Old 07-05-2009, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Basil query

I haven't grown Basil before, but does this grow very s-l-o-w-l-y?

I sowed some seeds in March which sprouted normally after 2 weeks.
Then they formed their first pair of true leaves by mid April, when I
potted up 2 of the 12 seedlings sprouted. Since then all the seedlings
seem to have made hardly any further progress including the 2 that
were potted on. The 2 true leaves have slightly expanded but that's
about all.

Is this slow progress normal for Basil?
Old 07-05-2009, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Frank Booth Snr writes
I haven't grown Basil before, but does this grow very s-l-o-w-l-y?

I sowed some seeds in March which sprouted normally after 2 weeks.
Then they formed their first pair of true leaves by mid April, when I
potted up 2 of the 12 seedlings sprouted. Since then all the seedlings
seem to have made hardly any further progress including the 2 that
were potted on. The 2 true leaves have slightly expanded but that's
about all.

Is this slow progress normal for Basil?

It does seem a bit slow. They like it warm with moist soil - they're
tropical in origin I believe, not Mediterranean

--
Kay
Old 07-05-2009, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 17:36:54 +0100, Frank Booth Snr said:

I haven't grown Basil before, but does this grow very s-l-o-w-l-y?

I sowed some seeds in March which sprouted normally after 2 weeks.
Then they formed their first pair of true leaves by mid April, when I
potted up 2 of the 12 seedlings sprouted. Since then all the seedlings
seem to have made hardly any further progress including the 2 that
were potted on. The 2 true leaves have slightly expanded but that's
about all.

Is this slow progress normal for Basil?

AIUI, they need bottom heat to really get them going.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 07-05-2009, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Frank Booth Snr" wrote in message
I haven't grown Basil before, but does this grow very s-l-o-w-l-y?

I sowed some seeds in March which sprouted normally after 2 weeks.
Then they formed their first pair of true leaves by mid April, when I
potted up 2 of the 12 seedlings sprouted. Since then all the seedlings
seem to have made hardly any further progress including the 2 that
were potted on. The 2 true leaves have slightly expanded but that's
about all.

Is this slow progress normal for Basil?

I have a small tray of Basil and it's the same story here.
mark

Old 07-05-2009, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Frank Booth Snr" wrote in message
I haven't grown Basil before, but does this grow very s-l-o-w-l-y?

I sowed some seeds in March which sprouted normally after 2 weeks.
Then they formed their first pair of true leaves by mid April, when I
potted up 2 of the 12 seedlings sprouted. Since then all the seedlings
seem to have made hardly any further progress including the 2 that
were potted on. The 2 true leaves have slightly expanded but that's
about all.

Is this slow progress normal for Basil?

I am no expert but it is normal for my basil. It starts with unreliable
germination, then the period of unsatisfactory growth and then when I plant
them out the slugs just love them.
#
Tim W

Old 08-05-2009, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 17:36:54 +0100, Frank Booth Snr said:

I haven't grown Basil before, but does this grow very s-l-o-w-l-y?

I sowed some seeds in March which sprouted normally after 2 weeks.
Then they formed their first pair of true leaves by mid April, when I
potted up 2 of the 12 seedlings sprouted. Since then all the seedlings
seem to have made hardly any further progress including the 2 that
were potted on. The 2 true leaves have slightly expanded but that's
about all.

Is this slow progress normal for Basil?

AIUI, they need bottom heat to really get them going.

I think that's for germination purposes but I had 100% germination
fairly quickly without bottom heat. I think I've discovered my
problem. I left them outside over the past few weeks and we've had
some rather cool nights 40%-45% on some occasions which may have
stalled them. I've also read that they hate water on their stems and
should be watered from the bottom which I didn't do, so I probably
added to the problem. Oh well!
Old 08-05-2009, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Frank Booth Snr writes
On 2009-05-07 17:36:54 +0100, Frank Booth Snr said:

I haven't grown Basil before, but does this grow very s-l-o-w-l-y?

I sowed some seeds in March which sprouted normally after 2 weeks.
Then they formed their first pair of true leaves by mid April, when I
potted up 2 of the 12 seedlings sprouted. Since then all the seedlings
seem to have made hardly any further progress including the 2 that
were potted on. The 2 true leaves have slightly expanded but that's
about all.

Is this slow progress normal for Basil?

AIUI, they need bottom heat to really get them going.

I think that's for germination purposes but I had 100% germination
fairly quickly without bottom heat. I think I've discovered my
problem. I left them outside over the past few weeks and we've had
some rather cool nights 40%-45% on some occasions which may have
stalled them.

I'd have said it was far too cool for them to be outside yet. Even in
summer, they're borderline for outside. I always grow mine in the
greenhouse and on the kitchen windowsill.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 May, 15:10, K wrote:
Frank Booth Snr writes

On 2009-05-07 17:36:54 +0100, Frank Booth Snr said:

[...]

Really? I had no idea they were that tropically inclined. I left them
outside to harden the seedlings off, but it seems they're more tender
than your average half hardy plant from what I've read since.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mark wrote:
"Frank Booth Snr" wrote in message
I haven't grown Basil before, but does this grow very s-l-o-w-l-y?

I sowed some seeds in March which sprouted normally after 2 weeks.
Then they formed their first pair of true leaves by mid April, when I
potted up 2 of the 12 seedlings sprouted. Since then all the seedlings
seem to have made hardly any further progress including the 2 that
were potted on. The 2 true leaves have slightly expanded but that's
about all.

Is this slow progress normal for Basil?

I have a small tray of Basil and it's the same story here.
mark

Mine too, sowed them in the greenhouse, moved them to the conservatory
and eventually to the kitchen windowsill but still slow to grow!
Oh well, back to Tesco

--
Corporal Jones
"I don't like it up me"

Letting Basil Go To Seed (was: Keeping Basil) Daniel B. Martin North Carolina 1 13-11-2003 01:14 PM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 3 04-03-2003 10:27 PM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 0 24-02-2003 10:03 PM
hydroponic basil speeder Gardening 1 27-01-2003 07:08 PM
gnats in my basil Eddie G Lawns 1 17-12-2002 09:11 AM