Old 14-05-2009, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default impossible, oh surely not?

Judith or David may have an idea, I hope others may as well!

In our little garden in France (Dordogne valley slopes, limestone about
five inches beneath the surface) we have roses, lavender, irises, day
lilies, michaelmas daisies, sage, all abundant. But there is one bed
where I can't seem to grow anything. It's about eighteen inches deep and
eight foot long, against a limestone drystone wall at the gate of the
garden. It faces southeast, but in the winter it's in shadow from the
building on the other side of the path. It gets sun from about nine to
three between April and September. It has quite a slope. It's a dry bed
and we can't get the irrigation system up there.

There's a well-established Kerria at the top end - and I can't get
anything else nice to grow there at all! Thistles, grasses, wild
clematis, and ivy grow with abandon. I've tried canna, which grow like
weeds elsewhere in the village, but the snails ate all the leaves and
they haven't come up at all this year. I sow nasturtiums, which
sprouted one year but not the next. This year I divided up a choked iris
bed and put in some rhizomes, but snails like eating their leaves too,
so I don't hope for much. I also put in some spare daffodil bulbs, but
we're rarely there early enough to enjoy them.

Any ideas? We're there again in June/beginning of July, and again end
of August, so anything that shows in May, June/July, or August/September
would be perfect. It has to be snail-repellent!

There's a page of photos here - the impossible bed is about ten down.

http://www.newcockaigne.demon.co.uk/photos/index.html

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally
Old 14-05-2009, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Kate Brown writes

There's a well-established Kerria at the top end - and I can't get
anything else nice to grow there at all! Thistles, grasses, wild
clematis, and ivy grow with abandon.

So have you tried ornamental grasses, thistles, eryngium based on what
already grows there)?

I've tried canna, which grow like weeds elsewhere in the village, but
the snails ate all the leaves and they haven't come up at all this
year. I sow nasturtiums, which sprouted one year but not the next.
This year I divided up a choked iris bed and put in some rhizomes, but
snails like eating their leaves too, so I don't hope for much. I also
put in some spare daffodil bulbs, but we're rarely there early enough
to enjoy them.

Probably not damp enough in winter for daffs.

What about the various succulents? Livingsotne daisies, sedums
(spectabile doesn't get eaten by snails, I don't know about the others)

--
Kay
Old 14-05-2009, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 14, 11:18*am, Kate Brown wrote:
[...]

First of all, you have a beautiful home and garden Kate. I, too, have
problem areas in my garden; heavy sticky pottery clay, it would seem
that a vine would be suited to that area in my garden. For yours, you
could also try a vine, they are more than happy in a dry soil but I
don't know whether you would have adequate sunshine hours to make it
fruit, maybe? You could get one in espalier mode so that it could be
supported against the wall. Apart from that; geraniums would be
happy there, lots of different types, trailing etc and when you are
away, they tend to look after themselves. Sorry I'm not too much help
but there are others here who will advise you.

Judith
Old 14-05-2009, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 14 May 2009, K wrote
Kate Brown writes

There's a well-established Kerria at the top end - and I can't get
anything else nice to grow there at all! Thistles, grasses, wild
clematis, and ivy grow with abandon.

So have you tried ornamental grasses, thistles, eryngium based on what
already grows there)?

There's a lot of grass around the garden already,so no - I was looking
for flowers, really, something a bit colourful.

I've tried canna, which grow like weeds elsewhere in the village, but
the snails ate all the leaves and they haven't come up at all this
year. I sow nasturtiums, which sprouted one year but not the next.
This year I divided up a choked iris bed and put in some rhizomes, but
snails like eating their leaves too, so I don't hope for much. I also
put in some spare daffodil bulbs, but we're rarely there early enough
to enjoy them.

Probably not damp enough in winter for daffs.

What about the various succulents? Livingsotne daisies, sedums
(spectabile doesn't get eaten by snails, I don't know about the others)

Livingstone daisies are annuals, so too late for this year, but I could
sow some next spring. Sedums are a good idea, though, thank you. Will
look for some in June - you don't happen to know if there are any tricky
local French words for it, do you?

Old 14-05-2009, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 14 May 2009, Judith in France wrote
[...]

Thanks, Judith! Our soil is dry and very limey, not much clay, and we do
have a lovely vine, which shelters the terrace from late May onwards
(see cour july 2). It does produce grapes and the chap who does the big
work in our garden (mowing the meadow, pruning the trees, etc) picks
them every year and adds them to his own to make a fairly nasty and not
very alcoholic, but wonderfully organic wine. The wall of the problem
bed is very low, it drops down from the tarmaced road above, a couple of
feet or so.

We already have a lot of geraniums - about eight pots just down from the
entrance (see cour july 1). Also, they never survive over winter, so
are effectively annuals, and ideally we'd like something that smothered
the grasses and thistles and came up every year...!

Old 14-05-2009, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-14 11:18:03 +0100, Kate Brown said:

[...]

What a lovely place you have - lucky you! Had you thought of geraniums
- the cranesbills, not the pelargoniums. They tolerate most soils and
don't seem to troubled by pests. Some types don't miind a fair bit of
shade. One that we especially like is called Geranium Jolly Bee and it
flowers for ages here, well into October, spreading quickly into
sizeable mounds. You could try just one or two as an experiment this
year and then add more if it works.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 14-05-2009, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 14 May 2009, Sacha wrote
On 2009-05-14 11:18:03 +0100, Kate Brown said:

[...]

that's a good idea, thank you Sacha - herb robert grows everywhere so
other cranesbills should too. As long as they're not blue - we have
blue ones here in Blackheath and are getting very fed up with them, they
are so prolific!

Old 14-05-2009, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 14, 11:18*am, Kate Brown wrote:
Judith or David may have an idea, I hope others may as well!

Any ideas? *We're there again in June/beginning of July, and again end
of August, so anything that shows in May, June/July, or August/September
would be perfect. It has to be snail-repellent!

At the risk of being accused (again) by Martin of being a blood
thirsty, creature destroyer, why don't you just kill the snails?
Old 14-05-2009, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 14 May 2009, moghouse wrote
On May 14, 11:18*am, Kate Brown wrote:
Judith or David may have an idea, I hope others may as well!

Any ideas? *We're there again in June/beginning of July, and again end
of August, so anything that shows in May, June/July, or August/September
would be perfect. It has to be snail-repellent!

At the risk of being accused (again) by Martin of being a blood
thirsty, creature destroyer, why don't you just kill the snails?

Oh, I do, but we're not there enough to keep an eye on things. Did I
mention we have a problem with cat poo too?

Old 14-05-2009, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Kate Brown writes
On Thu, 14 May 2009, K wrote
Kate Brown writes

There's a well-established Kerria at the top end - and I can't get
anything else nice to grow there at all! Thistles, grasses, wild
clematis, and ivy grow with abandon.

So have you tried ornamental grasses, thistles, eryngium based on what
already grows there)?

There's a lot of grass around the garden already,so no - I was looking
for flowers, really, something a bit colourful.

Some of the grasses are quite colourful ;-)
(red, orange, steely blue)
But not point having anything that you won't enjoy in that spot.

I've tried canna, which grow like weeds elsewhere in the village, but
the snails ate all the leaves and they haven't come up at all this
year. I sow nasturtiums, which sprouted one year but not the next.
This year I divided up a choked iris bed and put in some rhizomes,
but snails like eating their leaves too, so I don't hope for much. I
also put in some spare daffodil bulbs, but we're rarely there early
enough to enjoy them.

Probably not damp enough in winter for daffs.

What about the various succulents? Livingsotne daisies, sedums
(spectabile doesn't get eaten by snails, I don't know about the others)

Livingstone daisies are annuals, so too late for this year, but I could
sow some next spring. Sedums are a good idea, though, thank you. Will
look for some in June - you don't happen to know if there are any
tricky local French words for it, do you?

No sorry.

Pelargoniums are tolerant of neglect (in this case, a soil that is well
drained to the point of drought), at least the scented leaved ones. But
they do like *some* water in the autumn. Take cuttings before the winter
and grow fresh each year.

Or you could try the aloes, agaves, haworthias - some with bright orange
flowers. Probably have to bring them in over winter.

--
Kay

Old 14-05-2009, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
What a lovely place you have - lucky you! Had you thought of geraniums
- the cranesbills, not the pelargoniums. They tolerate most soils and
don't seem to troubled by pests. Some types don't miind a fair bit of
shade. One that we especially like is called Geranium Jolly Bee and it
flowers for ages here, well into October, spreading quickly into
sizeable mounds. You could try just one or two as an experiment this
year and then add more if it works.

Don't the ones that tolerate shade prefer soil that is a bit damper? Or
are there ones that cope with both dry soil and shade?

G endressii (French geranium) is a possibility - that seems to grow
anywhere, sun and shade and rubbish soil, ad once it starts flowering,
it flowers pretty well for the whole summer. Bright pink flowers, not
blue!
--
Kay
Old 14-05-2009, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 14 May 2009, K wrote
Sacha writes
What a lovely place you have - lucky you! Had you thought of
geraniums - the cranesbills, not the pelargoniums. They tolerate most
soils and don't seem to troubled by pests. Some types don't miind a
fair bit of shade. One that we especially like is called Geranium
Jolly Bee and it flowers for ages here, well into October, spreading
quickly into sizeable mounds. You could try just one or two as an
experiment this year and then add more if it works.

Don't the ones that tolerate shade prefer soil that is a bit damper? Or
are there ones that cope with both dry soil and shade?

G endressii (French geranium) is a possibility - that seems to grow
anywhere, sun and shade and rubbish soil, ad once it starts flowering,
it flowers pretty well for the whole summer. Bright pink flowers, not
blue!

Sounds just the thing. Thanks!

Old 14-05-2009, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 14 May 2009, K wrote
Kate Brown writes
On Thu, 14 May 2009, K wrote
Kate Brown writes

[...]

The problem is that we haven't got anywhere to bring them in - there's a
dark room under the house where we store garden furniture, but although
it's damp, there's no way to water anything, and our visits in spring
are either too early to bring things out - Easter - or too late - May,
and we pack up in September or October - we often do try and preserve
things, but it rarely works...

Old 14-05-2009, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
[...]

What about proper Geraniums (hardy cransbills) never found a place you
can not grow one or other of them
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 14-05-2009, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 14, 12:44*pm, Martin wrote:

At the risk of being accused (again) by Martin of being a blood
thirsty, creature destroyer, why don't you just kill the snails?

Where's the sport in that?

With a bow and arrow by candlelight? Do try and keep up, Martin.