Old 06-01-2009, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default when are lemons ripe?

Hi, does anyone please know how I can tell when the lemons on my
lemon tree are ripe and ready to be plucked? Thanks.

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 6
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Old 07-01-2009, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hedley Smith" wrote
Hi, does anyone please know how I can tell when the lemons on my
lemon tree are ripe and ready to be plucked? Thanks.

When they turn the same colour as the ones you can buy. Yellow.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-01-2009, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Hedley Smith" wrote

Hi, does anyone please know how I can tell when the lemons on my
lemon tree are ripe and ready to be plucked? Thanks.

When they turn the same colour as the ones you can buy. Yellow.

That is a common myth. Only some lemons go yellow when ripe; many
remain green, and there is also a chemical trigger for yellowing,
as there is for the ripening of many fruits.

Of course, modern varieties are bred to go yellow, because everyone
knows that green lemons are unripe ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:
"Hedley Smith" wrote
Hi, does anyone please know how I can tell when the lemons on my
lemon tree are ripe and ready to be plucked? Thanks.

When they turn the same colour as the ones you can buy. Yellow.

Rather, when they are a deeper yellow than the ones in the shops.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 07-01-2009, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In fruits there are many methods t understand when they are ripen.
I specifically don't know those of citrus fruits,
but using them enough I think you can easily understand if they are
ripen because of the not ripen ones are so tough and you don't succeed
in taking enough juice from them.
For the same reason if you try to compress them, you realize they are
more, or less tough. Of course if their peel is thick is more difficult
to make this simple test.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from news-search
contains these words:

In fruits there are many methods t understand when they are ripen.
I specifically don't know those of citrus fruits,
but using them enough I think you can easily understand if they are
ripen because of the not ripen ones are so tough and you don't succeed
in taking enough juice from them.
For the same reason if you try to compress them, you realize they are
more, or less tough. Of course if their peel is thick is more difficult
to make this simple test.

Simple test is to see if they 'come orft in yer 'and, missus...'

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 08-01-2009, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge ha scritto:
The message
from news-search
contains these words:

?
Old 08-01-2009, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from news-search
contains these words:
Rusty_Hinge ha scritto:
The message
from news-search
contains these words:

In fruits there are many methods t understand when they are ripen.
I specifically don't know those of citrus fruits,
but using them enough I think you can easily understand if they are
ripen because of the not ripen ones are so tough and you don't succeed
in taking enough juice from them.
For the same reason if you try to compress them, you realize they are
more, or less tough. Of course if their peel is thick is more difficult
to make this simple test.

Simple test is to see if they 'come orft in yer 'and, missus...'

?

Ah - should have tempered the wind to the shorn lamb...

I won't try to translate into Italian - that would make it totally
incomprehensible: simple test is to see if they drop off in your hand.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 09-01-2009, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge ha scritto:
The message
from news-search
contains these words:
Rusty_Hinge ha scritto:
The message
from news-search
contains these words:

In fruits there are many methods t understand when they are ripen.
I specifically don't know those of citrus fruits,
but using them enough I think you can easily understand if they are
ripen because of the not ripen ones are so tough and you don't succeed
in taking enough juice from them.
For the same reason if you try to compress them, you realize they are
more, or less tough. Of course if their peel is thick is more difficult
to make this simple test.
Simple test is to see if they 'come orft in yer 'and, missus...'

?

Ah - should have tempered the wind to the shorn lamb...

beeehheehhee behheehee behheeee ;-))

I won't try to translate into Italian -

This is not necessary.

that would make it totally
incomprehensible:

If you want you can try, I'm not your Italian teacher.

simple test is to see if they drop off in your hand.

OK, thanks, Sir.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 6, 11:39*pm, Hedley Smith wrote:
Hi, does anyone please know how I can tell when the lemons on my
lemon tree are ripe and ready to be plucked? *Thanks.

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 6
Web @http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Whe they taste sweet of course!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2009, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from news-search
contains these words:
Rusty_Hinge ha scritto:
The message

from contains these words:
On Jan 6, 11:39 pm, Hedley Smith wrote:

Hi, does anyone please know how I can tell when the lemons on my
lemon tree are ripe and ready to be plucked? Thanks.

Whe they taste sweet of course!!!!!!!!!

#
Lemon tree very pretty
And the lemon flower is sweet,
But the fruit of the poor lemon
Is impossible to eat...

Rustic, have you never heard about citrus jam and limoncello?
Lemon is neither sweet nor poor.
It is very ...rich in vitamines.

http://www.abc.net.au/tasmania/stories/s1404279.htm
http://www.lentinionline.it/cucina/m...ata_limoni.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limoncello

# denotes (flat) keysignature - the above is a quotation from a (I
presume) West Indian song.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig