Old 24-06-2009, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default plastic plant pots - surplus

I have just thought of an idea for all those plastic plant pots we were
discussing recently. I have bought several huge plant pots (about 30"
high) and have made drainage holes in the bottom. If you put the black
plastic pots you don't want in twos (for stability), upside down in the
bottom of the container, perhaps they will serve for drainage. I
normally use crocks, so unless the compost squashes the pots flat, it
should be OK and the drainage should be good, as all the small pots have
small drainage holes in the bottom. It takes about 12 small pots to do
each large one. It may be a duff idea but I shall let you know how it
goes. They may require surrounding with gravel for extra drainage?
--
June Hughes
Old 24-06-2009, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , June Hughes
writes
I have just thought of an idea for all those plastic plant pots we were
discussing recently. I have bought several huge plant pots (about 30"
high) and have made drainage holes in the bottom. If you put the black
plastic pots you don't want in twos (for stability), upside down in the
bottom of the container, perhaps they will serve for drainage. I
normally use crocks, so unless the compost squashes the pots flat, it
should be OK and the drainage should be good, as all the small pots
have small drainage holes in the bottom. It takes about 12 small pots
to do each large one. It may be a duff idea but I shall let you know
how it goes. They may require surrounding with gravel for extra drainage?

Sorry to follow my own post. I have just remembered, someone here once
suggested collecting wine corks and using them in plant-pots. Unless
you cut them up, they are a little large for smaller post and I have a
collection in my greenhouse. I shall use them instead of gravel. I'm
rather excited about this and hope it works. (Sad bat
--
June Hughes
Old 24-06-2009, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
| In message , June Hughes
| writes
| I have just thought of an idea for all those plastic plant pots we were
| discussing recently. I have bought several huge plant pots (about 30"
| high) and have made drainage holes in the bottom. If you put the black
| plastic pots you don't want in twos (for stability), upside down in the
| bottom of the container, perhaps they will serve for drainage. I
| normally use crocks, so unless the compost squashes the pots flat, it
| should be OK and the drainage should be good, as all the small pots
| have small drainage holes in the bottom. It takes about 12 small pots
| to do each large one. It may be a duff idea but I shall let you know
| how it goes. They may require surrounding with gravel for extra drainage?
|
| Sorry to follow my own post. I have just remembered, someone here once
| suggested collecting wine corks and using them in plant-pots. Unless
| you cut them up, they are a little large for smaller post and I have a
| collection in my greenhouse. I shall use them instead of gravel. I'm
| rather excited about this and hope it works. (Sad bat
| --
| June Hughes

Plastic bottle tops are good too

Old 25-06-2009, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Angela
writes

"June Hughes" wrote in message
| In message , June Hughes
| writes
| I have just thought of an idea for all those plastic plant pots we were
| discussing recently. I have bought several huge plant pots (about 30"
| high) and have made drainage holes in the bottom. If you put the black
| plastic pots you don't want in twos (for stability), upside down in the
| bottom of the container, perhaps they will serve for drainage. I
| normally use crocks, so unless the compost squashes the pots flat, it
| should be OK and the drainage should be good, as all the small pots
| have small drainage holes in the bottom. It takes about 12 small pots
| to do each large one. It may be a duff idea but I shall let you know
| how it goes. They may require surrounding with gravel for extra drainage?
|
| Sorry to follow my own post. I have just remembered, someone here once
| suggested collecting wine corks and using them in plant-pots. Unless
| you cut them up, they are a little large for smaller post and I have a
| collection in my greenhouse. I shall use them instead of gravel. I'm
| rather excited about this and hope it works. (Sad bat
| --
| June Hughes

Plastic bottle tops are good too

Ah yes. Thanks. I use a lot of plastic milk bottles but re-use them
for something else.
--
June Hughes

GÃœRTAN PLASTIC - PLASTIC CRATES,PALLETS and ALL TYPE OF PLASTIC PRODUCTS [email protected] Edible Gardening 0 05-06-2007 08:11 AM
I've got a surplus of Walnut trees again? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 12 02-08-2006 11:32 PM
Surplus pots... Jim United Kingdom 9 14-10-2003 01:02 PM
Surplus pea query Paul England United Kingdom 3 18-07-2003 10:27 PM
surplus tech gear mhagen alt.forestry 19 13-03-2003 03:08 AM