Old 22-06-2009, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any Walnutters out there?

When I left my last house one of the neighbours was so glad to see me
go that he gave me a seedling walnut tree.It was a little chap about
six inches high. Now it has grown a bit (about 30 feet) and is covered
in walnuts. What I would like to know is how to get the nuts from
little gree plums on the tree to ripe walnuts that we can eat.

In the last two years they have all disappeared somewhere between the
two events! Do I blame my little "friends" the grey squirrels again?
Old 22-06-2009, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"moghouse" wrote in message
When I left my last house one of the neighbours was so glad to see me
go that he gave me a seedling walnut tree.It was a little chap about
six inches high. Now it has grown a bit (about 30 feet) and is covered
in walnuts. What I would like to know is how to get the nuts from
little gree plums on the tree to ripe walnuts that we can eat.

In the last two years they have all disappeared somewhere between the
two events! Do I blame my little "friends" the grey squirrels again?

Dunno :-((

We didn't succeed on the Walnut tree we had in our garden on Leicester.

Nobody else did after we left either, because there are now two blocks of
flats on the land.

Mike

Old 22-06-2009, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

moghouse wrote:
When I left my last house one of the neighbours was so glad to see me
go that he gave me a seedling walnut tree.It was a little chap about
six inches high. Now it has grown a bit (about 30 feet) and is covered
in walnuts. What I would like to know is how to get the nuts from
little gree plums on the tree to ripe walnuts that we can eat.

In the last two years they have all disappeared somewhere between the
two events! Do I blame my little "friends" the grey squirrels again?

Most of our walnuts disappear too. One of the culprits seems to be
crows. They seem to like them semi-ripe when still green. Presumably
they are ripe enough for them to enjoy but soft enough to peck.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 22-06-2009, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"moghouse" wrote ...
When I left my last house one of the neighbours was so glad to see me
go that he gave me a seedling walnut tree.It was a little chap about
six inches high. Now it has grown a bit (about 30 feet) and is covered
in walnuts. What I would like to know is how to get the nuts from
little gree plums on the tree to ripe walnuts that we can eat.

In the last two years they have all disappeared somewhere between the
two events! Do I blame my little "friends" the grey squirrels again?

Without a doubt, and they will plant them all around so you and your
neighbours will have lots of little Walnut trees every year.
Old chap next door used to trap the squirrels and ......... Still didn't
succeed in getting many nuts to full size.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-06-2009, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
moghouse writes

When I left my last house one of the neighbours was so glad to see me
go that he gave me a seedling walnut tree.It was a little chap about
six inches high. Now it has grown a bit (about 30 feet) and is covered
in walnuts. What I would like to know is how to get the nuts from
little gree plums on the tree to ripe walnuts that we can eat.

In the last two years they have all disappeared somewhere between the
two events! Do I blame my little "friends" the grey squirrels again?

It is thanks to *my* friends the little grey squirrels that I have a
seedling walnut tree which I have just brought over to France, so don't
knock our furry friends.

Er, yes I think you probably can blame them.

David

--
David Rance
writing from my netbook in Le Mesnil Villement (14)

Old 22-06-2009, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

moghouse writes:

When I left my last house one of the neighbours was so glad to see me
go that he gave me a seedling walnut tree.It was a little chap about
six inches high. Now it has grown a bit (about 30 feet) and is covered
in walnuts. What I would like to know is how to get the nuts from
little gree plums on the tree to ripe walnuts that we can eat.

The squirrels bring me fresh walnuts from one of the neighbours
tree. I generally make a couple of slits in the green down as far as
the hard shell (if there isn't a hard shell yet then look up recipes
for pickled walnuts instead) inside, then leave them to dry out. Once
they're dry the fruit will peel off, leaving you with the familiar
nuts.

Wear thin gloves. As mentioned in all the best fairy tales where the
princess needs to disguise herself as a peasant girl, walnut juice is
a very persistent brown stain.

Anthony

Old 22-06-2009, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

moghouse wrote:
When I left my last house one of the neighbours was so glad to see me
go that he gave me a seedling walnut tree.It was a little chap about
six inches high. Now it has grown a bit (about 30 feet) and is covered
in walnuts. What I would like to know is how to get the nuts from
little gree plums on the tree to ripe walnuts that we can eat.

In the last two years they have all disappeared somewhere between the
two events! Do I blame my little "friends" the grey squirrels again?

You could always make pickled walnuts from the green ones.

--
Jeff

Old 22-06-2009, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

When I left my last house one of the neighbours was so glad to see me
go that he gave me a seedling walnut tree.It was a little chap about
six inches high. Now it has grown a bit (about 30 feet) and is covered
in walnuts. What I would like to know is how to get the nuts from
little gree plums on the tree to ripe walnuts that we can eat.

How long has it taken to get to fruiting size?
--
Kay
Old 22-06-2009, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
K wrote:

When I left my last house one of the neighbours was so glad to see me
go that he gave me a seedling walnut tree.It was a little chap about
six inches high. Now it has grown a bit (about 30 feet) and is covered
in walnuts. What I would like to know is how to get the nuts from
little gree plums on the tree to ripe walnuts that we can eat.

How long has it taken to get to fruiting size?

10-15 years, ignoring the occasional nut on smaller trees.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-06-2009, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 22, 9:19*pm, wrote:

How long has it taken to get to fruiting size?

10-15 years, ignoring the occasional nut on smaller trees.

It is now 19 years old (last birthday), but it has had some nuts on
for a few years now, but never as many as this year.

What a strange fruiting year it is, my Victoria plum is so burdened
with fruit it may collapse but on several varieties of apple there are
scarcely any fruit to be seen. Even the reliable regulars seem to be
having a rest.

Old 23-06-2009, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 15:05:53 -0700 (PDT), moghouse

wrote:

On Jun 22, 9:19*pm, wrote:

How long has it taken to get to fruiting size?

10-15 years, ignoring the occasional nut on smaller trees.

It is now 19 years old (last birthday), but it has had some nuts on
for a few years now, but never as many as this year.

What a strange fruiting year it is, my Victoria plum is so burdened
with fruit it may collapse but on several varieties of apple there are
scarcely any fruit to be seen.

Plenty on the apple tee next door, sadly nothing will eat the things. Even the
green parakeets gave up.

Even the reliable regulars seem to be
having a rest.

It's a very good year for roses too, but our geraniums are not doing very well.

Neither are ours. Large leaves but no flowers. I thought it was just
me.
--
June Hughes
Old 23-06-2009, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 23, 11:15*am, Martin wrote:

No, it looks like it is both of us. )

Sadly I must join the Naff-Geranium Club. I usually set seed
(collected from my own plants) soon after Christmas. The geraniums
from seed are always much slower to flower than those from cuttings or
plants saved from last year. This year's crop are healthy and strong
but not a sign of a flower yet.
Old 23-06-2009, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
moghouse writes
On Jun 23, 11:15*am, Martin wrote:

No, it looks like it is both of us. )

Sadly I must join the Naff-Geranium Club. I usually set seed
(collected from my own plants) soon after Christmas. The geraniums
from seed are always much slower to flower than those from cuttings or
plants saved from last year. This year's crop are healthy and strong
but not a sign of a flower yet.

That is very strange. I have never had a problem in previous years but
this year's plants are all from a different garden centre than usual.
The foliage is lovely but no flowers at all yet. I generally manage to
keep a few plants over winter and take cuttings, so I don't buy many
seedlings but last winter I had a bit of a disaster with them and
couldn't keep any.
--
June Hughes

Old 23-06-2009, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 03:25:15 -0700 (PDT), moghouse

wrote:

On Jun 23, 11:15*am, Martin wrote:

No, it looks like it is both of us. )

Sadly I must join the Naff-Geranium Club. I usually set seed
(collected from my own plants) soon after Christmas. The geraniums
from seed are always much slower to flower than those from cuttings or
plants saved from last year. This year's crop are healthy and strong
but not a sign of a flower yet.

We keep our geraniums in the house during the winter, now that I don't have an
over heated office for them. The geranium that we have had for about a decade
has just started to produce flower buds. The smaller ones have been in flower
for some weeks.

That's what I used to do but didn't last winter. They last for years.
(Actually, I have just thought of something - I am really talking about
pelargoniums - sorry if everyone else meant 'real' geraniums ie the
pink-flowering ones with dark pointy leaves, not the hairy-leaved plants
that I keep. If they did, I have been wasting your time. Apols).
--
June Hughes
Old 23-06-2009, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 23, 11:30*am, Martin wrote:
We keep our geraniums in the house during the winter, now that I don't have an
over heated office for them. The geranium that we have had for about a decade
has just started to produce flower buds. The smaller ones have been in flower
for some weeks.

We have a shallow, south facing bed against the house that has had
geraniums in it for the past five years. Because it is sheltered and
heated from the house the geraniums there survive the winter and, in
fact, have at least some flowers on all through the year. They start
sprouting new growth and new flowers in April. This year I decided
they were getting too woody and cleared them all out. Wrong!