Old 12-02-2009, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Michauxia tchihatcheffii

Hello Sacha

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
Being either an optimist or a fool - or both - and no, I don't want your
opinions, thanks ;-)) - I'm going to have another try at getting this to
germinate. I haven't sown them for two or three years and last time, I
sowed two packets and not one came up. Obviously, I can read the
directions on a seed packet but has anyone any secret hints, tips or
suggestions for getting some success this time?

I think that this may be a question of seed viability rather than technique.

I grew a few of these some years ago, and they germinated OK with my normal
technique. ie damp sterilised mixture of multipurpose & vermiculite with pot
in a plastic bag and a little bottom heat.

For me this was just the start of the problems (Slugs love them and so do
white fly.) I did manage to grow a couple of plants until they flowered and
the flowers are magnificent, but I came to the view that they were too much
hastle, and have not tried again since. I did not manage to ripen any seed.

John

--
John Rye
Hadleigh IPSWICH England
Old 12-02-2009, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/2/09 11:02, in article , "John Rye"
wrote:

Hello Sacha

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
[...]

Thanks, John. I think. ;-) I don't think we have a problem here with
propagating conditions, having heated benches and all but I think you must
be right about seed viability. This time I've bought from Chilterns and
last time I used a different supplier. Their blurb says they've received a
new batch of seed (or WTTE) so we'll see what happens. I'm also going to
ask Derry Watkins of Special Plants if she has them She used to do them but
I didn't think to look through her catalogue before - silly of me.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-02-2009, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha,

Ray Brown lists this if Derry can't supply and his seeds tend to be
rather fresher than some of the larger seed companies. Might be worth
contacting him. With regard to getting the seeds to germinate, try
sowing them on the surface of moistened, heat-sterilised, low nutrient
compost (I used just peat and sand when I raised some) and stretching
cling film tightly over the container to maintain very high humidity
until germination. A temp. of about 21C seems to do the trick and if
there's a night-time drop, so much the better. The seeds seem to need
light to germinate, so don't cover them.

As for pronunciation, I've always said Mitch-awks-ee-ah chi-hatch-eff-
ee-eye and have never been pulled up on it.