Old 22-10-2008, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default could someone name this please?

I believe it's a jasmin, but can't find a picture in my gardening
books to match

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/pic.jpg

- thanks for any help
Old 22-10-2008, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

sedge wrote
I believe it's a jasmin, but can't find a picture in my gardening
books to match

Is it not a clematis?

Old 22-10-2008, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

sedge wrote
I believe it's a jasmin, but can't find a picture in my gardening books to
match

Clematis flammula?

Old 22-10-2008, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:45:22 +0100, "Mel"
wrote:

sedge wrote
I believe it's a jasmin, but can't find a picture in my gardening
books to match

Is it not a clematis?

It doesn't have a stringy sort of climbing habit - more a bushy shrub.

Also - should have mentioned this in the first post - very sweet and
powerful perfume.
Old 22-10-2008, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

sedge wrote

It looks like this: http://www.meditflora.com/flora/clematisfla.htm

Old 22-10-2008, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:52:16 +0100, "Mel"
wrote:

sedge wrote
I believe it's a jasmin, but can't find a picture in my gardening books to
match

Clematis flammula?

(ahem!) ... just checked my plants pics book, and it looks like you're
dead right!!

Unless there's any argument - i'll assume that's it....many thanks.

Old 22-10-2008, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/10/08 18:56, in article ,
"sedge" sedge wrote:

I believe it's a jasmin, but can't find a picture in my gardening
books to match

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/pic.jpg

- thanks for any help

Looks very like Clematis flammula. Sweetly and strongly scented late
summer/early autumn.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-10-2008, 07:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 20:45:45 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 22/10/08 18:56, in article ,
"sedge" sedge wrote:

I believe it's a jasmin, but can't find a picture in my gardening
books to match

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/pic.jpg

- thanks for any help

Looks very like Clematis flammula. Sweetly and strongly scented late
summer/early autumn.

Yes, late summer strongly scented it most certainly is. Thanks for
the confirmation!

Old 23-10-2008, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/10/08 07:22, in article ,
"sedge" sedge wrote:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 20:45:45 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 22/10/08 18:56, in article
,
"sedge" sedge wrote:

I believe it's a jasmin, but can't find a picture in my gardening
books to match

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/pic.jpg

- thanks for any help

Looks very like Clematis flammula. Sweetly and strongly scented late
summer/early autumn.

Yes, late summer strongly scented it most certainly is. Thanks for
the confirmation!

It's a lovely Clematis and I don't know why more people don't grow it.
Another good,, late clowering one which is more rampant but is also scented,
though not as strongly. Is C. rehederiana. This has pale yellow bellow
like flowers with a cowslip perfume. Both are really valuable in a 'late'
garden, as is Clerodendrum trichotomum var. fargesii, a tree like shrub that
grows to about 6m, flowers in August, smells heavenly and is followed by
china blue berries. It's hardy to about -15C though we've never had ours
tested to that point!

Old 24-10-2008, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:52:10 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Looks very like Clematis flammula. Sweetly and strongly scented late
summer/early autumn.

Yes, late summer strongly scented it most certainly is. Thanks for
the confirmation!

It's a lovely Clematis and I don't know why more people don't grow it.
Another good,, late clowering one which is more rampant but is also scented,
though not as strongly. Is C. rehederiana. This has pale yellow bellow
like flowers with a cowslip perfume. Both are really valuable in a 'late'
garden, as is Clerodendrum trichotomum var. fargesii, a tree like shrub that
grows to about 6m, flowers in August, smells heavenly and is followed by
china blue berries. It's hardy to about -15C though we've never had ours
tested to that point!

Thanks for those tips, Sacha. I don't have a garden big enough for
the Clerodendrum trichotomum but it sounds wonderful. The C.flammula
in my pic is growing round a short fence. I'm wondering if this is a
self-supporting shrubby plant or if it needs to grow round something?
Also, my garden is surrounded by trees and/or buildings and gets good
sunlight but only perhaps 30% of the daily arc in any one position. Is
that enough sun, do you think, for the clematis?

Old 24-10-2008, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Charlie can answer those questions more precisely than I can. But it does
need some support. Ours is growing up one pillar of a pergola and while it
gets plenty of sun and light, it is also situated where it is surrounded by
greenhouses on two sides, the remainder of the pergola stretching down a
path on the other and a couple of large trees and a yew hedge on the fourth.
So I'd guess yours is going to be okay.

Old 24-10-2008, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

It's a lovely Clematis and I don't know why more people don't grow it.
Another good,, late clowering one which is more rampant but is also
scented, though not as strongly. Is C. rehederiana. This has pale
yellow bellow like flowers with a cowslip perfume.

I put a C. rehderiana against a SE-facing wall in April 2006. It sat there
and sulked, died off in winter, and didn't reappear last year or this. I
reckon it's gone to the greta compost heap in the sky. As far as I can tell
from the literature, it's a bit temperamental.

Anyone know the secret of success with it?

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 24-10-2008, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 24/10/08 08:22, in article
,

wrote:

[...]

Clematis flammula comes from the med, it is a large almost rampant
climber it can happily grow side ways or up or both and can be pruned
back each winter but I would exercise caution as they can be killed with
too harsh a treatment at the wrong time, wait till you see signs of new
growth and cut back to that. It can be short lived especially on good
soil with a good moisture supply so although like all clematis it needs
water to establish, after that treat it mean! no food or water.
To flower really well it needs maximum sun but like most plants it will
put up with less.
If it dies suddenly for no apparent reason, thats normal! so save seed
(they are easy from seed)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 24-10-2008, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/10/08 11:47, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

In article ,
lid
says...
Sacha wrote:

It's a lovely Clematis and I don't know why more people don't grow it.
Another good,, late clowering one which is more rampant but is also
scented, though not as strongly. Is C. rehederiana. This has pale
yellow bellow like flowers with a cowslip perfume.

I put a C. rehderiana against a SE-facing wall in April 2006. It sat there
and sulked, died off in winter, and didn't reappear last year or this. I
reckon it's gone to the greta compost heap in the sky. As far as I can tell
from the literature, it's a bit temperamental.

Anyone know the secret of success with it?

They do have a habit of dieing, look for a young strong growing plant and
plant while growing, your wall may also have been drier than you thought,
it is easy in the rain to assume a plant has been watered and I seem to
remember 06 was a nice spring!

I'm glad I didn't know it was temperamental! Ours is on a south facing wall
and gets a lot of sun. It also gets wind and horizontal rain but it is
flowering right now and is at second storey level. We've had it there about
three years, I think. A friend who had it growing up his house in Looe,
Cornwall, had to hack it back fiercely every year, it was so rampant. As
you say, Charlie, it must be to do with the plant itself and choosing a good
'doer'.