Old 29-09-2008, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Overwintering of plants

On 28 Sep, 22:45, Sacha wrote:
On 28/9/08 22:24, in article , "Anne

Welsh Jackson" wrote:
AriesVal wrote:

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 04:01:25 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:

AriesVal wrote:

Thanks Val, no I don't have a proper greenhouse yet, I have
a makedo one. I could bring them into the stables where it is
frost free, would you water, just a little or not?

Well as I said, I'm no expert but I wouldn't want them to dry out
completely as I think that would kill them. Just water occasionally
and from the saucer in the bottom, not via the top. But someone
more knowledgeable may say differently ?

I was under the impression that it was illegal to grow surfinias
from cuttings, unless you're a grower, with a licence to do so...

Oh indeed, Ray spends a lot of his time chasing people who take illegal
cuttings from Nemesia Bluebird and sell them on for thousands of pounds. Or
rather, his agent does. Those home gardening ladies are financial leeches,
I tell you.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

LOL - AFAIK it is illegal to grow them commercially, is that so? Home
gardeners doing it for their own amusement doesn't come into that
category does it? If so, I'd better skulk under the bed when the
knock comes on the door!!! Oooer, I have just remembered I told the
Mayor that I intended taking cuttings, that's it, if you don't hear
from me for a while, you know I have been carted off to the Bastille
(sob) :-)

Judith
Old 29-09-2008, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/9/08 11:00, in article
, "Judith

AriesVal wrote:

[...]

Well, I'll just have to make you a cake with a file in it. ;-)
I suppose if someone started taking hundreds or thousands of cuttings of
something and selling them at plant fairs or car boot sales, the original
breeder might get a bit upset. But using bits and pieces for oneself or
friends is not only harmless to the breeder, it would be totally unworkable
to attempt to prevent it!
Here's a site that positively encourages the practice and has an ad for
Unwins Seeds on it! ;-))
http://www.overthegardengate.net/gar...asp?linkid=536
And here's another with helpful tips and a mention of your 'illegal'
behaviour!
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/amar10/Data/Surfinia.htm

Old 29-09-2008, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

AriesVal wrote:

Thanks Val, no I don't have a proper greenhouse yet, I have
a makedo one. I could bring them into the stables where it is
frost free, would you water, just a little or not?

Well as I said, I'm no expert but I wouldn't want them to dry out
completely as I think that would kill them. Just water occasionally
and from the saucer in the bottom, not via the top. But someone
more knowledgeable may say differently ?

I was under the impression that it was illegal to grow surfinias
from cuttings, unless you're a grower, with a licence to do so...

I didn't know that
--
Having Good Character doesn't always mean following the crowd.http://ariesval.co.uk/val/

Commercially Val, it really does not apply to us.

Judith

Old 29-09-2008, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Sep, 11:24, Sacha wrote:
On 29/9/08 11:00, in article
, "Judith

AriesVal wrote:

[...]

LOL Me and my illegal behaviour, wait until Martin gets back and
reads this, can you magine his comments?

Judith
Old 29-09-2008, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/9/08 13:25, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On 29 Sep, 11:24, Sacha wrote:

snip

Well, I'll just have to make you a cake with a file in it. ;-)
I suppose if someone started taking hundreds or thousands of cuttings of
something and selling them at plant fairs or car boot sales, the original
breeder might get a bit upset. But using bits and pieces for oneself or
friends is not only harmless to the breeder, it would be totally unworkable
to attempt to prevent it!
Here's a site that positively encourages the practice and has an ad for
Unwins Seeds on it!
;-))
http://www.overthegardengate.net/gar...asp?linkid=536
And here's another with helpful tips and a mention of your 'illegal'
behaviour!http://homepage.ntlworld.com/amar10/Data/Surfinia.htm

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
(new website online)

LOL Me and my illegal behaviour, wait until Martin gets back and
reads this, can you magine his comments?

Judith

All too well!!