Old 25-04-2009, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Horse mannure?

What vegetables should I use horse manure for?

I have put some down for the potatoes, but what other things need it?

Alan

Old 25-04-2009, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "alan.holmes" contains these words:

What vegetables should I use horse manure for?

I have put some down for the potatoes, but what other things need it?

Roses?

It should be well-rotted, except when growing celery and cauliflowers.
Both like to have their feet in raw muck - but be sure the caulis aren't
a white variety of broccoli...

--
Rusty
Old 25-04-2009, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote...
What vegetables should I use horse manure for?

I have put some down for the potatoes, but what other things need it?

Not roots.
We use a 4 year rotation and the manure goes on thickly before the potatoes
so each quarter get a big dose of manure once in 4 years. We use chicken
manure pellets, seaweed extract and Growmore in between.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-04-2009, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 25, 7:21*pm, "alan.holmes" wrote:

What vegetables should I use horse manure for?

I have put some down for the potatoes, but what other things need it?

Some people put it on their rhubarb, but I prefer custard on mine.
Old 26-04-2009, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message
What vegetables should I use horse manure for?

I have put some down for the potatoes, but what other things need it?

Alan

most veg will benefit from as much as you are likely to put on but it would
be advisable to put the root crops in it the following year after
application

Old 26-04-2009, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robert (Plymouth) wrote:
"alan.holmes" wrote in message
What vegetables should I use horse manure for?

I have put some down for the potatoes, but what other things need it?

Alan

most veg will benefit from as much as you are likely to put on but it
would be advisable to put the root crops in it the following year
after application

Would it be good to mix in with the compost?

Old 26-04-2009, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Robert \(Plymouth\)" contains
these words:

most veg will benefit from as much as you are likely to put on but it would
be advisable to put the root crops in it the following year after
application

There are heaps of veg which won't!

Just try manuring onions!

--
Rusty
Old 26-04-2009, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:
Robert (Plymouth) wrote:
"alan.holmes" wrote in message
What vegetables should I use horse manure for?

I have put some down for the potatoes, but what other things need it?

Alan

most veg will benefit from as much as you are likely to put on but it
would be advisable to put the root crops in it the following year
after application

Would it be good to mix in with the compost?

Yes, with the proviso that it's well-rotted - unless you're growing
celery or (real) caulis there.

--
Rusty
Old 26-04-2009, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robert (Plymouth) wrote:
"alan.holmes" wrote in message
What vegetables should I use horse manure for?

I have put some down for the potatoes, but what other things need
it?

Alan

most veg will benefit from as much as you are likely to put on but
it would be advisable to put the root crops in it the following year
after application

Would it be good to mix in with the compost?

Yes, with the proviso that it's well-rotted - unless you're growing
celery or (real) caulis there.

Ok, so if it is mixed with the compost (in the making) ie kitchen waste etc
it will be ok for anything?

Old 26-04-2009, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message
What vegetables should I use horse manure for?

I have put some down for the potatoes, but what other things need it?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Alan

Old 26-04-2009, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

Ok, so if it is mixed with the compost (in the making) ie kitchen waste etc
it will be ok for anything?

Improving soil-structure, fertilising, attracting worms and all their
good works, improving drainage *AND* (counter-intuitively) enhancing
moisture-retention.

--
Rusty
Old 26-04-2009, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

Ok, so if it is mixed with the compost (in the making) ie kitchen
waste etc it will be ok for anything?

Improving soil-structure, fertilising, attracting worms and all their
good works, improving drainage *AND* (counter-intuitively) enhancing
moisture-retention.

Excellent Thank you.

Old 26-04-2009, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

Ok, so if it is mixed with the compost (in the making) ie kitchen
waste etc it will be ok for anything?

Improving soil-structure, fertilising, attracting worms and all their
good works, improving drainage *AND* (counter-intuitively) enhancing
moisture-retention.

Excellent Thank you.

You're very welcome - oh, and there's always a chance of mushrooms...

--
Rusty