Old 28-09-2008, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chilli flowers again

Things are not going great with my little naga...
OK, so I sorted out my watering regime with my chillis, and the flowers
stopped dropping off before they were opening (bonus). I have two dorset
naga plants, one at work and one at home. Both indoors. The flowers on both
are opening for a good amount of time, but then when the petals start to die
off the whole bud gets dropped by the plant. I know this is usual for
chillis that have not been pollenated, but I have (painstakingly) been
dabbing each flower, every day, between 12:00 - 15:00 with a lightly
dampened paintbrush (I was using a dry one at first, when that didn't work I
started wetting it slightly) and yet I'm still having problems.

Both plants are well fed, I've given them a high nitrogen fertiliser before
they forked (while the plant was growing foliage rather than flowers) and
have since switched to potash and chilli focus. The foliage is a beautiful
dark shiny green, so I presume the plants themselves are healthy. I don't
want to put them outside to get pollonated, as I want to keep the seeds to
grow more next year and want to be sure of the strain. Can anyone provide
any other tips? All my other chilli plants are fine, but they seem to
produce tons of pollen.