Old 04-04-2009, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Composting Question

Derek Turner wrote:
On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 10:00:43 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

My current heap is not rotting down at all well and is predominantly
autumn leaves

For future reference, do NOT put autumn leaves in the compost heap/bin.
Composting is a bacterial process, autumn leaves need to be broken down
by fungi, which is a much slower process. Gather them up into plastic bin-
liners, seal the tops with tape, stab each bag with a garden fork a few
times and forget about them until the spring/summer after next. Trees are
not stupid: they take all the goodness out of leaves before dropping
them, all that is left is organic matter that will become leaf-mold then
humus in the soil. Add to improve the soil condition but /not/ to add
fertility. Compost is compost, leaf-mold is leaf-mold - is different (to
paraphrase Tom Conti)

Thanks Derek.
Very helpful. I'll know what to do next time.

Bob
Old 04-04-2009, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Gordon H contains these
words:
In message , Ophelia
writes
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The very best accelerator is -

Hide in the shrubbery and pee into a bottle/jar/w.h.y?

Add to compost.

noted ta

Although I must add, t'will be my David wot does it, not I

Funnel?

Ophelia
"Think what funnel have with that!
/Ophelia

groannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Old 04-04-2009, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:
Gopher wrote:
In message , Ophelia
writes
Gopher wrote:

OTOH (;-), should there be no modesty inducing shrubbery easily
accessible there is always Garotta which seems quite effective, if
not fostering the same level of personal involvement.

Ahaaa. I have heard of that!!

saved Thank you

If you had the choice and if modesty and cost were not a
consideration, which would you choose?

It would depend on mood, age, liquid consumption and various other
intangibles. Also exact location of compost heap and wind direction.
Taking everything into consideration I'd probably (indeed _have_ for
the last few years) for Garotta. It's not as cheap as second hand
beer/tea/water etc. but it lasts quite well if kept dry.

Hmmmm given all those variables, I might be forced to agree Thank
you

Well, you can discount the 'wind direction' component - there's
absolutely no indication of 'additive drift', except perhaps if you
have a very large family which drinks inordinate amounts, and you
have a very small compost heap.

My compost heap generally accepts a couple of litres a day, and you'd
never know.

Or perhaps I have a permanent cold?

Perhaps you could start a spreadsheet with all the variables listed I
don't know how you would list the 'wind' component but so far as I can see,
you are an innovative boy

Old 04-04-2009, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 18:57:00 +0000, Rusty_Hinge wrote:

stuff as possible from the leaves before they fall, but deposit there
waste-products.

These are useless to trees as compounds, but not necessarily to other
plants, especially after decomposition by bacteria and/or fungi, and the
leaf-mould will have nutrients a-plenty.

Leaf-mold, OTOH, is USAnian, therefore Not British[TM] and not so good.

Well, if we're going to be picky, trees deposit /their/ waste-products
Old 04-04-2009, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The very best accelerator is -

Hide in the shrubbery and pee into a bottle/jar/w.h.y?

Add to compost.

noted ta

Although I must add, t'will be my David wot does it, not I

Just as well, as I understand female urine is nowhere as good as that from a
male!

Old 04-04-2009, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from Bob Minchin contains these words:

In the FAQ, use of a general purpose fertiliser as an accelerator is
mentioned.
Is something like growmore appropriate which is largely insoluble in
water due to its slow release characteristics or should I look for
ammonium nitrate in its soluble form?
I know I could pee on it but I do have to respect the neighbours lol

My current heap is not rotting down at all well and is predominantly
autumn leaves and I'm starting to add grass cuttings which I read can be
a problem. I'm planning to water it and hence the thought of adding
soluble nitrogen.

The very best accelerator is -

Hide in the shrubbery and pee into a bottle/jar/w.h.y?

Add to compost.

If the heap is in a suitably secluded spot, the bottle/jar/w.h.y? may be
discarded.

I keep a bucket by the bed and use that through the night, as I frequently
need to relieve myself during the night!(:-(

Old 04-04-2009, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote:
In message , Ophelia
writes
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The very best accelerator is -

Hide in the shrubbery and pee into a bottle/jar/w.h.y?

Add to compost.

noted ta

Although I must add, t'will be my David wot does it, not I

Funnel?

Sounds like you are taking the pi*s ;-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Rusty_Hinge writes

Well, you can discount the 'wind direction' component - there's
absolutely no indication of 'additive drift', except perhaps if you have
a very large family which drinks inordinate amounts, and you have a very
small compost heap.

My compost heap generally accepts a couple of litres a day, and you'd
never know.

I used to live in a house with no indoor toilet. Rather than bother with
the outdoor one, we used to use a bucket, and empty it, together with
the tea leaves and potato peelings, into a hole in the ground just
outside the kitchen door. Made the sweetest compost I've ever made, and
no smell while it was doing it.
--
Kay
Old 04-04-2009, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

Perhaps you could start a spreadsheet with all the variables listed I
don't know how you would list the 'wind' component but so far as I can see,
you are an innovative boy

In one direction it's measured in foot-radishes.

In the other, in foot-artichokes.

HTH

--
Rusty

Old 04-04-2009, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Derek Turner contains these words:
On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 18:57:00 +0000, Rusty_Hinge wrote:

stuff as possible from the leaves before they fall, but deposit there
waste-products.

These are useless to trees as compounds, but not necessarily to other
plants, especially after decomposition by bacteria and/or fungi, and the
leaf-mould will have nutrients a-plenty.

Leaf-mold, OTOH, is USAnian, therefore Not British[TM] and not so good.

Well, if we're going to be picky, trees deposit /their/ waste-products

Touché - must be out of sorts today!

--
Rusty
Old 04-04-2009, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "alan.holmes" contains these words:
"Ophelia" wrote in message
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The very best accelerator is -

Hide in the shrubbery and pee into a bottle/jar/w.h.y?

Add to compost.

noted ta

Although I must add, t'will be my David wot does it, not I

Just as well, as I understand female urine is nowhere as good as that
from a
male!

So, we're good at something, then?

--
Rusty
Old 04-04-2009, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

A *BUCKET*?

There's boasting for you!

--
Rusty
Old 04-04-2009, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan.holmes wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The very best accelerator is -

Hide in the shrubbery and pee into a bottle/jar/w.h.y?

Add to compost.

noted ta

Although I must add, t'will be my David wot does it, not I

Just as well, as I understand female urine is nowhere as good as that
from a male!

Sez who??? Pah!

Oh, he's probably taking...

--
Rusty
Old 05-04-2009, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote:
Gordon H wrote:
In message , Ophelia
writes