Old 17-10-2008, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grit?

Tonight, Tony Buckland was using horticultural grit on the top of some pots
of bulbs. What is the difference between this grit and any other
grit/gravel?
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 17-10-2008, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
Tonight, Tony Buckland was using horticultural grit on the top of some
pots of bulbs. What is the difference between this grit and any other
grit/gravel?

Dunno! I keep chickens and use the grit I buy for them for the purpose.
Grit is grit is my guess! I suppose you could sieve your soil and get grit
out of that if you were pushed. Grit is only mashed up stones after all
that you pay a lot for more for at the garden centres than you can get it
from a farm store. I can hardly carry the bag of grit I can buy from my
local farmer for 3 quid. He's diversified into supplying food for horses,
rabbits, chickens, racing pigeons etc,and does well from it.

Old 17-10-2008, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Christina and Martin. That's what I thought, just wasn't sure if I
was missing something
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 17-10-2008, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 21:00:52 +0100, "Pete C"
wrote:

Tonight, Tony Buckland was using horticultural grit on the top of some pots
of bulbs. What is the difference between this grit and any other
grit/gravel?

Best that you get some sort of guarantee that it's been washed free
from contaminants. It *might* have come fresh from some beach
somewhere and could be somewhat salty. There are other less pleasant
alternatives.

HTH
JonH

Old 17-10-2008, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/10/08 21:00, in article , "Pete C"
wrote:

Tonight, Tony Buckland was using horticultural grit on the top of some pots
of bulbs. What is the difference between this grit and any other
grit/gravel?

Only a guess - finer/not so fine/no salts.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-10-2008, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete C wrote:
Tonight, Tony Buckland was using horticultural grit on the top of some pots
of bulbs. What is the difference between this grit and any other
grit/gravel?

It's a damn sight more expensive...

PS: Diagnosis complete, I have Japanese knotweed in my garden.

Regards

--
Alan Johnson, Geotr@ns
www.geotrans-online.de
Old 19-10-2008, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Tonight, Tony Buckland was using horticultural grit on the top of some
pots
of bulbs. What is the difference between this grit and any other
grit/gravel?

Only a guess - finer/not so fine/no salts.

How much does horticultural grit cost in comparison with the grit i buy for
my hens? £3 for more than I can use in a year, and if you're worried about
what's in it you can put it in a bucket in the bath under the tap and set it
going for an hour or so to rinse it.

Gosh I am in need of some learning here, grit for chickens, where is
Mary Fisher, I need advice on grit for the hens that I will be buying
next Spring!

Judith
Old 19-10-2008, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Martin" typed:
On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 13:56:37 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France
wrote:

On Oct 19, 2:53 am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

... On 17/10/08
21:00, in article , "Pete C"
wrote:

Tonight, Tony Buckland was using horticultural grit on the top of
some pots
of bulbs. What is the difference between this grit and any other
grit/gravel?

Only a guess - finer/not so fine/no salts.

How much does horticultural grit cost in comparison with the grit i
buy for
my hens? £3 for more than I can use in a year, and if you're
worried about
what's in it you can put it in a bucket in the bath under the tap
and set it
going for an hour or so to rinse it.

Gosh I am in need of some learning here, grit for chickens, where is
Mary Fisher, I need advice on grit for the hens that I will be buying
next Spring!

When you chip away the ice and emerge from your winter hibernation in
your Egloo?

Chickens eat grit to help their digestion, maybe.

Yes, it sticks in the gizzard for a while and acts as internal teeth, hens
being a bit short on teeth and all.

I don't know what the current economics are, but both my mother and
her mother kept chickens. My mother worked out that they cost more to
feed than the value of the eggs they produced. This was in the 1950s.

Yeah. However there's more to the equation than simple money. Home-produced
eggs are generally tastier and if you do a more up-to-date cost analysis
with 'organic' eggs, factor in the atrocious conditions hens are generally
kept in (if such a thing bothers you) and the satisfaction of producing some
of your own food then the equation changes depending on the weighting given
to each of the variables.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Old 19-10-2008, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/10/08 21:56, in article
, "Judith in
France" wrote:

On Oct 19, 2:53 am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

... On 17/10/08 21:00, in
article , "Pete C"
wrote:

Tonight, Tony Buckland was using horticultural grit on the top of some
pots
of bulbs. What is the difference between this grit and any other
grit/gravel?

Only a guess - finer/not so fine/no salts.

How much does horticultural grit cost in comparison with the grit i buy for
my hens? £3 for more than I can use in a year, and if you're worried about
what's in it you can put it in a bucket in the bath under the tap and set it
going for an hour or so to rinse it.

Gosh I am in need of some learning here, grit for chickens, where is
Mary Fisher, I need advice on grit for the hens that I will be buying
next Spring!

Judith

If your hens are free range they'll probably pick up enough grit to satisfy
their needs. It helps them grind up the food in their crop, AIUI and some
keepers advocate ground up oyster shells in the feed to help form the eggs'
shells. Makes you wonder how wild chickens ever survived........ ;-)
Jill Bowis at Kintaline will help:
Domestic Poultry and Waterfowl Solutions
Herbaceous; Herb and Alpine Nursery
Seasonal Farm Food
http://www.kintaline.co.uk

Old 19-10-2008, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
"'Mike'" wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote:
"Pete C" wrote:

Tonight, Tony Buckland was using horticultural grit on the top
of some pots of bulbs. What is the difference between this grit
and any other grit/gravel?

Only a guess - finer/not so fine/no salts.

How much does horticultural grit cost in comparison with the grit i buy
for my hens? £3 for more than I can use in a year, and if you're
worried
about what's in it you can put it in a bucket in the bath under the tap
and set it going for an hour or so to rinse it.

Not on a water meter?
Lucky you ;-)

Still a criminal waste of water, though.

Well, I don't actually *do* that, as the grit seems ok for both chickens and
spreading on the top of flower pots, I was just saying that you *could* if
you were worried about what might be in it..
And no, Mike, I am not on a water meter, I pay quite a lot for my water as
it is. Water meters are a diabolical idea for someone who has a quarter
acre of garden, 5 huts of chickens who need fresh water every day and a
Muscovy drake who needs his 20 gallon bath refreshing every couple of days.
Plus I don't want to worry how much water I'm using when I want to have a
shower or bath.

Old 20-10-2008, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 20, 9:16 am, AriesVal
wrote:
On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 13:56:37 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:
On Oct 19, 2:53 am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
[16 quoted lines suppressed]

Gosh I am in need of some learning here, grit for chickens, where is
Mary Fisher, I need advice on grit for the hens that I will be buying
next Spring!

Judith

you need grit - and oyster shell - and good layers pellets or mash for egg
production and healthy hens
--
It's amazing what you can accomplish
if you don't care who gets the credit.

Thanks Martin, Sacha and Val. I have a lot to learn.

Judith