Old 19-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Registered User

Default Paper pot maker

At he begining of the year a friend showed me a wooden paper pot maker that she had bought for her mother. The idea was that as I do a bit of wood turning I could make one for myself and one for her. So I did. In fact I also made a slightly bigger one and a smaller one.
I had tried using peat pots and I wasn't very impressed as they seemed to retain the roots inside rather than let them grow through. It was a completely different story with the paper pots. I tend to use them now instead of plastic pots , and transplanting has been made a lot easier and minimal root damage.
I have found that the smallest one that I made was ideal for growing single seeds as there was no root damage caused by pricking out, and allowed the plant to grow on with minimal hold back on growth. The bigger ones I use for bigger seeds.
I recently planted some lettuce seeds (3 - 4) in some bigger ones. I was being lazy and not wanting to make some smaller pots. Those that were left after transplanting I left to grow on in the greenhouse in their pots, and it suddenly struck me that they are ideal for making small leaf salads I am now trying other varieties of suitable greens.
I know that some people use grass bottles to make the pots but usually use a paste to stick the base down - then have to wait for it dry. No such problem with this system.
I thought it might be of interest to some of you, and I hope I havent bored too many people.
Bigal
Old 20-06-2009, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Bigal

Interesting one Bigal,
This is something i thought about, but didnt think it was worth forking out
ten quid or so for the ready made one in case it didnt work.
I was thinking the bottom of the paper pot would not be very stable.
So are there any tricks in the esign and making i should know before I try
to mke one?

John

Old 20-06-2009, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bigal" wrote in message

[...]

You don't even have to fork out to buy one.

An aerosol spray can is ideal and no, you don't have to use anything to
stick the bases down as they just fold in nicely. It's what I've done this
year.

Old 20-06-2009, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

John T wrote:
"Bigal" wrote in message

[...]

I am also very interested in this. Bigal mentioned using a bottle and
pasting the paper. Since I have no knowledge of how this works, does one
not have to use paste using other methods? Is there some special way of
folding?

Old 20-06-2009, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

Interesting one Bigal,
This is something i thought about, but didnt think it was worth
forking out ten quid or so for the ready made one in case it didnt
work. I was thinking the bottom of the paper pot would not be very
stable. So are there any tricks in the esign and making i should know
before I try to mke one?

I am also very interested in this. Bigal mentioned using a bottle and
pasting the paper. Since I have no knowledge of how this works, does one
not have to use paste using other methods? Is there some special way of
folding?

Take one aerosol spray can (polish, fly spray, air freshener.. whatever thay
are about the same diameter).

If you are using say, old yellow pages, take two sheets of phone directory.
Fold lengthways, but not exactly in half - leave about 1.5 centimetres
extending at one side.

Roll the folded sheets around the aerosol with the 1.5cm extending below the
base of the aerosol. I find it easiest if the paper is flat and I just place
the aerosol on it & roll that way.

Fold the 1.5cm paper extension tightly and up under the base of the aerosol
can. Tap this on to a firm surface and this is enough to form and keep
folded in what is the base of the pot. No pasting needed.

Slide paper pot off aerosol can and voila - little paper pot. Also this size
happens to be fortuitous as 24 of the pots fit neatly in a standard seed
tray.

Very useful for those of us who have failed at gardening in the past at the
stage where seedlings need to be pricked out and potted on due to natural
cack-handedness thus killing off many a seedling. Using the paper pots means
1 -2 seeds to a pot and no pricking out - just put entire paper pot and
seedling into new pot, final site etc. The pot gradually rots down.

Some pictures to illustrate mine:-

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...s001270309.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...s002270309.jpg

Hope this helps

Old 20-06-2009, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wafflycat wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message

[...]

Oh YES!!! It most certainly does))) Many, many thanks!!!

Old 20-06-2009, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message
wafflycat wrote:

snippity..

Hope this helps

Oh YES!!! It most certainly does))) Many, many thanks!!!

You're very welcome.

Old 20-06-2009, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"Bigal" wrote in message

[...]

Do they stay together for a couple of waterings? I'm thinking the toilet
roll tubes might be better. We're going to keep a bin bag full of these in
the loft ready for next spring.

Steve

Old 20-06-2009, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

Do they stay together for a couple of waterings? I'm thinking the toilet
roll tubes might be better. We're going to keep a bin bag full of these in
the loft ready for next spring.

Steve

They stay together a lot longer than a couple of waterings. They stay
together long enough to see the seed germinate and the seedling develop
until it's ready to go out to its final planting site. I also used some loo
rolls but found they were more prone to develop various fungi. Didn't seem
to harm the plants though.

Old 20-06-2009, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

You beat me too it Waffly. That is exactly how I make mine...aerosol can
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 20-06-2009, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wafflycat wrote:
"shazzbat" wrote in message

Do they stay together for a couple of waterings? I'm thinking the
toilet roll tubes might be better. We're going to keep a bin bag
full of these in the loft ready for next spring.

Steve

They stay together a lot longer than a couple of waterings. They stay
together long enough to see the seed germinate and the seedling
develop until it's ready to go out to its final planting site. I also
used some loo rolls but found they were more prone to develop various
fungi. Didn't seem to harm the plants though.

Likewise, and tubes tend to start to unravel. Also, how many people use that
many loo rolls for a seasons planting?
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 20-06-2009, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Pete C" wrote in message

wafflycat wrote:
"shazzbat" wrote in message

Do they stay together for a couple of waterings? I'm thinking the
toilet roll tubes might be better. We're going to keep a bin bag
full of these in the loft ready for next spring.

Steve

They stay together a lot longer than a couple of waterings. They stay
together long enough to see the seed germinate and the seedling
develop until it's ready to go out to its final planting site. I also
used some loo rolls but found they were more prone to develop various
fungi. Didn't seem to harm the plants though.

Likewise, and tubes tend to start to unravel. Also, how many people use
that many loo rolls for a seasons planting?
--
Pete C
London UK

People with hotels?

;-))

Was my daughter, but the hotel has been sold and she only has Mews Cottages
to rent now

Mike

Old 20-06-2009, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message

wafflycat wrote:
"shazzbat" wrote in message

Do they stay together for a couple of waterings? I'm thinking the
toilet roll tubes might be better. We're going to keep a bin bag
full of these in the loft ready for next spring.

Steve

They stay together a lot longer than a couple of waterings. They stay
together long enough to see the seed germinate and the seedling
develop until it's ready to go out to its final planting site. I also
used some loo rolls but found they were more prone to develop various
fungi. Didn't seem to harm the plants though.

Likewise, and tubes tend to start to unravel. Also, how many people use
that many loo rolls for a seasons planting?

If you're getting your five-a-day that's a fair bit of fibre in the diet...

Old 20-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Registered User

The nice thing is that the roots grow through the paper very easily and make transplanting a sure thing. You actually have aabout three or four layers of paper. You can make it thicker if you want but completely unnecessasry. When making them you need to averlap by about an inch and fold this over the base. The bought ones are designed to comprss the base and hold it more firmly. It is this size which I think will make ideal little post for growing a range of plants for baby leaf salads. They could easily be grown on a windowsill.