Old 29-06-2009, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Apples....

Last year one of my two trees had no apples and had mildewey tips.
Garden Centre recommended dithane and it's had a regular dose. But
this year likewise, mildewey ends, no blossom, no apples. I've chopped
it down to about a 2 foot stump (if you don't pay rent you get out of
my garden!). So, it it likely thet it will grow good now, or should I
take a short cut and yank up the roots now rather than later? The
other apple is well laden with fruit btw
Thanks
Old 29-06-2009, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

NogbadtheCool writes
Last year one of my two trees had no apples and had mildewey tips.
Garden Centre recommended dithane and it's had a regular dose. But
this year likewise, mildewey ends,

Mildew is more of a problem if the apples aren't getting enough water.

no blossom,

That's an earlier problem, doubt id it's associated with the mildew.

Are you pruning it correctly? Have you got knobbly fruiting spurs as
well as smooth non-fruiting shoots? We'd be able to give better advice
if we had more info, eg size and age of tree and variety.

no apples. I've chopped
it down to about a 2 foot stump (if you don't pay rent you get out of
my garden!)

That's a bit drastic!

. So, it it likely thet it will grow good now, or should I
take a short cut and yank up the roots now rather than later?

It'll probably take a year or two to start producing fruiting shoots
again.

The
other apple is well laden with fruit btw

If it's *too* laden, wait till after the 'June drop' (dry summer period
when the tree naturally sheds some of the developing fruit) and if
necessary thin a bit more. If it has too much fruit in one year, it may
exhaust itself and not have any apples next year - and if you're down to
one tree you can't afford that!

--
Kay
Old 29-06-2009, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"NogbadtheCool" wrote
Last year one of my two trees had no apples and had mildewey tips.
Garden Centre recommended dithane and it's had a regular dose. But
this year likewise, mildewey ends, no blossom, no apples. I've chopped
it down to about a 2 foot stump (if you don't pay rent you get out of
my garden!). So, it it likely thet it will grow good now, or should I
take a short cut and yank up the roots now rather than later? The
other apple is well laden with fruit btw

Two problems IMO.
Check the variety, it may be a tip bearer and you are cutting off the fruit
buds when pruning.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 29-06-2009, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Also do not forget it could be the variety, some are more prone than
others.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 29, 7:07*pm, gray wrote:
Also do not forget it could be the variety, some are more prone than
others.

alas I don't know the variety, and I've not been pruning it wrongly,
unless not at all counts as wrongly :-) Both trees where planted
about 5 years ago.

thanks for thoughts all

Apples Bill726 Gardening 1 24-02-2003 05:15 AM
Cox's apples sparky United Kingdom 9 14-01-2003 07:54 PM
Disfigured bramley apples. Johnathan United Kingdom 2 17-11-2002 10:28 AM
Family apples (was Herb usage?) Big Al United Kingdom 1 24-10-2002 06:18 PM
Apples again anton United Kingdom 3 22-10-2002 11:44 PM