Old 03-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Registered User

Location: Gloucester
Default What's My Tree?

Hi all, while weeding my old garden 2 years ago I found this tiny tree, so i potted it up, but I don't know what it is, do you?

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/n...ysusH/tree.jpg
Old 03-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy View Post
Hi all, while weeding my old garden 2 years ago I found this tiny tree, so i potted it up, but I don't know what it is, do you?

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/n...ysusH/tree.jpg
Candy
Looks like a type of Boston ivy "climer" normaly walls, fences but can ramble acroos the floor and up and over bushes trees , grows all up the wibledon tennis buildings lovely Aurtum colour.
Spruce
__________________
From small acorns oak trees grow
Old 03-05-2009, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Winter Kill

"spruce" wrote in message

Hi all

I thought the hard winter would of cut down on a lot of the pest's.
But found my first Red lily beetle and vine weevil Saturday, plants
that normaly get greenfly in the spring yes they have them, I live in
South Wales and visit relatives in Surrey have the horse chesnut trees
been helped with the winter as we dont have that moth here where I live
yet ??.
Spruce

I was hoping that the cold snap where I live would kill off overwintering
queen wasps. It would appear quite a few have survived. Mind you, as of
yesterday there is one less to breed this summer.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "wafflycat" contains these words:

I was hoping that the cold snap where I live would kill off overwintering
queen wasps. It would appear quite a few have survived. Mind you, as of
yesterday there is one less to breed this summer.

Wopses are our friends.

I'm hoping there'll be another hornets' nest this year.

Heathrow! Eat yer heart out!

--
Rusty
Old 03-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Registered User

Location: Gloucester

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Candy
Looks like a type of Boston ivy "climer" normaly walls, fences but can ramble acroos the floor and up and over bushes trees , grows all up the wibledon tennis buildings lovely Aurtum colour.
Spruce
Thanks Spruce, yeah it does - but it's growing on an upright tree-like stem...that makes it a tree surely??

Old 03-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy View Post
Thanks Spruce, yeah it does - but it's growing on an upright tree-like stem...that makes it a tree surely??
It is not Boston Ivy, but Virginia Creeper Parthenocissus quinquefolia. It starts off on a small stem, but is a rampant climber, though less aggressive than Boston Ivy. It is not a tree.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "wafflycat" contains these words:

I was hoping that the cold snap where I live would kill off overwintering
queen wasps. It would appear quite a few have survived. Mind you, as of
yesterday there is one less to breed this summer.

Wopses are our friends.

I'm hoping there'll be another hornets' nest this year.

Heathrow! Eat yer heart out!

Can't stand them. As a child I remember the screams from my brother after
some bullies had put a hornet down the back of his shirt. No thanks. I know
they eat garden pests but they are too aggressive for my liking.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 3, 8:55*pm, "wafflycat"
wrote:
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message

. uk...

The message
from "wafflycat" contains these words:

I was hoping that the cold snap where I live would kill off overwintering
queen wasps. It would appear quite a few have survived. Mind you, as of
yesterday there is one less to breed this summer.

Wopses are our friends.

I'm hoping there'll be another hornets' nest this year.

Heathrow! Eat yer heart out!

Can't stand them. As a child I remember the screams from my brother after
some bullies had put a hornet down the back of his shirt. No thanks. I know
they eat garden pests but they are too aggressive for my liking.

I was hanging out washing today in a Dutch barn type thing:, a hornet,
buzzed me, too many times, I laid it out, with a wet pair of boxer
shorts. I hate them!!!!!

Judith
Old 03-05-2009, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

spruce wrote:
Hi all

I thought the hard winter would of cut down on a lot of the pest's.
But found my first Red lily beetle and vine weevil Saturday, plants
that normaly get greenfly in the spring yes they have them, I live in
South Wales and visit relatives in Surrey have the horse chesnut trees
been helped with the winter as we dont have that moth here where I live
yet ??.
Spruce

Hi,
I have deceased 3 Lily Beatles over the last couple of days and used a
pipe lighter on 3 leaves bearing orange eggs, So far all were on one
plant and none flew away before I got them.
Time to start with provado ultimate bug killer, a much as i am loathe to
use chemical, they aint having my lilies.
RegraCineman
Old 03-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Registered User

Location: Gloucester

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
It is not Boston Ivy, but Virginia Creeper Parthenocissus quinquefolia. It starts off on a small stem, but is a rampant climber, though less aggressive than Boston Ivy. It is not a tree.
Ah, then it's definitely not that as it's grown about 8 inches in 2 years.. my dad's got that growing up the wall and you're right it is rampant! here's another couple of pics..

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/n...aysusH/006.jpg

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/n...aysusH/005.jpg

Old 04-05-2009, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"cineman4" wrote in message
spruce wrote:
Hi all

I thought the hard winter would of cut down on a lot of the pest's.
But found my first Red lily beetle and vine weevil Saturday, plants
that normaly get greenfly in the spring yes they have them, I live in
South Wales and visit relatives in Surrey have the horse chesnut trees
been helped with the winter as we dont have that moth here where I live
yet ??.
Spruce

Hi,
I have deceased 3 Lily Beatles over the last couple of days and used a
pipe lighter on 3 leaves bearing orange eggs, So far all were on one plant
and none flew away before I got them.
Time to start with provado ultimate bug killer, a much as i am loathe to
use chemical, they aint having my lilies.
RegraCineman

Have a long think about using such an inseceticide - it's a systemic one and
there is growing concern about such insecticides over a *possible*
unintended side-effect of killing bees.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy View Post
Ah, then it's definitely not that as it's grown about 8 inches in 2 years.. my dad's got that growing up the wall and you're right it is rampant! here's another couple of pics..

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/n...aysusH/006.jpg

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/n...aysusH/005.jpg
There is a great difference growing a plant in the ground and growing it in a pot. If you plant out your little "tree" in a suitable spot, it will soon start growing. They look particularly well growing through a blue cypress, particualrly in the autumn.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-04 14:22:52 +0100, K said:

Candy writes

beccabunga;842462 Wrote:
It is not Boston Ivy, but Virginia Creeper Parthenocissus

quinquefolia.
It starts off on a small stem, but is a rampant climber, though less
aggressive than Boston Ivy. It is not a tree.

Ah, then it's definitely not that as it's grown about 8 inches in 2
years.. my dad's got that growing up the wall and you're right it is
rampant! here's another couple of pics..

http://tinyurl.com/c6fqxs

http://tinyurl.com/dmwp9z

It's looking less and less like a tree. Trees tend to have a leading
upright growth with branches sent off sideways. This one keeps
bifurcating. Everything about it says 'young climber' to me.

Even rampant plants very often start slowly while they build a good
root system as the foundation for future growth.

You mean it wouldn't be showing any tendrils - or whatever - yet, Kay,
if it's a climber? And thank you for directing me to the other photos.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 04-05-2009, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
On 2009-05-04 14:22:52 +0100, K said:

Candy writes
beccabunga;842462 Wrote:
It is not Boston Ivy, but Virginia Creeper Parthenocissus
quinquefolia.
It starts off on a small stem, but is a rampant climber, though less
aggressive than Boston Ivy. It is not a tree.
Ah, then it's definitely not that as it's grown about 8 inches in 2
years.. my dad's got that growing up the wall and you're right it is
rampant! here's another couple of pics..
http://tinyurl.com/c6fqxs
http://tinyurl.com/dmwp9z

It's looking less and less like a tree. Trees tend to have a leading
upright growth with branches sent off sideways. This one keeps
bifurcating. Everything about it says 'young climber' to me.
Even rampant plants very often start slowly while they build a good
root system as the foundation for future growth.

You mean it wouldn't be showing any tendrils - or whatever - yet, Kay,
if it's a climber?

Not all climbers have tendrils ;-) (Runner beans, honeysuckle, hop,
clematis ...)

And thank you for directing me to the other photos.

Ah, so it wasn't just me that saw them attached to the wrong thread.

--
Kay
Old 04-05-2009, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes
On 2009-05-04 14:22:52 +0100, K said:

Candy writes
beccabunga;842462 Wrote:
[...]

Indeed but there's no sign of any such inclination - YET - in this
plant. It's much too woody already to behave as your suggestions,
don't you think?!

And thank you for directing me to the other photos.

Ah, so it wasn't just me that saw them attached to the wrong thread.

For the last few days my reading - and posting - has been very limited
and sporadic. Things are a bit quieter after an extremely busy period
so I've done just a bit of catching up!