig them up as best as I can with limited success.
Is there a procedure for dealing with this pest?
Blair

Roundup sometimes needs 3 or 4 goes to finally kill off some weeds.
Do it in the growing season (next spring) 3 or 4 times at 2 weekly
intervals and that usually gets of anything except horsetail
(Equisetum). If you have horsetail, mulch heavily with concrete and
move house.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Christina Websell" contains
these words:

With almost nothing to go on, my bet is ground elder ;-)

Also a concrete over and move jobbie if you have a lot of it, although I
did manage to get rid of a small patch I had by digging it up and sifting
the soil for any broken roots every time it showed its head - took about a
year.

Makes a good green veg, though.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 06-09-2008, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Christina Websell" contains
these words:

With almost nothing to go on, my bet is ground elder ;-)

Also a concrete over and move jobbie if you have a lot of it, although I
did manage to get rid of a small patch I had by digging it up and sifting
the soil for any broken roots every time it showed its head - took about
year.

Makes a good green veg, though.

Yes, allegedly, I haven't been brave enough, you might tell me how to cook
it perhaps? I would be up for it (lots next door that I could eat)

Old 06-09-2008, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Christina Websell" contains
these words:

/ground elder/

Makes a good green veg, though.

Yes, allegedly, I haven't been brave enough, you might tell me how to cook
it perhaps? I would be up for it (lots next door that I could eat)

Pick the young shoots and cook as you would cook spinach.

You can use the older leaves as a flavouring in stews and casseroles,
but it is said, not after the plant has flowered.

I just cut them down and capture all the new shoots. It's really very good.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 07-09-2008, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:
| The message
| from "Christina Websell" contains
| these words:
|
| /ground elder/
|
| Makes a good green veg, though.
|
| Yes, allegedly, I haven't been brave enough, you might tell me how to cook
| it perhaps? I would be up for it (lots next door that I could eat)
|
| Pick the young shoots and cook as you would cook spinach.
|
| You can use the older leaves as a flavouring in stews and casseroles,
| but it is said, not after the plant has flowered.
|
| I just cut them down and capture all the new shoots. It's really very good.

I have eaten it - and neither my wife nor I want to repeat the experience.
It wasn't revolting - we just didn't like it. The one that I do pick is
goosefoot, which is better than spinach in most spinach recipes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bm bm is offline

"mogga" wrote in message
[...]

I have tried to attach a photo but it has been refused
I then put the photo onto a word document and this was also refused
How do I send a photo to this group?
Blair

Old 07-09-2008, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/9/08 12:30, in article , "bm"
wrote:

"mogga" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 05:53:04 +0100, "bm" wrote:

I have a weed which has invaded my garden and I wage a constant battle
against it . It spreads by putting out shoots which then pop up and form
the
next weed. If the slightest piece breaks off it forms a new weed. I don't
know what it is called.
I have tried using roundup and it certainly seems to work but some areas
are
so bad I have had to dig them up as best as I can with limited success.
Is there a procedure for dealing with this pest?
Blair

Photo needed

Could it be

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=...d=navclient-ff
&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-34,GGGL:en&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

or
http://images.google.co.uk/images?um...2006-34%2CGGGL
%3Aen&q=mare%27s+tails+plant&btnG=Search+Images

--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

I have tried to attach a photo but it has been refused
I then put the photo onto a word document and this was also refused
How do I send a photo to this group?
Blair

Post it onto a photo site like tinypic or flickr and then send the url to
this group.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-09-2008, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:
| The message
| from "Christina Websell" contains
| these words:
|
| /ground elder/
|
| Makes a good green veg, though.
|
| Yes, allegedly, I haven't been brave enough, you might tell me how to
cook
| it perhaps? I would be up for it (lots next door that I could eat)
|
| Pick the young shoots and cook as you would cook spinach.
|
| You can use the older leaves as a flavouring in stews and casseroles,
| but it is said, not after the plant has flowered.
|
| I just cut them down and capture all the new shoots. It's really very
good.

I have eaten it - and neither my wife nor I want to repeat the experience.
It wasn't revolting - we just didn't like it. The one that I do pick is
goosefoot, which is better than spinach in most spinach recipes.

I will definitely try ground elder. I have a recipe that uses split yellow
peas and spinach that I used indian spices in and was delicious. I might try
it in that instead of spinach
Although ground elder does have a smell about it that I am not sure about.

I am not against wild food. Chickweed is quite good in salads and very
young dandelion leaves. I think we should all try them. There are an
amazing amount of plants that grow in the countryside that we can eat
without buying lettuce from the supermarket.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Christina Websell" writes:

| I will definitely try ground elder. I have a recipe that uses split yellow
| peas and spinach that I used indian spices in and was delicious. I might try
| it in that instead of spinach
| Although ground elder does have a smell about it that I am not sure about.

Its taste echoes that - neither of us found the taste particularly
pleasant. I would eat it again, but she really didn't like it.

| I am not against wild food. Chickweed is quite good in salads and very
| young dandelion leaves. I think we should all try them. There are an
| amazing amount of plants that grow in the countryside that we can eat
| without buying lettuce from the supermarket.

I have tried chickweed, and find it tasteless and stringy, but would
eat it in default of anything else - I felt much the same about nettle
tops and clover. Even very young dandelions are as bitter as hell;
OK for people who like that, but I don't.

I have also tried young bramble shoots and beech leaves. I mean to
make a noyeau from the latter someday, but they are more chewy than
delicious on their own.

I can strongly recommend goosefoot, though. It has the taste of old
fashioned spinach, without either its bitterness or its wateriness.
Modern supermarket spinach is NBG in most recipes, because it tastes
of nothing and is almost entirely water. Goosefoot actually makes
BETTER flans and other dishes than spinach! And we have fed it to
guests, who were appreciative.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.