Old 05-05-2009, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dandelion Seeds

"'Mike'" wrote in message

.................................................. .............
"K" wrote in message
graham writes

They are regarded as a pest here and if you don't keep them under
control,
the city council can cut your infested lawn

And exactly what effect is cutting the lawn supposed to have?

If they are cut at the flowering stage, or even before, no weed heads to
blow about later :-))

I usually walk over the lawn every lunch-time and hand pick any flower or
developing head to keep things under control. I also spot spray after
cutting the lawn.
Graham
(Formerly from mid-Suffolk)

Old 05-05-2009, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"graham" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
graham writes

They are regarded as a pest here and if you don't keep them under
control,
the city council can cut your infested lawn

And exactly what effect is cutting the lawn supposed to have?

Some people let the dandelions virtually take over their lawns and don't
cut it often enough. If a neighbour complains, the city will cut it and
order the owner to do something about it. I agree, it is a bit "after the
horse has bolted" but some get really neurotic about them and they are
regarded as pestilential.

and charge a princely sum.
Ironically, some of the worst infected areas are city property.

I can only imagine you have far fewer dandelions than we have in the UK.
--

Not so! Grass dies back over the winter, my lawn is still mostly brown
and is very gradually greening up (we de-thatch [scarify] every Spring -

I might add that we don't have "billiard-table" lawns. I set my rotary
mower to almost the max height leaving the grass at ~2" or slightly more.
This encourages deeper roots and less watering. My Father would be
horrified{;-)
Graham

Old 06-05-2009, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 5 May 2009 09:41:02 +0100, David Rance
wrote:

Mike, just a thought: you post your message underneath the tear line
(two hyphens). I don't know about other mail readers but in Turnpike it
makes it difficult to quote your message when replying. Maybe this is
intentional - I don't know.

David

Thank goodness you said that - I thought it was me going mad.

Dandelions can have flower buds directly next to the soil so they are
almost impossible to mow off.
We have dug two bag fulls out of our lawn recently and I got a blood
blister for my trouble.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 12-05-2009, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"soulman" wrote in message

"Tim Jesson" wrote in message
Did anyone else get a storm of seeds over the weekend?

On Saturday lunchtime and Sunday evening they were blowing onto the
allotment like snow. I counted over 100 landing in a minute on an
area about a yard square. Thousands of them landed in an old bath
used as a water butt in a few hours.

On Saturday the intensity of the seed storm was incredible. No
wonder weeding is such hard work!

TJ

I had it here, loads!!!

.....and already the gerzillions of weed seedlings are popping up!

TJ

Old 12-05-2009, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

jane wrote:
On Tue, 5 May 2009 09:24:00 +0100, David Rance
wrote:

~On Mon, 4 May 2009 Tim Jesson wrote:
~
~Did anyone else get a storm of seeds over the weekend?
~
~On Saturday lunchtime and Sunday evening they were blowing onto the
~allotment like snow. I counted over 100 landing in a minute on an
area ~about a yard square. Thousands of them landed in an old bath
used as a ~water butt in a few hours.

I am already rueing the urge which made me show my toddler how to
blow dandelion clocks.

He now calls them pppfts!

Awww g

Old 07-06-2009, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Morton wrote:
On Mon, 4 May 2009 15:36:55 +0100, "Tim Jesson"
wrote:

I counted over 100 landing in a minute on an area
about a yard square.

Get a life mate. Try gardening. Home grown veg beats 'em all.

Home-grown dandelions :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
wrote in message
wrote:

I counted over 100 landing in a minute on an area
about a yard square.

Get a life mate. Try gardening. Home grown veg beats 'em all.

Home-grown dandelions :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Pretty flower :-))

Don't smell it :-((

Mike

Signs of Spring - Dandelion-2.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 1 30-04-2009 05:26 AM
dandelion seeds Phil L United Kingdom 8 27-04-2005 02:01 PM
Dandelion Removal Lawn Tool J.C. Lord Corp Lawns 0 12-05-2004 01:06 AM
growing dandelion Lattés Edible Gardening 9 28-07-2003 06:12 AM
Dandelion digger on a TV programme this morning?? [email protected] United Kingdom 2 11-11-2002 06:04 PM