Old 19-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Registered User

Default ATCO Viscount

Hi All,

I inherited an ATCO Viscount petrol mower.
I have used it for about a year with no problems. Yesterday I ws cutting the grass when it suddenley stopped. No noise or drama it just stopped. I checked the fuel which was fine. I tried pulling the starter cord but it would not pull. I checked the oil which was low but covered the end of the dip stick by about 5mm.

I let it cool down over night and tried again this morning but it's still the same.
Any suggestions?

Ian
Old 19-06-2009, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Adders21" wrote in message

Hi All,

I inherited an ATCO Viscount petrol mower.
I have used it for about a year with no problems. Yesterday I ws
cutting the grass when it suddenley stopped. No noise or drama it just
stopped. I checked the fuel which was fine. I tried pulling the starter
cord but it would not pull. I checked the oil which was low but covered
the end of the dip stick by about 5mm.

I let it cool down over night and tried again this morning but it's
still the same.
Any suggestions?

Ian

--
Adders21

Lead jumped off spark plug or come too loose to make contact

Mike

Old 21-06-2009, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Adders21" wrote in message

"'Mike'[_4_ Wrote:
;851978"]--
..
"Adders21" wrote in message
...-

Hi All,

I inherited an ATCO Viscount petrol mower.
I have used it for about a year with no problems. Yesterday I ws
cutting the grass when it suddenley stopped. No noise or drama it
just
stopped. I checked the fuel which was fine. I tried pulling the
starter
cord but it would not pull. I checked the oil which was low but
covered
the end of the dip stick by about 5mm.

I let it cool down over night and tried again this morning but it's
still the same.
Any suggestions?

Ian

--
Adders21-

Lead jumped off spark plug or come too loose to make contact

Mike

Hi Mike,

The lead is intact. It's the pull cord that will not pull.

Cheers
Ian

Sorry Ian didn't read the posting properly :-((

For the machine to stop dead like that, and for the pull cord not to work, I
would say that the machine picked something up and jammed it solid.

Not familiar with that machine but I would remove the lead from the spark
plug (FOR SAFETY REASONS) and check out the blades and inlet. Try to turn
the blades (thus the remove the spark plug lead) you should be able to turn
them. Whilst there, you might find a stick or something jammed.

If nothing there, it sounds like a seize up inside :-(((

Hope that helps.

Mike

Old 21-06-2009, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"'Mike'" wrote in message

.
"Adders21" wrote in message

"'Mike'[_4_ Wrote:
;851978"]--
..
"Adders21" wrote in message
...-

[...]

Having checked out the machine on
http://www.gooshing.co.uk/lawn_mower..._rotary_mower/ I
would definitely say that it is a drive problem, either to the rotor, or the
fan sending the grass to the collector, or the drive wheels. As it is the
one motor driving all of these, I would say that a jam, being some foreign
object or a bearing, would stop the motor dead and make it solid.

If you are mechanical, see if you can check out each bit on its own for
movement by disconnecting other bits.

THAT, is the limit of my knowledge, sorry :-((

Please come back and tell us what the problem was when you get it running
again :-)

Mike

Old 21-06-2009, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"'Mike'" wrote in message

.
"'Mike'" wrote in message

.
"Adders21" wrote in message

"'Mike'[_4_ Wrote:
;851978"]--
..
"Adders21" wrote in message
...-

[...]

For your interest, when I had a large piece of land in Leicester, I had a
http://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/mo...76-atcorot.htm 'somewhat' much
more basic than yours, which took bramble and lots of nasties down to
eventual grass where I grazed horses!! Now two blocks of flats on it.

Mike

Old 21-06-2009, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sounds very like spanner time Ian.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 22-06-2009, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message

Sounds very like spanner time Ian.

--

Rather like my rideon what suddenly refused to start last weekend.
Fortunately - I had completed the cutting apart from the last pass.

It is with paid spannerman as we speak (:----(

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com