Old 04-01-2009, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seeds of Italy

I've had a tantalising catalogue from www.seedsofitaly.com For those
growing their own veg and herbs it has some delicious looking things in it.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-01-2009, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Old 04-01-2009, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
I've had a tantalising catalogue from www.seedsofitaly.com For those
growing their own veg and herbs it has some delicious looking things in it.

I buy Italian seeds for much of my veg now. Not only do they seem to
provide a better percentage of germination but, in my experience, they
also give a lot more seeds per packet. And the cropping is excellent.
French beans, celeriac, tomatoes, red onions (esp. San Marzano and
Costoluto Fiorentino) and a couple of others have proved superb. The
tomatoes which, when used to make a sauce, provide a wonderful flavour ;
I was told by an Italian friend in Le Marche that one must never cut
toms when adding to sauce, but rather squash them by hand. Boy, does
that improve the flavour!!

I normally buy seeds during my regular visits to Italy - they are
cheaper there than the same seeds bought in the UK [which appeals to my
Scottish nature :-))..] but one has to be careful not to buy ones which
require climatic conditions which the UK cannot guarantee. It's worth a
little research before travelling. Funnily enough, I also acquire
certain seeds in Italy for my small wildflower meadow .... and they
seems to do well too.

Viva sementi d'Italia!!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 04-01-2009, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/1/09 11:52, in article , "Gopher"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
[...]

Interesting to read this. The sale of veg seeds has overtaken the sale of
ornamentals seeds for a couple of years now. Certainly, we all know
Italians take food flavours very seriously and I wonder if the warmer
climate helps seeds to ripen better, perhaps?

Old 04-01-2009, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 4, 11:52*am, Gopher wrote:
I was told by an Italian friend in Le Marche that one must never cut
toms when adding to sauce, but rather squash them by hand. Boy, does
that improve the flavour!!

Very Zen that ;o) But it's true - with the added 'emotions' that one
transmit via the squashing of the fruits, that good feeling when
cooking, it all adds up and turn a simple dish into a fantastic tasty
one. When I'm low, I cook - it helps me pick up and I think of the
food I mix, the herbs I pick. Roll on spring ...!
Old 04-01-2009, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 11:28:59 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

They are brilliant - I got the Divinnel beans one year, amongst other
things, and got a fantastic crop. Also the gourds are so beautiful -
one would get them all! Happy New Year Sacha )

Happy 2009 and good growing for everyone. I think the tomatoes in that
catalogue are melting in my mouth already!

That has made my day! Happy new year to you both!
Old 04-01-2009, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 4, 12:15*pm, Martin wrote:
Judging from the appearances of Italian house gardens and the results achieved
by Italians with allotments, they are neither *most enthusiastic nor
knowledgeable gardeners.

Petrus de Crescentius (also sometimes known as Pietro de Crescentiis
or Pietro De’crescenzi) had over 10 books translated in many languages
in the 15th century, the most important texts on agriculture, husbandy
and horticulture. The Italians had the first wall gardens, much more
elaborate than those of England Medieval monasteries, most of the land
was owned by the church there and they grew absolutely everything that
could be grown. During the crusades, the knigths brought back lots of
plants, seeds and ideas to England. (Don't get me started I'm writing
a dissertation atm ... ;o)
Old 04-01-2009, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 15:06:41 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 4/1/09 12:15, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 11:52:07 +0000, Gopher wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
[...]

But the Italians have a long history of growing food in their 'orto' and
gathering it from the wild, which some do to this day. There's even a
Madonna dell' Orto. I'm quite surprised to read this, Martin because I
must admit that my impression is different. I think their ornamental
gardens are quite different to ours so perhaps we can't compare the two.

Take a look at almost any Italian house garden and you will find it unscarred
after.

However, their love food and good, high quality fresh ingredients usually
leads to good stuff either grown at home or sold in markets, IME.

They are pain in the butt as far as my wife is concerned. They take
over a clean
weed free allotment garden, lose interest after a few weeks and hand it back
overgrown with weeds. Basically they don't seem to realise that work is
involved
in producing vegetables.

And your butt obviously feels the same as that belonging to your Senior
Management :-)). Very sensible - but you make a rather a sweeping
generalisation. You (or SM) can possibly cite one or two specific
examples .... but can you, Martin, with hand on heart, categorically
state that the great garden-loving, veggie-growing British public are
not prey to the same fallibility.... even occasionally? I'm afraid that
my hat is in the ring alongside that of your friend Sacha, on this
occasion.

Regardless .... a very HNY to both of you!!!
--
Tom Withycombe
Milck House

Old 04-01-2009, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 4, 3:06*pm, Sacha wrote:
But the Italians have a long history of growing food in their 'orto' and
gathering it from the wild, which some do to this day. *There's even a
Madonna dell' Orto. * *I'm quite surprised to read this, Martin because I
must admit that my impression is different. *I think their ornamental
gardens are quite different to ours so perhaps we can't compare the two.
However, their love food and good, high quality fresh ingredients usually
leads to good stuff either grown at home or sold in markets, IME.

Here a photo I took last year in Napoli. Like Rose Prince said,
'Naples suburban gardens are planted with produce right up to the
front door. Italian children may not frolick on lawns, but they get to
eat the sweetest tomato sauce'. Happy dreams ;o)

http://cjoint.com/?bewZPFuA1g
Old 04-01-2009, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 4, 9:08*pm, wrote:
On Jan 4, 3:06*pm, Sacha wrote:

But the Italians have a long history of growing food in their 'orto' and
gathering it from the wild, which some do to this day. *There's even a
Madonna dell' Orto. * *I'm quite surprised to read this, Martin because I
must admit that my impression is different. *I think their ornamental
gardens are quite different to ours so perhaps we can't compare the two..
However, their love food and good, high quality fresh ingredients usually
leads to good stuff either grown at home or sold in markets, IME.

Here a photo I took last year in Napoli. Like Rose Prince said,
'Naples suburban gardens are planted with produce right up to the
front door. Italian children may not frolick on lawns, but they get to
eat the sweetest tomato sauce'. Happy dreams ;o)

http://cjoint.com/?bewZPFuA1g

The prices are cheaper there than in France. The cost of food in
France has soared recently. We had an awful year growing our veg, not
exactly sure why.

Judith
Old 04-01-2009, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
I've had a tantalising catalogue from www.seedsofitaly.com For those
growing their own veg and herbs it has some delicious looking things
in it.

Mmmm, looks very interesting. I know I must order seeds soon, but from
where? The choice is mind numbing!
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 04-01-2009, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 4, 9:50*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 11:12:41 -0800 (PST), Judith in France

"Martin" wrote:

[...]

Creep! LOL

Regardless .... a very HNY to both of you!!!

My wife is the secretary of a gardening club/allotment with members from all
over Europe. After 20 years in the club, so far only the Italians consistently
fail to produce. I spent half my working life in Italy.

The British, Belgian, French and German gardeners are the most productive in the
club. The Italian women are the best dressed,
--

Martin

They certainly are. *Edward was working in Parma Hospital years ago
and I joined him for about 3 weeks, I felt like the hick up from the
country. *The French women do not come anywhere near them for chic.

That's very true. In general Italian women have better figures too or at least
the ones who wear nice clothes do.

but there is a limit to what a normal female gardener wears when digging in
manure.
--

Martin

Oooh, I dunno, ask Sacha what I wear :-)

Judith
Old 04-01-2009, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 4, 9:58*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 13:17:42 -0800 (PST), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jan 4, 9:08*pm, wrote:
On Jan 4, 3:06*pm, Sacha wrote:

[...]

I haven't been into Naples, although I have been to Sorrento and Pompeii.
and have driven several times between Rome and Sorrento.

I have always tried to stay in small towns or villages when I had business
trips. In France & Germany I've always noticed gardens full of vegetables..
I can remember other people commenting on the lack of anything in house gardens
around Rome and Turin. I used Google Street View to try and find nice house
gardens in Milan, I found one garden full of roses and that was it. My wife and
I watched the programme about Palladio on BBC 4 this evening. Nice houses, but
boring unimaginative gardens.
--

Martin

I have been to Naples and loved it especially the food. I didn't see
any gardens.

Judith