Old 11-05-2009, 11:36 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default What is it? (Garden Structure)

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

A pity there' nothing useful to use it for.

It would only get filled with crap ;-)

Old 11-05-2009, 11:45 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Andrew May writes:
Full marks for everyone who identified it as a septic tank. Based on the
information provided here I excavated further to the left of the first
chamber and came across what can only be described as a standard
inspection chamber. Straight through with a pipe from the house and
exiting into the first tank. I have added photos for the benefit of
anyone not by now terminally bored by this thread.

I couldn't see any new pictures, although the page was just updated.

The one oddity is that the pipe that I thought was the inlet to the
first chamber in fact comes from above the water level in the inspection
chamber and the inlet to this is blanked off with a clay disk sealed
with pitch. This all seems to be a single piece of ceramic so I assume
it is intentional. Is it some sort of safety valve in the case of
exploding gasses?

You might be describing an interceptor trap, but difficult to tell
without a picture.

Thanks for all your help. Now I know what it is I can start dismantling
it and planting the garden.

A pity there' nothing useful to use it for.

Whoops! You are of course right. I have updated but not uploaded to the
server. Will do so as soon as I get home this evening.

Andrew
Old 11-05-2009, 01:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

--
..
wrote in message ...
On 11 May,
Andrew May wrote:

Whoops! You are of course right. I have updated but not uploaded to the
server. Will do so as soon as I get home this evening.

What's the URL? The OP has slipped off my server and doesn't seem to be on
google.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

http://www.girton.ukfsn.org/excavations.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

You might be describing an interceptor trap, but difficult to tell
without a picture.

That soundes like it. Almost exactly matches the first picture on the
second set of pages he

http://www.plumbinghelps.co.uk/page2.htm

Andrew
Old 11-05-2009, 06:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Andrew May writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

You might be describing an interceptor trap, but difficult to tell
without a picture.

That soundes like it. Almost exactly matches the first picture on the
second set of pages he

http://www.plumbinghelps.co.uk/page2.htm

There's one in a 1900 manhole here, probably exactly the
same (except I can only see the exposed bit in the manhole,
and it's made of iron).

I'd hate to have to remove the inspection plug -- probably
never been removed in 100 years.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Old 11-05-2009, 06:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I couldn't see any new pictures, although the page was just updated.

Should now be up at http://www.girton.ukfsn.org/excavations/

Andrew

[IBC] Jap Maple Structure cut Martin Haber Bonsai 5 11-10-2003 11:02 PM
Jap Maple Structure cut Theo Bonsai 0 11-10-2003 01:12 PM
Advice on pond bottom (structure) Bob Adkins Ponds 4 10-06-2003 11:20 PM
cost of installing pergola or shade structure for patio Lil Gardening 8 04-06-2003 12:56 PM
Soil structure (was: Warning about tiller) Dwight Sipler Gardening 5 14-05-2003 03:56 PM