Old 20-05-2009, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Costs of tree surgery

I've just had a quote of £260-350 for a crown lift, 10% thin and slight
reduction of a mature walnut tree - is this reasonable?

Old 20-05-2009, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-20 17:25:30 +0100, NoSpam said:

I've just had a quote of £260-350 for a crown lift, 10% thin and slight
reduction of a mature walnut tree - is this reasonable?

Just for a moment there I thought we'd turned into a hair dressing
group! ;-)) I think it probably is reasonable though we haven't
done that here. But I know it was around £250 each to take down some
mature trees a year or two back. Here's a site that might help you
compa
http://www.surreytreesurgeons.co.uk/...on_surrey.html
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 20-05-2009, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"NoSpam" wrote in message
| I've just had a quote of £260-350 for a crown lift, 10% thin and slight
| reduction of a mature walnut tree - is this reasonable?

Depends on where you live. I am in Kent and I had 2 mature trees and 1
small apple tree felled and a crown reduction on a large silver birch. It
came to £280 and that included then removing all the rubbish. And they were
proper tree surgeons. A friend told me that if a tree surgeon turns up with
a ladder send him away!!

If you're in Kent/Surrey/Sussex I can give you their name.

Angela

Old 20-05-2009, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Angela wrote:
"NoSpam" wrote in message
| I've just had a quote of £260-350 for a crown lift, 10% thin and slight
| reduction of a mature walnut tree - is this reasonable?

Depends on where you live. I am in Kent and I had 2 mature trees and 1
small apple tree felled and a crown reduction on a large silver birch. It
came to £280 and that included then removing all the rubbish. And they were
proper tree surgeons. A friend told me that if a tree surgeon turns up with
a ladder send him away!!

If you're in Kent/Surrey/Sussex I can give you their name.

Angela

Thanks, but I'm in Hampshire
Old 20-05-2009, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-20 17:25:30 +0100, NoSpam said:

I've just had a quote of £260-350 for a crown lift, 10% thin and
slight reduction of a mature walnut tree - is this reasonable?

Just for a moment there I thought we'd turned into a hair dressing
group! ;-)) I think it probably is reasonable though we haven't done
that here. But I know it was around £250 each to take down some mature
trees a year or two back. Here's a site that might help you compa
http://www.surreytreesurgeons.co.uk/...on_surrey.html

That's useful, thanks. It makes me think that my quote is a bit on the
high side.

Old 20-05-2009, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

compahttp://www.surreytreesurgeons.co.uk/...surgeon_surrey....
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

LOL I thought it was about cosmetic surgery :-) We had a mature,
diseased, oak felled, it was in the region of £200.

Judith
Old 21-05-2009, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-20 17:25:30 +0100, NoSpam said:

I've just had a quote of £260-350 for a crown lift, 10% thin and slight
reduction of a mature walnut tree - is this reasonable?

Just for a moment there I thought we'd turned into a hair dressing
group! *;-)) * *I think it probably is reasonable though we haven't
done that here. *But I know it was around £250 each to take down some
mature trees a year or two back. * Here's a site that might help you
compahttp://www.surreytreesurgeons.co.uk/...surgeon_surrey....
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Shopping around is good. I once had to get some very large trees
removed. The highest price was touching £4OO0
the cheapest £900. All equally insured, equipped etc.
Old 22-05-2009, 12:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"NoSpam" wrote in message
I've just had a quote of £260-350 for a crown lift, 10% thin and slight
reduction of a mature walnut tree - is this reasonable?

Sounds a bit high, get some other quotes.

Tina

Old 22-05-2009, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"NoSpam" wrote in message
I've just had a quote of £260-350 for a crown lift, 10% thin and slight
reduction of a mature walnut tree - is this reasonable?

Sounds a bit high, get some other quotes.

Tina

What had they seen to make them feel that the quote could be met?????

My daughter and son in law wanted a tree down when they were landscaping
their gardens. A chap had been to us and done some work and at a fair price,
"Let's have his number" SIL requested. Chap duly rung and yes I will be
over. I regret that he turned up just as the cars were being cleaned and all
lined up in the drive in front of the house. These included a Jag and a
Rolls Royce + others.

"£1000 to fell that tree" He didn't even have to take anything as they have
a log burning stove in what they call "The Barn" which is their entertaining
building.

They got it done for £150.00

One does not become Multi Millionaire by being ripped off by people

Mike

Old 22-05-2009, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Charlie Pridham writes
In article ,
says...

I thought it sound within the range that would be reasonable, after all
we do not know the access or whats under the tree that may be damaged if
care is not taken. But getting 3 quotes is always worth the time and if
you can find a cheaper firm you may as well save the money. I would
certainly want to see the insurance certificate before allowing work to
start.

Getting 3 quotes is always useful because the different salespeople
approach things in different ways and between them highlight all sorts
of problems that you wouldn't have thought about had you spoken to just
one.
--
Kay
Old 23-05-2009, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The trouble is that the cheapest is not always the best.

Has the tree got a TPO, all tree men would check up at the council,
but it takes time.
How tall, how old, how hazardous ie rotten limbs, greenhouses,
overhanging neighbours gardens and fences, near a road, near power
cables, near telephone cables etc etc.
How accessible to get a chipper in, or drag everything out to the
road.
Even leaving the tree, as I have a log burner, costs money. As
somebody somewhere has got to crosscut it up, and stack it.

Old 15-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Registered User

Angela I read this post
(And they were proper tree surgeons. A friend told me that if a tree surgeon turns up with
a ladder send him away!!

If you're in Kent/Surrey/Sussex I can give you their name.)

I am wanting a recommeneded tree surgeon so could you please give me their name?

I live in West Sussex, Many thanks,

Edmar
Old 25-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Registered User

Hi Angela,

I live in Kent and am looking at getting 2 trees felled - can you let me have the details of the tree surgeons you used?

Thanks,

Ian

Old 12-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Registered User

Quote:

If you're in Kent/Surrey/Sussex I can give you their name.

Angela
Hi Angela

I'm in same area and need some tree work - can you give me their name please.

Thanks tom