Old 17-02-2009, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default propagating laurel

Hi,

what is the best way, and time, to do this? I've tried taking cuttings
but they've never rooted. Any tips? I also wonder if it will layer?

brian mitchel
Old 18-02-2009, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Hi,

what is the best way, and time, to do this? I've tried taking cuttings
but they've never rooted. Any tips? I also wonder if it will layer?

brian mitchel

Are we talking Bay or Cherry Laural?
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 18-02-2009, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I did a layering of my bay laurel (which is in a large tub) last spring,
which seemed to root okay;

I layered a lower stalk down into a fairly shallow pot which I positioned
near the edge of the main tub in the spring (or may have been early
summer), and weighted it down with a couple of stones. By the autumn it
seemed to have rooted okay, so I then severed it and carefully planted into
a slightly bigger normal-depth pot. I've kept it in the conservatory over
the winter and it seems to be thriving okay, so will put it out in the
warmer weather and hope for the best.

Ros
(on the south coast)

Old 18-02-2009, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 17, 9:21*pm, brian mitchell wrote:
Hi,

what is the best way, and time, to do this? I've tried taking cuttings
but they've never rooted. Any tips? I also wonder if it will layer?

brian mitchel

I found that literally pulling off a small, newish growth about say 6
inches and plunging it straight into the ground for about 4 of those
inches works for me. The best time, I found, to do that was in
October.

Judith
Old 18-02-2009, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:29:26 +0000, Ros Butt
wrote:

I layered a lower stalk down into a fairly shallow pot which I positioned
near the edge of the main tub in the spring (or may have been early
summer), and weighted it down with a couple of stones. By the autumn it
seemed to have rooted okay, so I then severed it and carefully planted into
a slightly bigger normal-depth pot. I've kept it in the conservatory over
the winter and it seems to be thriving okay, so will put it out in the
warmer weather and hope for the best.

My bay standard (6' tall x 4' diameter) often throws up *?suckers
around its base.

I have excavated several of these, dug them up with attached roots and
potted them on.

They are doing well, donated some to a neighbour who is well chuffed

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹

Old 19-02-2009, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:

Are we talking Bay or Cherry Laural?

If there's only the two kinds, then cherry. The kind of laurel which
lines the drives of gloomy Victorian houses called "The Laurels". And
has black berries once a year. I have one in an inappropriate place
which needs taking out but I'd like to have a couple of successors to
grow where they have enough room.

I've tried the 'stick it in the ground' method a few times but they've
not rooted for me. Would rooting hormone help?

brian mitchell
Old 19-02-2009, 01:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:

I found that literally pulling off a small, newish growth about say 6
inches and plunging it straight into the ground for about 4 of those
inches works for me. The best time, I found, to do that was in
October.

I'd heard it was that easy, which is why I'm a bit disappointed at my
lack of success. That's really all you do? Do you take off all the
leaves or leave some on? Cut careful angles top and bottom? Mutter
incantations?

brian mitchell
Old 19-02-2009, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

brian mitchell writes
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Are we talking Bay or Cherry Laural?

If there's only the two kinds, then cherry. The kind of laurel which
lines the drives of gloomy Victorian houses called "The Laurels". And
has black berries once a year. I have one in an inappropriate place
which needs taking out but I'd like to have a couple of successors to
grow where they have enough room.

If you're getting berries, then look around underneath it for
transplantable seedlings.
--
Kay
Old 19-02-2009, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
.................................................. ..............
"K" wrote in message
brian mitchell writes
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Are we talking Bay or Cherry Laural?

If there's only the two kinds, then cherry. The kind of laurel which
lines the drives of gloomy Victorian houses called "The Laurels". And
has black berries once a year. I have one in an inappropriate place
which needs taking out but I'd like to have a couple of successors to
grow where they have enough room.

If you're getting berries, then look around underneath it for
transplantable seedlings.
--
Kay

Agree. We have dozens of them. Almost a weed.

Old 19-02-2009, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 19, 1:48*am, brian mitchell wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
I found that literally pulling off a small, newish growth about say 6
inches and plunging it straight into the ground for about 4 of those
inches works for me. *The best time, I found, to do that was in
October.

I'd heard it was that easy, which is why I'm a bit disappointed at my
lack of success. That's really all you do? Do you take off all the
leaves or leave some on? Cut careful angles top and bottom? Mutter
incantations?

brian mitchell

Brian, Only leave 3 leaves, the top ad 2 others. I don't leave
careful angles, just tear it off and plunge into the soil. Will you
let us know how you get on?

Judith
Old 19-02-2009, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 19, 8:29*am, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,
says... Judith in France wrote:

I found that literally pulling off a small, newish growth about say 6
inches and plunging it straight into the ground for about 4 of those
inches works for me. *The best time, I found, to do that was in
October.

I'd heard it was that easy, which is why I'm a bit disappointed at my
lack of success. That's really all you do? Do you take off all the
leaves or leave some on? Cut careful angles top and bottom? Mutter
incantations?

brian mitchell

Well Cherry laural is easy but having light soil probably helps! So
prepare the trench where you want the hedge, cut your stems of laural
chosing vigorous annual growth, trim off the tips and a lot of lower
leaves and place around two thirds into the ground refill the trench and
make sure the whole thing does not dry out this summer, I would also do a
few spares elsewhere in case you have gaps
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Charlie, I agree with everything you say. However, for me, I just
tear off, plunge deep and 100% success. Maybe Brian should try both
our methods?

Judith

propagating laurel K United Kingdom 0 17-02-2009 10:44 PM
Propagating Fescues? Frank Solis Gardening 1 18-03-2003 10:44 PM
[IBC] growing and propagating Serissa foetida Carl L Rosner Bonsai 3 10-03-2003 09:59 PM
growing and propagating Serissa foetida Shireen Gonzaga Bonsai 1 08-03-2003 03:34 PM
Propagating fig from cutting? DH Edible Gardening 10 04-03-2003 04:15 PM