Old 24-06-2009, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default heat

Good grief.. the amount of watering I'm having to do to the tomato plants in
the greenhouse is astounding. They are taking up litre after litre after
litre of watering... Even after a morning, mid-morning and lunchtime
watering, I've noticed a couple of the plants wilting in the heat and the
compost drying rapidly. And this is with doors open wide with a cooling
through breeze.

Old 24-06-2009, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"wafflycat" wrote:
Good grief.. the amount of watering I'm having to do to the tomato plants
in the greenhouse is astounding. They are taking up litre after litre
after litre of watering... Even after a morning, mid-morning and lunchtime
watering, I've noticed a couple of the plants wilting in the heat and the
compost drying rapidly. And this is with doors open wide with a cooling
through breeze.

---
Touché! I have been advised not to give my tomato plants, which are potted
up outdoors, too much water, for fear of eventual fruit split.
What does the team think?

MD

Old 24-06-2009, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Derby" wrote in message

"wafflycat" wrote:
Good grief.. the amount of watering I'm having to do to the tomato plants
in the greenhouse is astounding. They are taking up litre after litre
after litre of watering... Even after a morning, mid-morning and
lunchtime
watering, I've noticed a couple of the plants wilting in the heat and the
compost drying rapidly. And this is with doors open wide with a cooling
through breeze.

---
Touché! I have been advised not to give my tomato plants, which are potted
up outdoors, too much water, for fear of eventual fruit split.
What does the team think?

MD

If the plant is wilting then it NEEDS water or it will quickly die.

Old 24-06-2009, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wafflycat wrote:
Good grief.. the amount of watering I'm having to do

I've just rigged up the water pump to the well via two electrical
extension leads joined end to end and two hosepipes joined end to end.
The water butt is nearly empty, so I'm topping that up at the moment.
After that the vegetable garden will get a good soaking.

Its a scorcher here today in Normandy. I don't want the onions to dry
out too much or they will tend to run to seed. Only light rain forecast
in a few days time but I'll believe it when I see it.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 24-06-2009, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mike Derby
writes

"wafflycat" wrote:
Good grief.. the amount of watering I'm having to do to the tomato plants
in the greenhouse is astounding. They are taking up litre after litre
after litre of watering... Even after a morning, mid-morning and lunchtime
watering, I've noticed a couple of the plants wilting in the heat and the
compost drying rapidly. And this is with doors open wide with a cooling
through breeze.

---
Touché! I have been advised not to give my tomato plants, which are potted
up outdoors, too much water, for fear of eventual fruit split.
What does the team think?

MD

I'm a relative amateur at tomato growing, but I understood that uneven
watering was the cause of bottom end blight, or splitting.

That is - if you alternately starve them and then drown them, they will
split. BICBW.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 24-06-2009, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:25:18 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

I'm a relative amateur at tomato growing, but I understood that uneven
watering was the cause of bottom end blight, or splitting.

That is - if you alternately starve them and then drown them, they will
split. BICBW.

The Dutch green houses are all white washed at this time of year.

I'm not going to white wash my back bedroom window!
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 25-06-2009, 12:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jbm jbm is offline

"wafflycat" wrote in message
| Good grief.. the amount of watering I'm having to do to the tomato plants
in
| the greenhouse is astounding. They are taking up litre after litre after
| litre of watering... Even after a morning, mid-morning and lunchtime
| watering, I've noticed a couple of the plants wilting in the heat and the
| compost drying rapidly. And this is with doors open wide with a cooling
| through breeze.

Oh dear. Out comes the sun, and someone's not happy! :-)

Don't worry, though. With Wimbledon AND Glastonbury happening, it's bound to
be thunder storms over the weekend, with severe flash flooding where it's
not needed. Never fails.

jim, Northampton

Old 25-06-2009, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 24, 3:29*pm, "wafflycat"
wrote:
Good grief.. the amount of watering I'm having to do to the tomato plants in
the greenhouse is astounding. They are taking up litre after litre after
litre of watering...

That explains everything. Mine only drink pints. Next year grow
British tomatoes!

Suggest you try more shading.
Old 25-06-2009, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 00:58:44 +0100, jbm wrote:

And this is with doors open wide with a cooling through breeze.

Reducing the humidity and enabling more evaporation from the soil and
respiration from the plants. Which is the biggest danger? High temp
in a less well ventilated greenhouse or lack of suffcient water?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 25-06-2009, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"moghouse" wrote in message
On Jun 24, 3:29 pm, "wafflycat"
wrote:
Good grief.. the amount of watering I'm having to do to the tomato plants
in
the greenhouse is astounding. They are taking up litre after litre after

litre of watering...

That explains everything. Mine only drink pints. Next year grow
British tomatoes!

Suggest you try more shading.

Shading not possible as what is my greenhouse is effectively part of the
house and I'm not going to be whitewashing windows. I'm just making sure
that the plants are checked regularly and the compost not allowed to dry
out.

Old 25-06-2009, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 25, 9:34*am, "wafflycat"
wrote:

Suggest you try more shading.

Shading not possible as what is my greenhouse is effectively part of the
house and I'm not going to be whitewashing windows. I'm just making sure
that the plants are checked regularly and the compost not allowed to dry
out.

I used to work in a large art studio with one wall almost entirely
glass.If left alone the heat and brightness was intolerable in the
summer so we used to stick large sheets of thin white paper over the
windows and that did the trick.
Old 25-06-2009, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 25 June, 11:58, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 03:32:04 -0700 (PDT), moghouse
wrote:

On Jun 25, 9:34*am, "wafflycat"
wrote:

Suggest you try more shading.

Shading not possible as what is my greenhouse is effectively part of the
house and I'm not going to be whitewashing windows. I'm just making sure
that the plants are checked regularly and the compost not allowed to dry
out.

I used to work in a large art studio with one wall almost entirely
glass.If left alone the heat and brightness was intolerable in the
summer so we used to stick large sheets of thin white paper over the
windows and that did the trick.

Wasn't it a bit chilly posing nude?
--

Martin

I was taught that a 6ft tomato plant in a well ventilated glasshouse
on a sunny day required at least 8 pints of water a day.
David Hill
Old 25-06-2009, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 25, 11:58*am, Martin wrote:

I used to work in a large art studio with one wall almost entirely
glass.If left alone the heat and brightness was intolerable in the
summer so we used to stick large sheets of thin white paper over the
windows and that did the trick.

Wasn't it a bit chilly posing nude?

What? For a descendant of Scott of the Antarctic! I've just thought
perhaps the paper blinds were to preserve my modesty!
Old 25-06-2009, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 05:23:20 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

I was taught that a 6ft tomato plant in a well ventilated glasshouse
on a sunny day required at least 8 pints of water a day.

Spray them over last thing at night with a light misting of water
(well after the sun has gone down)

It's supposed to aid fruit pollination/setting as well, although I've
never found it necessary for that reason alone.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
Old 25-06-2009, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes

wrote:

I'm a relative amateur at tomato growing, but I understood that uneven
watering was the cause of bottom end blight, or splitting.

That is - if you alternately starve them and then drown them, they will
split. BICBW.

The Dutch green houses are all white washed at this time of year.

I'm not going to white wash my back bedroom window!

In that case you need curtains

I have curtains, and net curtains, but I know what you mean.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply