Old 12-10-2008, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blackberry bushes

On 11 Oct, 19:22, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
wrote in message

As you are aware from my post I'm not really into gardening hince why
I said what I did, I have cut them but want to flatten them into the
ground I'm too far away for borrowing the goat though would love to
take up your offer.

If you're not into gardening why are you worried about brambles?

Mary

Well where I have moved to the garden is covered with them, I am one
of those sort of gardeners as and when once I've sorted out the garden
I will keep it like it. All other gardens I've had I have been lucky
the previous tenant looked after the garden where I am now lovely
location shame about the garden, perhaps if you are free have some
time on your hands call round and do it for me.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message

As you are aware from my post I'm not really into gardening hince why
I said what I did, I have cut them but want to flatten them into the
ground I'm too far away for borrowing the goat though would love to
take up your offer.

If you're not into gardening why are you worried about brambles?

Mary

Well where I have moved to the garden is covered with them, I am one
of those sort of gardeners as and when once I've sorted out the garden
I will keep it like it. All other gardens I've had I have been lucky
the previous tenant looked after the garden where I am now lovely
location shame about the garden, perhaps if you are free have some
time on your hands call round and do it for me.

The idea of a gardener with time on his/her hands is an oxymoron.

Mary- Hide quoted text -

Well if you can read I said the sort of gardener I am never did say I
was a gardener.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Wonderful berries, wonderful jam and jelly, wonderful wine, pretty flowers
full of nectar for the bees and the canes are perfect for binding straw in
lipwork.

Trust Mary to know about lipwork...

D&RFC

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-10-2008, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

The idea of a gardener with time on his/her hands is an oxymoron.

Thyme, maybe.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 13-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Registered User

I think you mean brambles, rather than blackberries. The former are a sign of a neglected garden, the latter, usually with few thorns, are the domestic varieties, which aren't a patch on the wild ones. As with most unwanted plants, there is no substitute for hard labour. Most things can be dug out and will eventually give up the ghost if you are persistent. If you cut the top growth back to near ground level and then dig out the roots, any re-growth is quite easy to deal with.

Old 13-10-2008, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Conroy contains
these words:

I think you mean brambles, rather than blackberries.

Same difference.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 17-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Registered User

There IS a difference - brambles don't fruit, blackberries do, plus brambles pop up all over the place if not dug out, whereas blackberries seem to grow from a single main stem and can be trained and contained.
Old 18-10-2008, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/10/08 12:59, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 17/10/08 22:21, in article
,
"Janet Conroy" wrote:

There IS a difference - brambles don't fruit, blackberries do, plus
brambles pop up all over the place if not dug out, whereas blackberries
seem to grow from a single main stem and can be trained and contained.Rusty
Hinge 2;819023 Wrote:
The message

from Janet Conroy
contains
these words:
-
I think you mean brambles, rather than blackberries. -

Same difference.

--
Rusty
Direct reply to: horrid dot squeak snailything zetnet point co period
uk
Separator in search of a sig

How does this account for bramble jelly?! My mother used to make that every
year.

I think not for the first time the english language is causing
confussion.
Brambles, Blackberries, Brimbles are all different names for the same
plant (there are many more, often regional) but in common speach one
would perhaps refer to a tangle of the stems as "Brambles" while a bowl
of fruit "Blackberries" but as far as I know its all quite
interchangable!

Thank you - and Martin - this is what I'd always thought but wondered if
mother had been acting under an illusion all these years. ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-10-2008, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Conroy contains
these words:

There IS a difference - brambles don't fruit, blackberries do, plus
brambles pop up all over the place if not dug out, whereas blackberries
seem to grow from a single main stem and can be trained and
contained.Rusty Hinge 2;819023 Wrote:
The message

Please don't top-post.

Brambles and blackberries are synonymous.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 18-10-2008, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 10:06:09 +0100, Sacha wrote:

How does this account for bramble jelly?! My mother used to make
that every
year.

I'm glad you asked. Blackberries are the fruit of the bramble
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A7209623

brambles are the fruit of the bramble or the blackberry, just as sloes
are the fruit of the sloe or the blackthorn - and probably many other
local names thereof.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 18-10-2008, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

I think not for the first time the english language is causing
confussion.
Brambles, Blackberries, Brimbles are all different names for the same
plant (there are many more, often regional) but in common speach one
would perhaps refer to a tangle of the stems as "Brambles" while a bowl
of fruit "Blackberries" but as far as I know its all quite
interchangable!

Since ye olden dayes when I was an anklebiter and before, the terms have
been completely interchangeable for the fruit and for the bushes,
however, while I'm not aware of any in this case, linguistic tradition
can vary from area to area.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 18-10-2008, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

I think not for the first time the english language is causing
confussion.
Brambles, Blackberries, Brimbles are all different names for the same
plant (there are many more, often regional) but in common speach one
would perhaps refer to a tangle of the stems as "Brambles" while a bowl
of fruit "Blackberries" but as far as I know its all quite
interchangable!

Since ye olden dayes when I was an anklebiter and before, the terms have
been completely interchangeable for the fruit and for the bushes,
however, while I'm not aware of any in this case, linguistic tradition
can vary from area to area.

This is such a case, but it tends to be that people use one term
more than the other. I can't remember which areas follow Charlie's
usage, but it is one of the more common. Few people misunderstand
or care if someone else uses another convention.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Transplanting Blackberry Bushes Pavel314 Edible Gardening 5 28-08-2008 09:46 PM
Blackberry Bushes Tim Edible Gardening 3 01-08-2007 08:10 PM
blackberry bushes BearDrummer Gardening 4 11-05-2007 03:29 PM
Replanting Blackberry bushes nigsprncs Gardening 0 06-09-2003 03:02 PM
Blackberry and Plum help Mike United Kingdom 4 15-07-2003 07:39 AM