Old 02-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Registered User

Default Roses

Hi,
I observed dark red spots on the leaves of my roses. Is it something bad?
Do I need to do something about it? Some advise,please.
Thank you.
Dina
Old 02-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina View Post
Hi,
I observed dark red spots on the leaves of my roses. Is it something bad?
Do I need to do something about it? Some advise,please.
Thank you.
Dina
Are these old leaves from last year? If so, you should have pruned your roses by now. It's a bit late.

For safety, spray them with one of the Rose Sprays that deal with fungal infections.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
Are these old leaves from last year? If so, you should have pruned your roses by now. It's a bit late.

For safety, spray them with one of the Rose Sprays that deal with fungal infections.
Hi Beccabunga,
I did prune my roses and today I tried to cut of the infected leaves (I read it is a fungal infection and to distroy them) but one of the rose bushes is so bad that all the leaves are infected and the only way to get rid of them is to prune the whole rose again. Is it OK to do do it now? I know that it is a bit late but what else can I do since I wouldnt like to use fungicide? Thanks for your reply.
Dina
Old 02-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina View Post
Hi Beccabunga,
I did prune my roses and today I tried to cut of the infected leaves (I read it is a fungal infection and to distroy them) but one of the rose bushes is so bad that all the leaves are infected and the only way to get rid of them is to prune the whole rose again. Is it OK to do do it now? I know that it is a bit late but what else can I do since I wouldnt like to use fungicide? Thanks for your reply.
Dina

Well, you can always give it a go. Prune back to an outward facing bud well below the affected foliage. Give the rose lots of food.

Frankly I wouldn't hesitate to use a multipurpose Roseclear which both deals with the pest and feeds the plant.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

beccabunga writes

dina;842281 Wrote:
Hi Beccabunga,
I did prune my roses and today I tried to cut of the infected leaves
(I
read it is a fungal infection and to distroy them) but one of the

rose
bushes is so bad that all the leaves are infected and the only way

get rid of them is to prune the whole rose again. Is it OK to do do

it
now? I know that it is a bit late but what else can I do since I
wouldnt like to use fungicide? Thanks for your reply.

Dina

Well, you can always give it a go. Prune back to an outward facing bud
well below the affected foliage. Give the rose lots of food.

Tedious, but you can take off the leaves if pruning would leave you with
no stem.

--
beccabunga

--
Kay

Old 03-05-2009, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"beccabunga" wrote in message

dina;842281 Wrote:
Hi Beccabunga,
I did prune my roses and today I tried to cut of the infected leaves (I
read it is a fungal infection and to distroy them) but one of the rose
bushes is so bad that all the leaves are infected and the only way to
get rid of them is to prune the whole rose again. Is it OK to do do it
now? I know that it is a bit late but what else can I do since I
wouldnt like to use fungicide? Thanks for your reply.
Dina

Well, you can always give it a go. Prune back to an outward facing bud
well below the affected foliage. Give the rose lots of food.

Frankly I wouldn't hesitate to use a multipurpose Roseclear which both
deals with the pest and feeds the plant.

--
beccabunga

You may like to test a (so far successful) theory of mine, and give it an
acid feed. Pick off all the infected leaves first. I do this with all my
infected roses, usually about once a year or just when the infection starts
to creep back. It completely changed the life forecast for one of my roses
(which defoliated 2-3 times a year due to blackspot); I was on the verge of
binning it. Now everyone asks what it is. :~)

As necessary, I still feed with rose fertiliser or Tomorite to encourage
flowering, and occasionally with a general feed if a rose looks hungry.
Watering and mulching helps reduce stress, too, and it also stops fallen
fungal spores from reinfecting the rose, although the acid feed seems to
help with this, too.

Spider

Old 03-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Spider[_2_
;842443'

842281 Wrote:
[...]

Please tell me what is acid feed? Can you buy it in shops or you have to make it? I am not experianced gardener so forgive me please for this kind of questions.
dina
Old 04-05-2009, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"dina" wrote in message

'Spider[_2_ Wrote:
;842443'
"beccabunga" wrote in message
...-

842281 Wrote:-
[...]

Don't worry, Dina - it was new to me once :~)

Locate the plant food shelf at your local garden centre and look for a
pack/bottle which either says plant food for acid-loving plants, or says
ericaceous plant food. Follow the instructions for dilution but, if (like
me) you're inclined to be a bit heavy-handed, use less concentrate rather
than more. More food may sound good, but it's actually harmful, and in this
case you're using the solution as a remedy, not a feed as such.

Good luck. I'm going in the garden now, but will look in later on, just in
case there's a problem.

Spider

Old 04-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider[_2_] View Post
"dina" wrote in message

'Spider[_2_ Wrote:
;842443'
"beccabunga"
wrote in message
...-

842281 Wrote:-
[...]

Thank you very much for all your replies and advise.
It is interesting that I've just found out on another American site that some gardeners use mixture of bicarbonated soda, horticultural oil and water to fight fungus ( which is acctually oposite of acidity). Maybe it is something to do with changing Ph of soil which fungus does not like and thats why both ways work.
Dina
Old 05-05-2009, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"dina" wrote in message

'Spider[_2_ Wrote:
;842667']"dina" wrote in message
...-

snipped -

-
[...]

Mmm. Interesting, I've never heard of that. I got my idea after my father
once complained that, since the local power station shut down, there was no
more acid rain locally so he had to treat his veg crops for fungal
infections that had never been a problem before. I tried it most
cautiously at first, but now rely on it. I'm gradually trying it out on
different types of fungal infections. I would be very interested to hear
how you get on.

Spider