Old 18-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Registered User

Default vegetable plot soil

Hello ,My vegetable plot soil is to alkaline ,I have read that applying green sulpher powder should make it more acidic,But i don't know what quantity to apply,Also if anyone knows of any other means of making my soil more acidic
i will be most grateful for the advice
Old 18-01-2009, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 15:56:40 +0000, margaret ellis
wrote:

Hello ,My vegetable plot soil is to alkaline ,I have read that applying
green sulpher powder should make it more acidic,But i don't know what
quantity to apply,Also if anyone knows of any other means of making my
soil more acidic
i will be most grateful for the advice

What veg do you want to grow. Many do better in an alkaline soil.
Check before you do anything to make it acidic. Have you done a soil
ph test?

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-01-2009, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hello ,My vegetable plot soil is to alkaline ,I have read that applying
green sulpher powder should make it more acidic,But i don't know what
quantity to apply,Also if anyone knows of any other means of making my
soil more acidic
i will be most grateful for the advice

What veg do you want to grow. Many do better in an alkaline soil.
Check before you do anything to make it acidic. Have you done a soil
ph test?

Pam in Bristol

If it is alkali ne but not so much as to stop things growing, then just
growing cabbages, or just about anythin else in it will sort this out after
a few years!

Cheers

John

Old 20-01-2009, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"margaret ellis" wrote

Hello ,My vegetable plot soil is to alkaline ,I have read that applying
green sulpher powder should make it more acidic,But i don't know what
quantity to apply,Also if anyone knows of any other means of making my
soil more acidic
i will be most grateful for the advice

How alkaline is it, what is the pH?
Ours is acidic, ph 5.5 or worse, and we have to use bags of lime each year
in order to grow brassicas so if it's only just alkaline you are very lucky.
Unless you want to grow Blueberries.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-01-2009, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Jan, 15:56, margaret ellis margaret.ellis.
wrote:
Hello ,My vegetable plot soil is to alkaline ,I have read that applying
green sulpher powder should make it more acidic,But i don't know what
quantity to apply,Also if anyone knows of any other means of making my
soil more acidic
i will be most grateful for the advice

--
margaret ellis

i agree with bob regarding ph found out what your ph is before you do
anything .is it that bad .will try to get back mick dahliaman.