Old 16-01-2009, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bubble Wrap

This is a really daft question but how on earth do you affix bubble wrap to
the greenhouse?!! Both my husband and I are flummoxed. The wrap comes with
2 kinds of black plastic clips; a long straight thing and a round washer
type one. But how do you use them?

Many thanks.

Old 16-01-2009, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Forgot to mention that it's an aluminium greenhouse.

Old 16-01-2009, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I did it like this -

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...tuff/Jan16.jpg

I ran several lengths of fishing line the length of the greenhouse, after
drilling the necessary holes, then fed the bubble wrap off the roll in
between the fishing line and the glass.

--
Steve

Never shake the ketchup bottle. None'll come, and then a lot'll

Old 16-01-2009, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Forgot to mention that it's an aluminium greenhouse.

There are channels in the aluminium, you need the green plastic clips
that push in one way taking a bit of bubble wrap with it then you turn 90
degrees and they lock
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 16-01-2009, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:03:49 -0000, shazzbat wrote:

I did it like this -

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...tuff/Jan16.jpg

I ran several lengths of fishing line the length of the greenhouse, after
drilling the necessary holes, then fed the bubble wrap off the roll in
between the fishing line and the glass.

Does lining the greenhouse with bubble wrap really make all that difference
to the temp Steve ?

Yes it makes a huge difference even if you are not heating, without
bubble wrap a greenhouse without heat will not be frost free until almost
the same time as the garden!

Old 16-01-2009, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:03:49 -0000, shazzbat wrote:

I did it like this -

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...tuff/Jan16.jpg

I ran several lengths of fishing line the length of the greenhouse,
after
drilling the necessary holes, then fed the bubble wrap off the roll in
between the fishing line and the glass.

Does lining the greenhouse with bubble wrap really make all that
difference
to the temp Steve ?

Yes it makes a huge difference even if you are not heating, without
bubble wrap a greenhouse without heat will not be frost free until almost
the same time as the garden!
--

I haven't made any measurement of temps (since I dropped the thermometer
whilst unwrapping it !) , but it certainly feels milder, and watering cans

Steve

Old 16-01-2009, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/1/09 16:23, in article , "shazzbat"
wrote:

snip
And my Schwartzkopfs are looking a bit sad at the
moment.

Steve

You have them outside?!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-01-2009, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 16/1/09 16:23, in article , "shazzbat"
wrote:

snip
And my Schwartzkopfs are looking a bit sad at the
moment.

Steve

You have them outside?!
--

Yes. They've always overwintered in the bubble wrapped, unheated greenhouse
before :-(

Steve

Old 16-01-2009, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/1/09 20:01, in article , "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 16/1/09 16:23, in article , "shazzbat"
wrote:

snip
And my Schwartzkopfs are looking a bit sad at the
moment.

Steve

You have them outside?!
--

Yes. They've always overwintered in the bubble wrapped, unheated greenhouse
before :-(

Steve

Ah, okay! Not 'outside', outside but frost free, presumably?

Old 18-01-2009, 01:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Jan, 14:48, "Mel" wrote:
This is a really daft question but how on earth do you affix bubble wrap to
the greenhouse?!! *Both my husband and I are flummoxed. *The wrap comes with
2 kinds of black plastic clips; a long straight thing and a round washer
type one. *But how do you use them?

Many thanks.

The long straight 'thing' should have a wider base a pointed top.

You twist the wide base in to the channel in the greenhouse frame and
push the bubble wrap onto the pointed end. The washer is then pushed
on to the pointed bit and holds the BW in place.

Fiddly job to do.

But the BW certainly keeps my greenhouse from freezing up.

Steve