Old 05-04-2009, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Composting Question

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:
alan.holmes wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The very best accelerator is -

Hide in the shrubbery and pee into a bottle/jar/w.h.y?

Add to compost.

noted ta

Although I must add, t'will be my David wot does it, not I

Just as well, as I understand female urine is nowhere as good as
that from a male!

Sez who??? Pah!

Oh, he's probably taking...

nodnodnod

Old 17-04-2009, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bob Minchin wrote:
In the FAQ, use of a general purpose fertiliser as an accelerator is
mentioned.
Is something like growmore appropriate which is largely insoluble in
water due to its slow release characteristics or should I look for
ammonium nitrate in its soluble form?
I know I could pee on it but I do have to respect the neighbours lol

That's why the sack is split and stapled to the fence in this pic. The
neighbours on the other side can only see my back. :-)

http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1239951747.jpg
--
Shaun.

My current heap is not rotting down at all well and is predominantly
autumn leaves and I'm starting to add grass cuttings which I read can
be a problem. I'm planning to water it and hence the thought of adding
soluble nitrogen.

tia

Bob

Old 17-04-2009, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Derek Turner wrote:
On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 18:57:00 +0000, Rusty_Hinge wrote:

stuff as possible from the leaves before they fall, but deposit there
waste-products.

These are useless to trees as compounds, but not necessarily to other
plants, especially after decomposition by bacteria and/or fungi, and
the leaf-mould will have nutrients a-plenty.

Leaf-mold, OTOH, is USAnian, therefore Not British[TM] and not so
good.

Well, if we're going to be picky, trees deposit /their/
waste-products

Not if you're as old as Rusty. Think Shakespearean dialogue, "They deposit,
there, waste products".

He just forgot the commas.

Cheers,
--