Old 04-05-2009, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dandelion Seeds

Did anyone else get a storm of seeds over the weekend?

On Saturday lunchtime and Sunday evening they were blowing onto the
allotment like snow. I counted over 100 landing in a minute on an area
about a yard square. Thousands of them landed in an old bath used as a
water butt in a few hours.

On Saturday the intensity of the seed storm was incredible. No wonder
weeding is such hard work!

TJ

Old 04-05-2009, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 4 May 2009 15:36:55 +0100, "Tim Jesson"
wrote:

Did anyone else get a storm of seeds over the weekend?

On Saturday lunchtime and Sunday evening they were blowing onto the
allotment like snow. I counted over 100 landing in a minute on an area
about a yard square. Thousands of them landed in an old bath used as a
water butt in a few hours.

On Saturday the intensity of the seed storm was incredible. No wonder
weeding is such hard work!

TJ

Prepare to make dandelion wine! If you can't beat 'em........

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-05-2009, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Did anyone else get a storm of seeds over the weekend?

On Saturday lunchtime and Sunday evening they were blowing onto the
allotment like snow. I counted over 100 landing in a minute on an area
about a yard square. Thousands of them landed in an old bath used as a
water butt in a few hours.

On Saturday the intensity of the seed storm was incredible. No wonder
weeding is such hard work!

TJ

Prepare to make dandelion wine! If you can't beat 'em........

Don't stop there, tell us how to make the stuff, don't keep it to yourself!

Alan

Pam in Bristol

Old 04-05-2009, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 4 May 2009 20:27:27 +0100, "alan.holmes"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Did anyone else get a storm of seeds over the weekend?

On Saturday lunchtime and Sunday evening they were blowing onto the
allotment like snow. I counted over 100 landing in a minute on an area
about a yard square. Thousands of them landed in an old bath used as a
water butt in a few hours.

On Saturday the intensity of the seed storm was incredible. No wonder
weeding is such hard work!

TJ

Prepare to make dandelion wine! If you can't beat 'em........

Don't stop there, tell us how to make the stuff, don't keep it to yourself!

Alan

I'm sure Google can find you a recipe. I only did it once, about 40
years ago, but it was much better than I anticipated! My husband, who
was not keen on my home-made wine, was quite keen on it. You use just
the flowers, and with no flowers, there will be no seeds to blow
about.

Pam in Bristol

Old 04-05-2009, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Jesson" wrote in message
Did anyone else get a storm of seeds over the weekend?

On Saturday lunchtime and Sunday evening they were blowing onto the
allotment like snow. I counted over 100 landing in a minute on an area
about a yard square. Thousands of them landed in an old bath used as a
water butt in a few hours.

On Saturday the intensity of the seed storm was incredible. No wonder
weeding is such hard work!

They are regarded as a pest here and if you don't keep them under control,
the city council can cut your infested lawn and charge a princely sum.
Ironically, some of the worst infected areas are city property.
Graham

Old 05-05-2009, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Jesson" wrote in message
Did anyone else get a storm of seeds over the weekend?

On Saturday lunchtime and Sunday evening they were blowing onto the
allotment like snow. I counted over 100 landing in a minute on an area
about a yard square. Thousands of them landed in an old bath used as a
water butt in a few hours.

On Saturday the intensity of the seed storm was incredible. No wonder
weeding is such hard work!

TJ

I had it here, loads!!!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

graham writes

They are regarded as a pest here and if you don't keep them under control,
the city council can cut your infested lawn

And exactly what effect is cutting the lawn supposed to have?

and charge a princely sum.
Ironically, some of the worst infected areas are city property.

I can only imagine you have far fewer dandelions than we have in the UK.
--
Kay
Old 05-05-2009, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 4 May 2009 Tim Jesson wrote:

Did anyone else get a storm of seeds over the weekend?

On Saturday lunchtime and Sunday evening they were blowing onto the
allotment like snow. I counted over 100 landing in a minute on an area
about a yard square. Thousands of them landed in an old bath used as a
water butt in a few hours.

On Saturday the intensity of the seed storm was incredible. No wonder
weeding is such hard work!

It has been mentioned elsewhere, I think, that dandelion is prolific
this year. I noticed a couple of weeks ago in Normandy that the roadside
verges were absolutely thick with them where normally the yellow colour
would be from celandine and/or cowslips.

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 05-05-2009, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
.................................................. ..............
"K" wrote in message
graham writes

They are regarded as a pest here and if you don't keep them under control,
the city council can cut your infested lawn

And exactly what effect is cutting the lawn supposed to have?

If they are cut at the flowering stage, or even before, no weed heads to
blow about later :-))

Mike

Old 05-05-2009, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 5 May 2009 'Mike' wrote:

They are regarded as a pest here and if you don't keep them under
control, the city council can cut your infested lawn

And exactly what effect is cutting the lawn supposed to have?

If they are cut at the flowering stage, or even before, no weed heads
to blow about later :-))

As long as you don't leave the flowers lying around. Even unopened cut
dandelion flowers will eventually produce seed.

Mike, just a thought: you post your message underneath the tear line
(two hyphens). I don't know about other mail readers but in Turnpike it
makes it difficult to quote your message when replying. Maybe this is
intentional - I don't know.

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 05-05-2009, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

David Rance writes
On Tue, 5 May 2009 'Mike' wrote:

They are regarded as a pest here and if you don't keep them under
control, the city council can cut your infested lawn

And exactly what effect is cutting the lawn supposed to have?

If they are cut at the flowering stage, or even before, no weed heads
to blow about later :-))

I should have said 'and just what effect is cutting the lawn once, after
complaints have been received and due processes gone through, supposed
to have?' I doubt that even the most efficient council would keep on top
of mowing a recalcitrant lawn owner's lawn sufficiently frequently to
stop dandelion seeds. And I wonder what they were planning to do with
all the dandelions amongst the flower beds?

--
Kay
Old 05-05-2009, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The alternative is to top post where the cursor is when I open. I always
move the cursor to the bottom so as to make it a follow on.

Your comments and advice will be welcome. I have left your posting in, so
you can see what I mean when I say, I would go under your bit

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Moving down, my reply would be here :-))

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............

Old 05-05-2009, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 5 May 2009 'Mike' wrote:

The alternative is to top post where the cursor is when I open.

That's where it always is and is why people tend to top post.

I always
move the cursor to the bottom so as to make it a follow on.

Your comments and advice will be welcome. I have left your posting in, so
you can see what I mean when I say, I would go under your bit

It's just curious that your newsreader puts a tear line at the top and
then the quoted text comes underneath. If the tear line at the top
weren't there it would be fine. As it is, Turnpike treats all the text
under the tear line as a sig and deletes it on reply. Not important if
you don't want your text quoted!

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 05-05-2009, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
graham writes

They are regarded as a pest here and if you don't keep them under control,
the city council can cut your infested lawn

And exactly what effect is cutting the lawn supposed to have?

Some people let the dandelions virtually take over their lawns and don't cut
it often enough. If a neighbour complains, the city will cut it and order
the owner to do something about it. I agree, it is a bit "after the horse
has bolted" but some get really neurotic about them and they are regarded as
pestilential.

and charge a princely sum.
Ironically, some of the worst infected areas are city property.

I can only imagine you have far fewer dandelions than we have in the UK.
--

Not so! Grass dies back over the winter, my lawn is still mostly brown and
is very gradually greening up (we de-thatch [scarify] every Spring - mine

Signs of Spring - Dandelion-2.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 1 30-04-2009 05:26 AM
dandelion seeds Phil L United Kingdom 8 27-04-2005 02:01 PM
Dandelion Removal Lawn Tool J.C. Lord Corp Lawns 0 12-05-2004 01:06 AM
growing dandelion Lattés Edible Gardening 9 28-07-2003 06:12 AM
Dandelion digger on a TV programme this morning?? [email protected] United Kingdom 2 11-11-2002 06:04 PM