Old 02-03-2009, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Removing large tree

The message
from gray contains these words:

I havent seen any body do that for years now. Probably most gardens do
not have any rear access or anything substantial to anchor to.

You haven't seen abybody do what?

Also probably because its to time consuming to dig and cut the roots,
and then try and pull.

No it's not. And I do know what I'm talking about, I've been doing it
since the mid 1950s, part of the time as a partner in a tree-felling
company.

I had a long hedge of 20 year old beechs ( 6 inch dia ) to remove to
below ground level. I tried block and tackle cause I thought it would
be easy, mind you I did not cut the roots. I ended up pullling the van
instead.

Well you would. If you'd parked the van sideways on and taken a rope
from both ends you might have fared better - but 6"?

Nah. You have to cut the roots if you want to use the ground the hedge
is growing in.

Ended up chainsawing to ground level. It then only took 2 hrs to stump
grind the 50 stumps down.

Meanwhile, the ground amongst the roots is depleted and more or less useless.

There is even a gizmo being sold and can be hired, that basically
lifts the tree out. Chainsaw 2 notches into the tree stump, attach a
chain round the stump and then to a block and tackle mounted on a
tripod. And it works, a bit slow thou, pulls an all.

That i would approve of, though it might have had a little difficulty
with some of the trees we've tackled - specifically, two poplars in
Neasden-ish which were over 220 feet high and six feet across the bases
of the boles...

Any tree feller worth his/her? salt would take off the top, leaving
enough trunk standing to pull the thing out, dig round the stump and cut
as many roots as possible, then attach vehicle, block and tackle,
differential pulley etc., and drag it out.

Oh, I see. You were top-posting.

You might have noticed - we don't top-post here...

--
Rusty
Old 03-03-2009, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

.................................................. .............
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from beccabunga contains these
words:
George.com;831779 Wrote:

to offset costs, if cherrywood a type that could be sold to a wood
turner to
offset costs?

Post a message with your local wood-turners' group. Someone may well be
interested.

Also, contact any furniture restorers/repairers. They are also on the
lookout for good usable timbers. We passed on a plum trunk to one who
was exceedingly grateful.

As would I be - plum or cherry especially - I want to restock a New
England Rifle. They were usually stocked with fruitwood, especially
cherry, or 'curly' maple.

--
Rusty

I was on the local council and we had to severely prune some Holme Oaks.
The local Woodturners turned up in vans and cars to take the logs :-))

Mike

hmmm, depending on quality of wood and how difficult the job, someone may
even do it for you for free.

rob