Old 05-06-2009, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default drainage in side of huge pot

My small front garden is mainly populated by pots.

Novice also wants to grow some pine trees and bamboo in these small cold
water storage tanks.

See pictu

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2192hyt&s=5

These tanks are 45cm (18") x 33cm (13") x [30cm (12") high].

Since i will only water the garden about once a week, it would be ideal not
to put any drainage holes in the tank, so any rain would *all* be collected
in the pot. But since i'm afraid of causing rot in the roots, i think i
must have some drainage holes.

I have found in the past that the roots find the holes after a while and go
down into the soil, causing problems when i want to move things around at a
later date.

So what I thought I would do is put some drainage holes in the *side * of
the tank. Then I can easily see if the roots are pushing through.

The question is; how high up the side of the tank to put the holes? If i
put them up say 3 or 4 inches from the bottom, it would trap a bit of water
(like these 'so called' self watering pots).

Would that be about right? Any higher would be better in that it would
retain more water, but would it cause root rot? Grateful for any
suggestions on the best height of the holes.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 12:11:41 +0100, "john royce"
wrote:

[...]

Why not put the holes in the bottom and raise the pot onto a couple of
bricks or similar?

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....
Old 05-06-2009, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john royce" wrote in message
[...]

You really need to learn more about your plants first. The pine and bamboo
may
have different watering (and soil!) requirements. If they do, you may not
be able to plant them together, if that was your intention. Also, you can
build in drainage by putting stones or polystrene in the base, which will
also save you money on compost. You will need a soil-based compost, btw, to
give the tanks stability in windy conditions.

As Ron says, you could still drill holes in the bottom and place the tanks
on brick stacks. This is actually a very good idea because, in winter, the
rootball will be protected from the icy ground. It won't protect the sides
of the tank, though, so you'll need to plan for some winter protection.

If I were you, I would err on the side of dryness. More plants are killed
from over-watering than from dryness. You can always add water, but you
won't find it easy to wring the rootball out when it gets too soggy. You've
obviously thought about this, hence the question, but the only time I use
side drainage is when I'm growing bog plants or marginals. By all means
experiment, but not on valued specimens. If you still want to try, look at
the 'self-watering' pots you mention. The water reserve isn't that deep, is
it?

Hope this helps.

Spider

Old 05-06-2009, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:

As Ron says, you could still drill holes in the bottom and place the tanks
on brick stacks. This is actually a very good idea because, in winter, the
rootball will be protected from the icy ground.

I'm just trying to ponder the physics of how, when it gets really
cold, the small mass of the tank will stay warmer than the large
mass of the ground?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹ writes
wrote:

[...]

I often put holes in the sides of pots to get a slight reservoir effect
- mainly so that if the soil does get dry, water that I apply doesn't
pour straight through, but instead pools in the bottom of the pot to be
absorbed slowly.

I put mine anything from an inch to 3 inches depending on the size of
the pot. You need to make sure you have adequate soil above the holes,
so that the plants have adequate root masses in soil that is not
waterlogged.

If you're worried about drainage, you can always fill the pot as far as
the holes with stones or crocks, and that is the best possible mimicking
of a 'self watering' pot.

--
Kay

Old 05-06-2009, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Spider wrote:

As Ron says, you could still drill holes in the bottom and place the tanks
on brick stacks. This is actually a very good idea because, in winter,
the
rootball will be protected from the icy ground.

I'm just trying to ponder the physics of how, when it gets really
cold, the small mass of the tank will stay warmer than the large
mass of the ground?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

It may only stay *slightly* warmer, but that may make all the difference. I
did suggest that further rootball protection would be necessary. In
practice, if the tank (and therefore the rootball) are protected, the
smaller mass of the tank will necessarily warm up before the greater mass of
the frozen ground. This gives the plant a reasonable chance in cold
weather.

Spider

Huge Yew Tree or Huge Yew Bush? 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 0 27-05-2009 11:28 AM
Flowers: side by side mea305 Gardening 1 10-01-2007 02:23 PM
[IBC] Drainage and other unfortunate mysteries (was : Bonsai Today article on drainage) Andy Rutledge Bonsai 6 23-12-2003 05:42 PM
south side of a solo tree in open field is the best side Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 2 15-05-2003 02:20 PM