Old 07-03-2009, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potatoes: Golden Wonder, Cara, and others

Hello,

I'm a bit puzzled about Golden Wonder potatoes. I was reading the
packs at the garden centre, last year I had problems with slugs, so I
was looking for a slug-resistant variety. I read that Golden Wonder
had good slug resistance. I've just looked up GW in the "Veg Expert"
book and it says it is rarely a good choice and then lists a number of
faults including susceptibility to slugs! What is going on? Why is
there such a drastic difference of opinion? Surely GW can't be that
bad otherwise they wouldn't use it for crisps? Why would the garden
centre say it was slug resistant if it isn't (they did not put this
claim on any other potato variety).

I'm also confused about Cara. The adverts say it is the allotment
favourite but then list problems such as slugs; how can it be so
popular and bad all at the same time?

Is there such a thing as a perfect potato? It seems to me that the
ones that are resistant to slugs are susceptible to drought and the
ones resistant to drought are susceptible to blight and so on. In
other words they all have different strengths that are offset by
different weaknesses. Is it just the case of finding the one that
ticks the most boxes?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

I usually buy the one I like and use nemaslug to control the slugs. You
water it on twice and it can be helpful although I must admit to not being
totally convinced yet.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 7, 10:06*am, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I'm a bit puzzled about Golden Wonder potatoes. I was reading the
packs at the garden centre, last year I had problems with slugs, so I
was looking for a slug-resistant variety. I read that Golden Wonder
had good slug resistance.

May I suggest that you cut out all the nonsense in the middle. Go
straight to your local shop and buy Golden Wonder crisps. The slugs
hate them - problem solved!
Old 07-03-2009, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm a bit puzzled about Golden Wonder potatoes. I was reading the
packs at the garden centre, last year I had problems with slugs, so I
was looking for a slug-resistant variety. I read that Golden Wonder
had good slug resistance. I've just looked up GW in the "Veg Expert"
book and it says it is rarely a good choice and then lists a number of
faults including susceptibility to slugs! What is going on? Why is
there such a drastic difference of opinion? Surely GW can't be that
bad otherwise they wouldn't use it for crisps? Why would the garden
centre say it was slug resistant if it isn't (they did not put this
claim on any other potato variety).

Golden Wonder is a genetically modified spud that's been described as a
'super spud' to feed the 3rd world starving. My experience on the allotment
was, 2 poor years out of 3. I got loadsa foliage but a small yield. I won't
try again. Golden Wonder Crisps do not use GW potatoes.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...ffset=0&page=1

Old 07-03-2009, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen" wrote
[...]

If you want Slug Resistant potatoes, like us, then....

Second Earlies...
Kestral
Lady Rosetta
Maritiema

Maincrop...
Romano (red EMC)
Hermes
Midas
Pentland Dell
Spey

all score the highest slug resistance of 5 out of 9.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-03-2009, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bertie Doe
writes

"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...?token=null&of
fset=0&page=1

Golden Wonder is a main crop potato that was raised in 1906. The potato
described in the Times article may not yet have a varietal name. (I am
also not confident that it is genetically modified, rather than the
result of selective breeding.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley