Old 14-04-2009, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Greenhouse Glass

Hello

I have recently been given an old greenhouse, and have now re-
assembled the frame. I have 2 small children, and live next to a golf
course, so I have dumped the horticultural glass, for safety reasons.

I want to replace the glass, probably with polycarbonate, because it
seems the safest.

I am having trouble locating places to buy the glass, I have tried the
usual DIY and garden centres. Could anyone suggest any stockists,
preferably ones that do the 'Kit' package please?

Thanks
Paddy

Old 27-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy Mullaney View Post
Hello

I have recently been given an old greenhouse, and have now re-
assembled the frame. I have 2 small children, and live next to a golf
course, so I have dumped the horticultural glass, for safety reasons.

I want to replace the glass, probably with polycarbonate, because it
seems the safest.

I am having trouble locating places to buy the glass, I have tried the
usual DIY and garden centres. Could anyone suggest any stockists,
preferably ones that do the 'Kit' package please?

Thanks
Paddy
You are right to remove the glass for safety reasons, not sure if polycarbonate will need strengthening as its a very strong material - see www.bayplastics.co.uk/polycarbonate_sheets.htm

Or you could use Perspex as this is also a good glass replacement, also you can get UV grade Perspex that will let the UV rays through so your plants will benefit from that - see www.bayplastics.co.uk/perspex_acrylicsheets.htm

Hope this helps.