Old 25-07-2009, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Japanese Knotweed - piece on BBC Breakfast news 23rd July 2009

On Jul 25, 11:45*am, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 03:28:14 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jul 24, 10:19*pm, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:17:43 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jul 24, 9:25*pm, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 21:00:45 +0100, hugh ] wrote:
In message , Gordon H
writes
In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message , Gordon H
writes

Do these bugs kill the roots of Knotweed, which seem to creep
underground and pop up close by? * * * *At least that is my
perception, BICBW. * * * The warden has to apply for a licence each
year to treat the Knotweed, but it reappears each year in an area
between a pool and the river, and surrounded by Balsam, which has to
be removed first or the Knotweed is hidden. * * *It is a losing battle...

If I understand correctly they eat the stems. If the bugs are
sufficiently effective, this will result in the weakening of the root
system. Over a few years this will lead to the eradication of the
clump. (It's like frequent mowing will control Japanese knotweed..)

Thanks. * *Mowing isn't an option in the particular area, I don't think.
Some of us would like to try scythes on the balsam below the bottom
"knuckle", to at least chop them down and give other growth a chance,
but I think Health & Safety aspects would rule that out. * * *;-)
Why should elf n safety stop you using a recognised garden implement.

Old 25-07-2009, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
[...]

Just wear appropriate PPE. Ah maybe you can't get a certificate in
scything cos nobody is qualified to teach it cos they haven't been
trained by a certified scything trainer and no-one thought to claim
grandfather rights:-)

Using a scythe without training can result in having a leg over.

Being leg less I would have thought :-)
--
hugh

Old 25-07-2009, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 25, 2:30*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 06:04:21 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jul 24, 9:25*pm, Martin wrote:
[...]

? *Leg cut off you mean?

Depends what he is looking for nudge nudge
I'm telling Sacha on you!

Creep!
--

Martin

LOL *(Sticking out tongue).

Martin watching French forest fires on Eurosport. The plane dropping water on
the fire obviously came as a *welcome break to the bored Tour de France
commentators, who were down to making anagrams of competitors names.
--

Martin

I have seen the Canadair dropping water South of here.

Judith
Old 26-07-2009, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Gordon H
writes

Do these bugs kill the roots of Knotweed, which seem to creep
underground and pop up close by?

When they've finished with that they can start on my ground elder.
Please.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 26-07-2009, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 09:24:45 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Gordon H
writes

Do these bugs kill the roots of Knotweed, which seem to creep
underground and pop up close by?

When they've finished with that they can start on my ground elder.
Please.

More likely that they will go for your juicy veg.

The most likely species for them to turn to, I guess, would be Russian
vine. The most closely related native species are the black and copse
bindweeds.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 26-07-2009, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 09:24:45 +0100, Janet Tweedy wrote:

When they've finished with that they can start on my ground elder.
Please.

Spot applied "Roundup" has seen off the ground elder we had. Didn't
have much though only in one end of a 2 x 0.5m bed but it had found
it's way around the end of drystone wall. It also took a year or
three of a couple of applications/year.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 26-07-2009, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 09:24:45 +0100, Janet Tweedy wrote:

When they've finished with that they can start on my ground elder.
Please.

Spot applied "Roundup" has seen off the ground elder we had. Didn't
have much though only in one end of a 2 x 0.5m bed but it had found
it's way around the end of drystone wall. It also took a year or
three of a couple of applications/year.

Eat it! It is apparently quite tasty when cooked, rather like spinach. I had
a friend whose garden was infested with ground elder. He (being half French)
eat it regularly and within 3 years it had all gone!

Phil

Old 30-07-2009, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 09:24:45 +0100, Janet Tweedy wrote:

When they've finished with that they can start on my ground elder.
Please.

Spot applied "Roundup" has seen off the ground elder we had. Didn't
have much though only in one end of a 2 x 0.5m bed but it had found
it's way around the end of drystone wall. It also took a year or
three of a couple of applications/year.

Tried that plus numerous other stuff. Still in the border and under
hedge coming through from next door. Plus in shrubs under a silver birch
tree.
Janet
Old 31-07-2009, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 20:25:17 +0100, Janet Tweedy wrote:

Spot applied "Roundup" has seen off the ground elder we had.

Tried that plus numerous other stuff. Still in the border and under
hedge coming through from next door.

Not getting rid of it next door is the root cause of the problem.
Ours didn't like all (easily accessable) leaves being sprayed once or
twice a year for a year or three. We could get at all of it though.

A four pint rectangular milk bottle with the bottom cut off makes a
nice shroud to keep the spray only on the leaves you want.

--
Cheers
Dave.