Old 25-06-2009, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rain!

I've spent all afternoon watering the vegetable garden. Weather forecast
said "possibility of light rain this evening", so I thought I'd better
water it since the ground was bone dry. I'd just finished when a big
black cloud came over and dropped an inch of rain over twenty minutes
accompanied with enough sparks in the sky to run a power station. Such
is life. I've never seen it rain so hard. It has even washed a rut in my
gravel drive which became a temporary stream.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 25-06-2009, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
I've spent all afternoon watering the vegetable garden. Weather forecast
said "possibility of light rain this evening", so I thought I'd better
water it since the ground was bone dry. I'd just finished when a big black
cloud came over and dropped an inch of rain over twenty minutes
accompanied with enough sparks in the sky to run a power station. Such is
life. I've never seen it rain so hard. It has even washed a rut in my
gravel drive which became a temporary stream.

All the fault of Glastonbury... It'll be heading that way now I would
imagine ;-)

Old 25-06-2009, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David in Normandy
writes
I've spent all afternoon watering the vegetable garden. Weather
forecast said "possibility of light rain this evening", so I thought
I'd better water it since the ground was bone dry. I'd just finished
when a big black cloud came over and dropped an inch of rain over
twenty minutes accompanied with enough sparks in the sky to run a power
station. Such is life. I've never seen it rain so hard. It has even
washed a rut in my gravel drive which became a temporary stream.

Looks like it's heading our way. We're about 25 miles S. of Glastonbury
so it's a cert :-))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Deepest Doraet
Old 25-06-2009, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wafflycat wrote:

All the fault of Glastonbury... It'll be heading that way now I would
imagine ;-)

The rain and lightning were amazing to watch. I stood in the porch
watching the storm. Just when I thought it couldn't rain any harder it
did just that - so hard the guttering couldn't cope any more and water
was spewing straight off the roof onto the ground below!

I only just watered the garden in time before the storm ;-)

Only time I've seen it tip down like that before was several years ago
driving through Plymouth. I had to stop the car because I simply could
not see a yard ahead of me despite the wipers running at warp 10 speed.
A few minutes later water was gushing OUT of a man hole like a fountain
three feet high. Unbelievable sight.

Old 25-06-2009, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
I've spent all afternoon watering the vegetable garden. Weather forecast
said "possibility of light rain this evening", so I thought I'd better
water it since the ground was bone dry. I'd just finished when a big
black cloud came over and dropped an inch of rain over twenty minutes
accompanied with enough sparks in the sky to run a power station. Such is
life. I've never seen it rain so hard. It has even washed a rut in my
gravel drive which became a temporary stream.

All the fault of Glastonbury... It'll be heading that way now I would
imagine ;-)

Did you hear the weather forecast just before 1pm on Radio 4 today?
Tomasz Schafernaker made an unfortunate slip of the tongue when talking
about how muddy Glasto could be following the rain

Old 26-06-2009, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote ...
I've spent all afternoon watering the vegetable garden. Weather forecast
said "possibility of light rain this evening", so I thought I'd better
water it since the ground was bone dry. I'd just finished when a big black
cloud came over and dropped an inch of rain over twenty minutes
accompanied with enough sparks in the sky to run a power station. Such is
life. I've never seen it rain so hard. It has even washed a rut in my
gravel drive which became a temporary stream.

We have just had a few minutes light rain this morning, enough to just lay
the dust and damp the stray cat that lives under our bbq and now the sun is
out again. So it's watering as usual today.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-06-2009, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"OG" wrote in message

Did you hear the weather forecast just before 1pm on Radio 4 today?
Tomasz Schafernaker made an unfortunate slip of the tongue when talking
about how muddy Glasto could be following the rain

Yes.. TeeHee It was played on the Radio 4 evening news.

Old 26-06-2009, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"David in Normandy" wrote ...
I've spent all afternoon watering the vegetable garden. Weather forecast
said "possibility of light rain this evening", so I thought I'd better
water it since the ground was bone dry. I'd just finished when a big black
cloud came over and dropped an inch of rain over twenty minutes
accompanied with enough sparks in the sky to run a power station. Such is
life. I've never seen it rain so hard. It has even washed a rut in my
gravel drive which became a temporary stream.

We have just had a few minutes light rain this morning, enough to just lay
the dust and damp the stray cat that lives under our bbq and now the sun is
out again. So it's watering as usual today.

Go West young man! Plenty here.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Deepest Dorset
Old 26-06-2009, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

OG wrote:

Did you hear the weather forecast just before 1pm on Radio 4 today?
Tomasz Schafernaker made an unfortunate slip of the tongue when
talking about how muddy Glasto could be following the rain

LOL I certainly did)

Old 26-06-2009, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gopher" wrote...
after Bob Hobden moaned
"David in Normandy" wrote ...
I've spent all afternoon watering the vegetable garden. Weather forecast
said "possibility of light rain this evening", so I thought I'd better
water it since the ground was bone dry. I'd just finished when a big
black
cloud came over and dropped an inch of rain over twenty minutes
accompanied with enough sparks in the sky to run a power station. Such
is
life. I've never seen it rain so hard. It has even washed a rut in my
gravel drive which became a temporary stream.

We have just had a few minutes light rain this morning, enough to just lay
the dust and damp the stray cat that lives under our bbq and now the sun
is
out again. So it's watering as usual today.

Go West young man! Plenty here.

Not a further drop all day, been out on the allotment this afternoon
planting young winter/spring brassicas and the ground is bone dry, have to
dig down 6 inches at least to see any sign of moisture. Wish I'd taken a hat
it was so warm.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden