Old 16-07-2009, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Killing off algae/moss

I am about to repaint our concrete shed, along the bottom is has some green
growth - algae/moss or some other kind of crap

I had a Dulux masonry paint leaflet and they suggest using their product to
kill off this growth before painting

Any ideas on the cheapest way to do it - and is it only a temporary thing?

Old 17-07-2009, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mo wrote:
I am about to repaint our concrete shed, along the bottom is has some
green growth - algae/moss or some other kind of crap

I had a Dulux masonry paint leaflet and they suggest using their product
to kill off this growth before painting

Any ideas on the cheapest way to do it - and is it only a temporary thing?

High pressure hose will do it. But it will come back if it's a damp area.
Maybe some of the silicone-based water-repellent treatments would help if
painted on the concrete. You'll have to have a look on the tin.

You could always try posting in uk.d-i-y - someone may already have the
answer there.

--
Jeff

Old 20-07-2009, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 16/07/09 23:46, Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
"mo" wrote:

I am about to repaint our concrete shed, along the bottom
it has some green growth - algae/moss or some other kind of crap

I had a Dulux masonry paint leaflet and they suggest using
their product to kill off this growth before painting

Any ideas on the cheapest way to do it - and is it only a temporary thing?

I would scrub it with bleach, but only if I wasn't planning to grow
anything in the soil close to the shed.

Does bleach kill algae/moss?

Old 21-07-2009, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
o.uk...
On 16/07/09 23:46, Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
"mo" wrote:

I am about to repaint our concrete shed, along the bottom it has some
green growth - algae/moss or some other kind of crap

I had a Dulux masonry paint leaflet and they suggest using
their product to kill off this growth before painting

Any ideas on the cheapest way to do it - and is it only a temporary
thing?

I would scrub it with bleach, but only if I wasn't planning to grow
anything in the soil close to the shed.

Does bleach kill algae/moss?

Yes, it does, but if conditions remain favourable for the growth of algae it
will ALWAYS come back again.

Lol

Old 30-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Registered User

I have used a lot of different chemicals to try and kill off moss and algae growth, The best one I have found is MMC Pro, one application kills moss and algae within 6-10 days and keeps it away for a 6 month period.
I would highly recommend this as it's the best solution I have found.
http://www.artificialgrassmaintenanc..._algaecide.htm

Jon the Gardener