Old 30-04-2009, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner Beans

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"mark" wrote ...
This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping about
like er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to
give them the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

You have planted out your Runner Bean plants!! Already? Must be a warm
part of the UK you live in. I haven't even planted our seeds yet.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Mine have been out for a couple of weeks... they are thriving here in
mid-Norfolk. I sowed mine in paper pots filled with compost and had them on
a sunny windowsill for germination. I just kept the compost moist and up
they popped. indeed they were getting on for a foot tall when I planted them
out. I kept putting it off and putting it off.. but they just kept on
growing. So I keep an eye on the temperature for risk of frost. So far.. so
good. But I do have a few ready to pop out if Mother Nature decides to kick
me up the backside and teach me a lesson...

Old 30-04-2009, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"mark" wrote ...
This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping about
like er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to
give them the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

You have planted out your Runner Bean plants!! Already? Must be a warm
part of the UK you live in. I haven't even planted our seeds yet.

I did wonder about that so have sown quite a few as back-up.

mark (in frost free Norfolk...hmmm!
)

Old 30-04-2009, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "wafflycat" contains these words:

Mine have been out for a couple of weeks... they are thriving here in
mid-Norfolk. I sowed mine in paper pots filled with compost and had them on
a sunny windowsill for germination. I just kept the compost moist and up
they popped. indeed they were getting on for a foot tall when I
planted them
out. I kept putting it off and putting it off.. but they just kept on
growing. So I keep an eye on the temperature for risk of frost. So far.. so
good. But I do have a few ready to pop out if Mother Nature decides to kick
me up the backside and teach me a lesson...

You'd do well to buy a length of fleece...

--
Rusty
Old 30-04-2009, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "wafflycat" contains these
words:

Mine have been out for a couple of weeks... they are thriving here in
mid-Norfolk. I sowed mine in paper pots filled with compost and had
them on a sunny windowsill for germination. I just kept the compost
moist and up they popped. indeed they were getting on for a foot
tall when I
planted them
out. I kept putting it off and putting it off.. but they just kept on
growing. So I keep an eye on the temperature for risk of frost. So
far.. so good. But I do have a few ready to pop out if Mother Nature
decides to kick me up the backside and teach me a lesson...

You'd do well to buy a length of fleece...

Do you mean real fleece? I spin all mine...

Old 30-04-2009, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "wafflycat" contains these words:

Mine have been out for a couple of weeks... they are thriving here in
mid-Norfolk. I sowed mine in paper pots filled with compost and had them
on
a sunny windowsill for germination. I just kept the compost moist and up
they popped. indeed they were getting on for a foot tall when I
planted them
out. I kept putting it off and putting it off.. but they just kept on
growing. So I keep an eye on the temperature for risk of frost. So far..
so
good. But I do have a few ready to pop out if Mother Nature decides to
kick
me up the backside and teach me a lesson...

You'd do well to buy a length of fleece...

Have got at the ready. I check the weather forecast a couple of times a day
to check for updates.. Not that I'm paranoid

Old 30-04-2009, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 22:51:39 +0100, "mark" wrote:

This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping about like
er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to give them
the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

mark

climbing clockwise when viewed from above

Old 30-04-2009, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 Apr 2009 00:12:30 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 22:51:39 +0100, mark wrote:

This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping about
like er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to
give them the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

mark

Like all plants they follow the light, i.e. the sun. Does that give you
any clues?

Must admit - I have never considered it like that (I am not sure that
it *is* the reason !! ) - but it is an excellent way to remember.

(Is it the reason?)
Old 30-04-2009, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 18:08:09 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"mark" wrote ...
This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping about
like er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to
give them the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

You have planted out your Runner Bean plants!! Already? Must be a warm part
of the UK you live in. I haven't even planted our seeds yet.

Same here - still in the packet!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Judith Smith writes
On 30 Apr 2009 00:12:30 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 22:51:39 +0100, mark wrote:

This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping about
like er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to
give them the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

mark

Like all plants they follow the light, i.e. the sun. Does that give you
any clues?

Must admit - I have never considered it like that (I am not sure that
it *is* the reason !! ) - but it is an excellent way to remember.

(Is it the reason?)

I doubt it, else why would some plants grow clockwise and others
anticlockwise?
--
Kay
Old 01-05-2009, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith Smith" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 22:51:39 +0100, "mark" wrote:

This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping about
like
er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to give
them
the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

mark

climbing clockwise when viewed from above

I sow mine sequentialy to avoid the usual glut of runner beans. My method is
to bring them on in pots in the greenhouse first, a pair sown each time, so
that the ones that follow don't catch up too much. I usually wait until the
first pair of beans have produced leaves before I sow the next pair etc so
that's maybe three weeks apart. They won't be that far apart by the time the
beans are ready....

Old 01-05-2009, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Judith Smith contains these words:
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 22:51:39 +0100, "mark" wrote:

This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping
about like
er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to
give them
the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

mark

climbing clockwise when viewed from above

Anticlockwise from above - clockwise when viewed by Jack.

--
Rusty
Old 01-05-2009, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Judith Smith contains these words:
On 30 Apr 2009 00:12:30 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 22:51:39 +0100, mark wrote:

This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping about
like er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to
give them the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

mark

Like all plants they follow the light, i.e. the sun. Does that give you
any clues?

Must admit - I have never considered it like that (I am not sure that
it *is* the reason !! ) - but it is an excellent way to remember.

Lead you astray, that will...

(Is it the reason?)

(No.)

--
Rusty
Old 01-05-2009, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Andy
writes

I sow mine sequentialy to avoid the usual glut of runner beans. My method is
to bring them on in pots in the greenhouse first, a pair sown each time, so
that the ones that follow don't catch up too much. I usually wait until the
first pair of beans have produced leaves before I sow the next pair etc so
that's maybe three weeks apart. They won't be that far apart by the time the
beans are ready....

That's what I should do, there's still time to sow and plant them, and I
always get too many, and then they start to fill my freezer!
I might try fewer plants and stagger them, as you suggest.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply