Old 12-02-2009, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snow point?

On 12/2/09 22:22, in article , "Yuri"
wrote:

snip

It was April and the Aboriginals in a remote part of
Northern Australia asked their new elder if the coming winter was
going to be cold or mild.

Since he was an elder in a modern community he had never
been taught the old secrets. When he looked at the sky he couldn't tell
what the winter was going to be like. Nevertheless, to be on the safe
side, he told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and
that the members of the tribe should collect firewood to be prepared.

But being a practical leader, after several days he had an
idea.

He walked out to the telephone booth on the highway, called
the Bureau of Meteorology and asked, 'Is the coming winter in this area
going to be cold?'

The meteorologist responded, 'It looks like this winter is
going to be quite cold.'

So the elder went back to his people and told them to
collect even more wood in order to be prepared.

A week later he called the Bureau of Meteorology again.
'Does it still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?'

The meteorologist again replied, 'Yes, it's going to be a
very cold winter.'

The elder again went back to his community and ordered them
to collect every scrap of firewood they could find.

Two weeks later the elder called the Bureau again. 'Are you
absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?' he asked.

'Absolutely,' the man replied. 'It's looking more and more
like it is going to be one of the coldest winters ever.'

'How can you be so sure?' the elder asked.

The weatherman replied, 'Our satellites have reported that
the Aboriginals in the north are collecting firewood like crazy, and
that's always a sure sign.'

Oh my goodness, that is perfection. Another one for the file!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-02-2009, 01:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

Thanks to you, Martin and Stephen. I'll stop looking out the window then.
It's very much colder tonight, even though cloud has come over and it did
make me think of snow again. I gather the east of the country has plenty.

It was so cold last night, Wednesday. That I couldn't open my car door
as it was frozen shut, i had to open a rear door and sort of push it!
The ground here is lethal with melted and half melted sow forming solid
layers of pure ice even on the fields.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 13-02-2009, 02:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Oh my goodness, that is perfection. Another one for the file!

Forwarded to chosen few...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 13-02-2009, 06:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Judith in France writes
On Feb 12, 5:06*pm, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

Today it is snowing hard and we are now about half a metre deep in
snow. *It is 0 degrees outside. *Driving over the mountain pass on the
way home yesterday it was minus 6 and snowing heavily at 4p.m.

You *lucky* thing! Ours is melting steadily and now only 6 inches at the
best. Although it has been snowing this afternoon with lovely big gentle
flakes.
--

I was made very welcome in your home Kay, so you will be made very
welcome in mine, anytime.

Thank you :-)
--
Kay
Old 13-02-2009, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes

Thanks to you, Martin and Stephen. I'll stop looking out the window then.
It's very much colder tonight, even though cloud has come over and it did
make me think of snow again. I gather the east of the country has plenty.

It was so cold last night, Wednesday. That I couldn't open my car door as
it was frozen shut, i had to open a rear door and sort of push it! The
ground here is lethal with melted and half melted sow forming solid layers
of pure ice even on the fields.
--

That's risky, it can tear the seals in half. A better idea is to us hot
water. Poured along the seal areas it releases the ice. I use hot water on

Mike

Old 13-02-2009, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Yuri contains these words:

The weatherman replied, 'Our satellites have reported that
the Aboriginals in the north are collecting firewood like crazy, and
that's always a sure sign.'

Just struck me - should be the Aboriginals in the *SOUTH*

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 13-02-2009, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 17:42:38 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 13/2/09 17:24, in article
, "Rusty_Hinge"
wrote:

The message
from Yuri contains these words:

The weatherman replied, 'Our satellites have reported that
the Aboriginals in the north are collecting firewood like crazy, and
that's always a sure sign.'

Just struck me - should be the Aboriginals in the *SOUTH*

Please do not confuse me with facts. ;-)

The first time I heard the joke they were American Indians.
Old 14-02-2009, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/2/09 10:40, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 22:57:07 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 13/2/09 22:42, in article
,
"Fuschia" wrote:

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 17:42:38 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 13/2/09 17:24, in article
, "Rusty_Hinge"
wrote:

The message
from Yuri contains these words:

The weatherman replied, 'Our satellites have reported that
the Aboriginals in the north are collecting firewood like crazy, and
that's always a sure sign.'

Just struck me - should be the Aboriginals in the *SOUTH*

Please do not confuse me with facts. ;-)

The first time I heard the joke they were American Indians.

No, no, that was the one about the radio. ;-)

Pygmies in the Congo learning English from the BBC World Service?

Some dude ranchers were being 'taught' the art of tracking by an American
Indian and went out with him day after day, learning how to seek the signs
of different animals passing, what wild stuff was good to eat etc. and then
one day he said "today, we go back early. BIG rains come 2pm". The
tourists were terribly impressed, talking animatedly amongst themselves
about the wisdom and ancient knowledge of these people and so forth.
Eventually a tourist said to him "please, tell us, how do you know these
things? Where do you get such wisdom and insight". "Weather forecast on
radio".

Old 14-02-2009, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Some dude ranchers were being 'taught' the art of tracking by an American
Indian and went out with him day after day, learning how to seek the signs
of different animals passing, what wild stuff was good to eat etc. and then
one day he said "today, we go back early. BIG rains come 2pm". The
tourists were terribly impressed, talking animatedly amongst themselves
about the wisdom and ancient knowledge of these people and so forth.
Eventually a tourist said to him "please, tell us, how do you know these
things? Where do you get such wisdom and insight". "Weather forecast on
radio".

Hikers think it feels a bit like lunchtime and see an aged rustic
leaning on a gate, so they ask him the time.

Rustic goes to the hinged post, gets down on his knees and peers under
the gate.

Gets up - "'Alf parst twelve it is, tergither." (he was a Suffolk Rustic)

"Good Lord! Tell me how you do that!"

"Ah well, dew Oi luke undr th' bottom baaaar of this geart, 'bor, Oi dew
see the church clock jist under the branches of that oak oover thaar."

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 14-02-2009, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 14, 1:08*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
[...]

LOL I understood all of that :-)

Judith
Old 14-02-2009, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 13:08:40 GMT, Rusty_Hinge

wrote:
[...]

In the Mexican version he raises part of his donkey's anatomy to see
the clock.

Seems unlikely that the donkey would always stand in that spot?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 14-02-2009, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

LOL I understood all of that :-)

Thobut I spelt oo-uk as oak...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 14-02-2009, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 14, 7:24*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

LOL *I understood all of that :-)

Thobut I spelt oo-uk as oak...

--
Rusty