Old 08-02-2009, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Acacia frost damage

In article ,
says...
On 8/2/09 08:37, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,

says...
In article
,
Judith in France wrote:

I have Acaias in my garden but as there are several types, I'm unsure
which one it is. It's certainly not the one I had in UK which had
little yellow fluffy flowers and was planted direct into a planting
hole in a conservatory, that was not hardy, hence it was grown
inside. The ones I have here are as tough as old boots, they have to
be, when they are in leaf and flower about May, I will post a photo
and perhaps someone can identify them for me.

As far as I know, none are hardy in the colder parts of the UK.
This winter is going to see off a LOT of the more tender plants
that people have been putting in over the past decade.

I shall have to see if my Erythrina crista-gallis, Albitzia
julibrissin and pomegranate (in a pot) come through. The feijoa
(also in a pot) may also have trouble if it gets much colder.

My Ipomea indica in the bed definitely won't - but it didn't do
anything much this year and only just came through last winter.
It was worth a go as it layers readily!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The first lot of serious cold in January took us down to an unexpected
-9c and as you predict above many plants I thought would be "OK" have
gone even those with wall protection have not escaped but the Feijoa
(Acca) is absolutely untouched dispite being freestanding given that I
have lost most of my Phormiums you can tell its been very cold here.

It's extraordinary, Charlie. You've had it worse than we have here, so near
Dartmoor and yet you're supposed, if anything to have a milder time of
winter in Cornwall. This has been a very peculiar winter where snow and ice
are concerned and it doesn't sound as if it's over yet. In fact, having
written that I looked out of the window and it's now sleeting.

At least I no longer have to worry about my Acacias - they are all dead!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 08-02-2009, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

At least I no longer have to worry about my Acacias - they are all dead!

That's sad. What I shall be interested to see is whether all of the
eucalypts that people have been planting everywhere come through.
I think that it will depend a lot on what this cold spell is followed
by.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...
On 8/2/09 08:37, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

In article ,

says...
In article
,
Judith in France wrote:

[...]

Are you sure? I wouldn't be certain about anything until the spring.
Usually, though, it would be the other way round - plants which don't look
dead now just fall over when you expect them to start growing.

Maybe you'll be lucky and one or two might resprout come the warmer(?)
weather.

--
Jeff

Old 11-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Registered User

Wink

Well I'II have to check the Albizia julibrissin, its 3+ years old in the same garden as that large Acacia that has gone brown.

Interestingly all the Grevilleas, 'Canberra Gem' etc, whilst I know they are pretty hardy have come through unscathed whilst some of the Callistemons (C. Citrinus etc.) have been cut back to the ground, whilst others like C. phoeniceus in a much more frosted situation have come through ok???

Don't know what the problem with Phormiums is, all the tenax and cookerium varieties here have come through no probs as with the 3' Cordyline Dark Star (Red) with 3" wide leaves unprotected, though the scrawny one in a pot next to it has dropped all its leaves, but the tips ok. Even got a crawny phormium in a pot came through.

Stupidly left my Phoenix palm out all winter along with potted Cannas...money down the tubes as they are all mush. Palms will regrow I reckon as spike is OK so far but leaves have gone.... Mulch is getting thin in a few gardens, hope I don't have loads of clients calling me up to ask where there Cannas have gone?? Hopefully they'll be OK as there is so much to them and they are so vigorious that a few rhizomes underneath survive when they are in the ground.