Old 03-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
A newspaper
article written at the time says that they ate Cortinarius
speciosissimus which a spokesman for the Association of British Fungus
Groups said they might have mistaken for chanterelles which can grow in
similar locations and can look very similar. The species Cortinarius
is extremely toxic and has caused 'a smattering of cases across Europe
where it was lethal.
It is an important reminder to look at a fungus properly. They really shouldn't have mistaken it. They saw an orangey fungus of about the right size growing in the right kind of place and looked no more carefully. Of course orangey funguses of about the right size growing in the right kind of place nearly always are chanterelles, so perhaps you get lazy about it. But if they had looked at it properly at it, almost everything else is wrong.

I learned very sharply that one should never get lazy like that when I found an albino deathcap (a very rare fungus, by the way). It looks just like a mushroom at a glance, and that was what I thought at a glance. But when you look at it properly, it becomes evident it isn't a mushroom, provided you understand the important features of what distinguishes a mushroom from its deadly poisonous imposters. Those people apparently survived a meal of C speciosissima. You don't normally survive eating even a mouthful of deathcap. That's why, even when you find a patch of one kind of fungus, eg a field full of field mushrooms, you have to look properly at every one you pick, and leave behind the small ones that are too small to identify reliably.