Old 23-03-2009, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Disposal of lawn moss?

On 23/3/09 18:22, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:42:28 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 23/3/09 17:20, in article
, "Broadback"
wrote:

Having treated my lawn with moss killer I now wish to rake it. I know
from past experience there will be a lot. In the past I have added it to
the compost heap, however in last Saturday's Telegraph that was a no no.
What does the panel think?

Don't know if the moss killer makes this a Bad Idea but I wondered if it
could be put into a netting bag and hung up for birds to use for nesting.

Don't talk about it. My wife did exactly that.
The birds still prefer the coconut matting that line*d* the hanging baskets

Ah well, yes. We get a certain amount of that and the wool stuff and moss
pinched from the few hundred hanging baskets made up each year. One year, a
bird nested in one of the hanging baskets so the owner had to wait for it!
Some years ago, a bird nested in the collar of a jacket flung over some
wires one day and forgotten about. Next morning when its owner came to
reclaim it - too late, so it had to stay put for several months. Then
there was the blackbird that nested in a Fuchsia pot, and the one in a 'for
sale' des.res. apple tree. They play havoc with the sales figures. ;-))
snip

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-03-2009, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/3/09 21:02, in article
, "Rusty_Hinge"
wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

RAG?! The DT? Thud! It has one of the best gardening sections around,
atm.

You mean it *HAS* a saving grace?

And a higher readership than others one could name - she says, sauntering
off, whistling insouciantly...... ;-)

Old 24-03-2009, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 23/3/09 21:02, in article
, "Rusty_Hinge"
wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

RAG?! The DT? Thud! It has one of the best gardening sections
around, atm.

You mean it *HAS* a saving grace?

And a higher readership than others one could name - she says,
sauntering off, whistling insouciantly...... ;-)

Oooooh get 'er g

Old 24-03-2009, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

A drop of the tincture young fella me lad? To 'elp you forget?

Tincture of Islay?

Why not?

Slaìnte!

--
Rusty

Old 18-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Registered User

I compost moss from the lawn after applying moss killer (iron sulphate) and raking it out. Quite a lot is still green at that point. When I dig out the heap (two years later) the moss has usually formed an identifiable layer but it's brown so apparently dead. I break it up and spread it along with the rest of the compost and... well, because of the increase in moss caused by the prevailing wet conditions these days, the best I can say is that the occurrence of moss in the places where I spread it is no worse than anywhere else!. This year I was considering applying moss killer, then raking, applying moss killer again to kill more of it, and raking again, but if it's right that composting or even digging it in will kill it maybe I shouldn't bother. Does anyone have any opinions on that?

Black Walnut trees removal & disposal newsreader Gardening 6 22-06-2006 03:30 AM
Doggy poop disposal tom&barbara United Kingdom 8 03-05-2006 08:18 AM
Leylandii disposal Terry Minshall United Kingdom 4 27-10-2005 10:44 PM
Brush Disposal Beerbuoy Texas 2 01-08-2003 04:04 AM
Safe disposal of defunct HPS lamps? Jonathan Sachs Gardening 0 08-02-2003 05:43 PM