Old 11-11-2008, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default pansy assassin

On Nov 11, 4:07 pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 08:05:35 -0800 (PST), Judith in France

wrote:
On Nov 11, 4:03 pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 07:59:24 -0800 (PST), Judith in France

wrote:
On Nov 11, 1:37 pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 03:46:22 -0800 (PST), Judith in France

wrote:
On Nov 10, 11:29 pm, Sally Thompson wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:19:08 +0000, Judith in France wrote
(in article
):

On Nov 10, 1:19 pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from stuart noble contains these words:

Ah. Copper wire you say. Maybe I'll try a length of 2.5mm cable round
the base of the trough, or would it be better round the top edge?
I'd better locate the slugs too. Wouldn't want to be trapping them
inside the troughs :-)

They'll be in the soil of the trough.

That's why I suggested hint slug pellets /hint.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

I tried organic methods, once, of getting rid keeping slugs and snails
off my plants in pots, but, they were in the soil, I handpicked
several times but they still came back and I resorted to slug
pellets. On my parents grave, I have an awful problem when putting
fresh flowers there, within a couple of days they are almost eaten!
They are buried in a lovely old flint walled churchyard and I don't
like to throw green pellets around, any tips???

Judith, you can get organic slug pellets now and I have used them with great
success. They act by stopping the slug from feeding and you don't get those
revolting dead bodies. They are safe for birds to eat (both the slugs and
the pellets). Hint. They are even safe for chickens to eat - I checked with
the manufacturer! They are called Growing Success Advanced Slug Killer and
supposedly rain fast (though I think our recent weather might be a
challenge). The tub I have will last me ages since it suggests a maximum of
four applications per crop. Not sure whether that is because an overdose will
harm the crop (too much iron) or whether four is the maximum necessary.

[Aside - anyone hear my husband ask his slug question on Gardeners' Question
Time broadcast on 2nd November?]

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

I didn't hear your husband, unfortunately Sally as I can't get Radio 4
here, shame.

Of course you can use your PC.http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/radio4fm/?fm

Listen to a recording of GQhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00f92b6
--

Martin

Oh Thanks Martin, thank you, I go on there now.

The BBC appears to have degraded the sound quality for expats.
It only works outside UK if you first install Real Player spit.
--

Martin

I've just listened to the 4 p.m. News, it was great, good quality
sound and there is a programme about traffic at the moment, which I am
listening to as I write.

Music sounds a bit tinny.
--

Martin

No, mine doesn't!

Judith
Old 11-11-2008, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

What happened to him Martin and how old is/was he?

Pansy poisoning...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 11-11-2008, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
Judith in France wrote:

I tried organic methods, once, of getting rid keeping slugs and snails
off my plants in pots, but, they were in the soil, I handpicked
several times but they still came back and I resorted to slug
pellets. On my parents grave, I have an awful problem when putting
fresh flowers there, within a couple of days they are almost eaten!
They are buried in a lovely old flint walled churchyard and I don't
like to throw green pellets around, any tips???

Throw blue ones?

D&RFC

The problem in the country graveyard where my parents are
buried isn't slugs, it's rabbits, so slug pellets wouldn't work...
shotgun pellets might!

Ah there I can help. Have operational 10 bore, a big stack of rifles
from ·22" to (wait for it) 4-bore.

However, I think that the slugs from the last might be a tad unwelcome
in a graveyard, being an inch in diameter, and weighing-in at a tad over
a quarter of a pound...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 11-11-2008, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from stuart noble contains these words:

Interesting. I can't see why a slug would eat through the stalk but not
touch the rest of the plant.
I'll have a browse for pansy diseases but the plants are in perfect
condition. They just aren't attached to their roots, that's all :-)

They seem to like stalks, and the flahs are out of reach.

Slugs may not have the intelligence to realise that by noshing the stalk
they bring the juicy flower into range.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 11-11-2008, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

Stick to Adnams, nobody ever used Adnams to kill slugs.

Ale connor?

Do you wear leather breeches?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 11-11-2008, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Gordon H contains these words:
In message , Martin
writes

Stick to Adnams, nobody ever used Adnams to kill slugs.

Unfortunately Morrisons have removed Adnams (the strong ale) from their
special offer range of 4 bottle for £5.
I think that also applies to Oyster Stout.

I'm now restricted to Marstons Pedigree.

Have a look in Lidl - they were selling Shepherd Neame's Late Red for
less than that. They seem to change their decent beers quite regularly.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 11-11-2008, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Bobbie contains these words:

LOL I wonder if it would be any good at all asking a question about
gardening?

Oh yes, if you hand round (say) a few glasses of Hobgoblin, or Old Bob.
Welcome to the fireside, BTW.

I keep seeing this person posting URG rules, is he a joker?

I have an idea it's a 'she', BICBW-IOA

Two chaps who are obviously so knowledgeable about beer and lager will
no doubt be able to tell me if Bowles Mauve Erysimum will flower next
year too.

How much beer have you given it?

I was always under the impression this was a perennial, but
was told today that it was not.
It has flowered prolifically for the past 3 years.

It's perennial then. (apparantly, anything which lives for three or more
years is a perennial - the term doesn't mean 'immortal'...)

I have done nothing

That's an admission

but cut it back each Spring, This year is has been in flower and is
still in flower, from March.

Oh.

I could of course look on Google, but this looks a lot more fun, I might
even learn if Real Ale is any good for killing mozzies.

If you hit them with the bottle, yes, very good.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 11-11-2008, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rusty_Hinge
writes
The message
from Gordon H contains these words:
In message , Martin
writes

Stick to Adnams, nobody ever used Adnams to kill slugs.

Unfortunately Morrisons have removed Adnams (the strong ale) from their
special offer range of 4 bottle for £5.
I think that also applies to Oyster Stout.

I'm now restricted to Marstons Pedigree.

Have a look in Lidl - they were selling Shepherd Neame's Late Red for
less than that. They seem to change their decent beers quite regularly.

I don't know that one, must take a look...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 11-11-2008, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
[...]

My good friend Anne told me you were not only a mine of information but
a barrel of laughs, Seems she was right.
I did actually know about the Bowles Mauve but I needed an excuse for an
introduction. I have lurked for many months. posted on occasion, soaked
up as much new knowledge as was available and had a lorra laughs into
the bargain.
How do you do Rusty?
My name is Bobbie I am a Grandma of 2, Scottish by birth, now living in
Dorset and a very keen gardener.

About those mozzies. Do cans have the same effect?

Old 11-11-2008, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Gordon H contains these words:

Have a look in Lidl - they were selling Shepherd Neame's Late Red for
less than that. They seem to change their decent beers quite regularly.

I don't know that one, must take a look...

Nectar - but I expect that's been replaced. I *BELIEVE* it was Hobgoblin
and another good'un last week, BICBW

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 11-11-2008, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Bobbie contains these words:

My good friend Anne told me you were not only a mine of information but
a barrel of laughs, Seems she was right.

Oo-er! Would this be the Anne who has a black cat sitting on the besom
with her?

I did actually know about the Bowles Mauve but I needed an excuse for an
introduction.

Bowles Mauve? Is that anything like sending the wood down the green like
an express train and smashing the jack into the ditch at the end?

I have lurked for many months. posted on occasion, soaked
up as much new knowledge as was available and had a lorra laughs into
the bargain.

Hmmm. You'd prolly enjoy the Shed...

How do you do Rusty?

Add water in a slightly acidic atmosphere, and it does itself innit.

My name is Bobbie I am a Grandma of 2, Scottish by birth, now living in
Dorset and a very keen gardener.

Och, ceud fàilte! Tha me Sheddeach, agus gàradair.

About those mozzies. Do cans have the same effect?

No. If you trap a mozzie in your cans, it bites your ear.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 11-11-2008, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Nov 10, 3:57 pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

I tried organic methods, once, of getting rid keeping slugs and snails
off my plants in pots, but, they were in the soil, I handpicked
several times but they still came back and I resorted to slug
pellets. On my parents grave, I have an awful problem when putting
fresh flowers there, within a couple of days they are almost eaten!
They are buried in a lovely old flint walled churchyard and I don't
like to throw green pellets around, any tips???

Throw blue ones?

D&RFC

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

I tried egg shells Rusty, that was a waste of time.

I've used soft soap/green soap with success against slugs and snails, they
hate the stuff. You can buy soft soap/green soap in small tubs in some
garden centres, it's a sticky brown compound. The soap must be made with
potassium, not sodium. I spray the soil around my plants with a solution
of this stuff and it seems to work. I also rub the soft soap around the
edges of my trays in the greenhouse, the slugs won't cross it, like garlic
to vampires.

someone

Old 11-11-2008, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Now I like the sound of that. I use a soap solution for black fly and
it also works pretty well with most aphids. I just continue to look
for organic alternatives to all the toxic chemicals we have used for
so many years. Not only that, the chemicals kill off the good guys. I
have never tried it against slugs. I will now.

Bobbie

Purple pansy Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 12:46 AM
gulf fritillary/assassin bug...orange cajunpaisley Gardening 4 04-08-2008 05:19 PM
Forest Red Pansy Problem BiG Orange Gardening 0 20-05-2003 10:08 PM
Pansy trouble Kathy Gardening 0 22-02-2003 07:39 PM
Pansy Black Spot? trevor.appleton United Kingdom 0 19-11-2002 07:08 PM