Old 23-07-2009, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mushroom

I'm thinking Chanterelle, but how to be sure?

http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...s/mushroom.JPG

Any experts around here?

thanks,

Lol

Old 23-07-2009, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Lol wrote:
I'm thinking Chanterelle, but how to be sure?

http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...s/mushroom.JPG

Any experts around here?

No way, Jose! Once upon a time, I could have made a few educated
guesses, but I would now have to look up in books. Chanterelle,
it ain't, though.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-07-2009, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
writes
In article ,
Lol wrote:
I'm thinking Chanterelle, but how to be sure?

http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...s/mushroom.JPG

Any experts around here?

No way, Jose! Once upon a time, I could have made a few educated
guesses, but I would now have to look up in books. Chanterelle,
it ain't, though.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

It looks rather big for a Chanterelle (12ish cm across). False
Chanterelle is smaller than the "normal" Chanterelle (and can also be
poisonous to some). July is also a bit early for FC. Pity there are no
pics of the undersides. One of the UK Russulas perhaps? Am sure there
will be an expert along soon to ID it.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 23-07-2009, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Gopher wrote:

It looks rather big for a Chanterelle (12ish cm across). False
Chanterelle is smaller than the "normal" Chanterelle (and can also be
poisonous to some). July is also a bit early for FC. Pity there are no
pics of the undersides. One of the UK Russulas perhaps? Am sure there
will be an expert along soon to ID it.

It's not just too big for both the false and true chanterelle, it's
the wrong colour, the wrong shape and has those flecks on the cap
(which the others don't).

It might be a Russula, but there are half a dozen genera that have
species with caps that look like that. Even an expert won't be able
to do more than guess, based on that picture alone.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-07-2009, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lol" wrote in message
om...
I'm thinking Chanterelle, but how to be sure?

http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...s/mushroom.JPG

Any experts around here?

thanks,

Lol

Wrong size, wrong colour, wrong shape - apart from that just like a
Chanterelle - got it, thanks.

(Think we need one of those guided walks in Epping Forest with a local
society - we did a good one recently that showed how dog poo was destroying
ecology of sparse grasses...here boy, Vetch, Vetch).

Thanks to all,
Lol

Old 24-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol[_5_] View Post
Wrong size, wrong colour, wrong shape - apart from that just like a Chanterelle - got it, thanks. Lol
A key factor in identifying Chanterelles from similar things is their smell - they smell like apricots, which is an unusual smell for a fungus. So probably wrong smell too.

And we couldn't possibly identify it, even from a book, without a clear shot of the underside of the cap. The formation of the gills (or whatever else it has - in fact Chanterelles have "wrinkles" which are not true gills) and stipe (stem or trunk), is frequently key to identifying fungi. In fact I often need to cut the thing in half vertically to get a clear view of these things side on to be sure. But sure as anything it isn't a Chanterelle.
Old 24-07-2009, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Lol wrote:
"Lol" wrote in message
om...
I'm thinking Chanterelle, but how to be sure?

http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...s/mushroom.JPG

Any experts around here?

thanks,

Lol

Wrong size, wrong colour, wrong shape - apart from that just like a
Chanterelle - got it, thanks.

(Think we need one of those guided walks in Epping Forest with a local
society - we did a good one recently that showed how dog poo was destroying
ecology of sparse grasses...here boy, Vetch, Vetch).

Thanks to all,
Lol

Guessing Paxillus involutus, but just a guess of course.

http://mycorance.free.fr/valchamp/champi154.htm

A neighbor claimed to be able to eat nearly a kg before
getting sick, but I'd definitely not try it!

-E
Old 24-07-2009, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-24 11:49:29 +0100, Emery Davis said:

Lol wrote:
"Lol" wrote in message
om...
I'm thinking Chanterelle, but how to be sure?

http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...s/mushroom.JPG

Any experts around here?

thanks,

Lol

Wrong size, wrong colour, wrong shape - apart from that just like a
Chanterelle - got it, thanks.

(Think we need one of those guided walks in Epping Forest with a local
society - we did a good one recently that showed how dog poo was
destroying ecology of sparse grasses...here boy, Vetch, Vetch).

Thanks to all,
Lol

Guessing Paxillus involutus, but just a guess of course.

http://mycorance.free.fr/valchamp/champi154.htm

A neighbor claimed to be able to eat nearly a kg before
getting sick, but I'd definitely not try it!

-E

Just think of what happened to Nicholas Evans & Family and they were
expert fungi pickers!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 24-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post

Indeed not a chanterelle. Cant see what it's growing on, but it looks very much like a small Dryads Saddle: http://willowhousechronicles.files.w...s-saddle-2.jpg

A Good mushroom indentification link: http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/
Old 24-07-2009, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:49:29 +0200, Emery Davis wrote:

[]
A neighbor claimed to be able to eat nearly a kg before
getting sick, but I'd definitely not try it!

You can eat a kg of any fungus. Death comes later.

hehe.

Old 24-07-2009, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
[]
Just think of what happened to Nicholas Evans & Family and they were
expert fungi pickers!

wasn't that the false morel?

http://mycorance.free.fr/valchamp/champi361.htm

I know lots of people who eat these, I've never dared.
Pretty cautious when it comes to the old fungi.

Sorry for the Frenchie pages, I seemed to have lost the
good site, but got it again. Here's the false morel:

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/galle...ydefault.a sp

-E
Old 24-07-2009, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:57:05 +0100, Martin wrote
(in article ):

On 2009-07-24 11:49:29 +0100, Emery Davis said:

Lol wrote:
"Lol" wrote in message
[...]

What did happen to Nicholas Evans and Family, Sacha? I've never heard of

them.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4660269.ece

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

Old 24-07-2009, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-24 11:49:29 +0100, Emery Davis said:

Lol wrote:
"Lol" wrote in message
[...]

Author of The Horse Whisperer, lives in a village near here. Up in
Scotland (IIRC) he and his family gathered mushrooms and ended up on
dialysis and lucky to be alive. I have no idea where or how they are
now. But gathering mushrooms was a regular thing with all of them and
they were said to be 'experts'.

Old 26-07-2009, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

"Lol" wrote in
om:

I'm thinking Chanterelle, but how to be sure?

http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...s/mushroom.JPG

Any experts around here?

Really need
- photos of the underside of the cap
- photos of the complete stem
- where it was growing (soil and nearby vegetation/trees)
- colour of spores

You can always try
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/
but continue to be aware of what you don't know!
Old 03-08-2009, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-24 11:57:05 +0100, Martin said:
snip

Just think of what happened to Nicholas Evans & Family and they were
expert fungi pickers!

What did happen to Nicholas Evans and Family, Sacha? I've never heard of them.

Author of The Horse Whisperer, lives in a village near here. Up in
Scotland (IIRC) he and his family gathered mushrooms and ended up on
dialysis and lucky to be alive. I have no idea where or how they are
now. But gathering mushrooms was a regular thing with all of them and
they were said to be 'experts'.

Sorry to answer my own post but coincidentally there's a very nice
letter from Nicholas Evans in our Parish Magazine this month. He's
thanking people for their kind wishes and prayers. He says that it's
almost a year since they were poisoned and that the first 6 or 7 months
were awful. Since the spring they've started to improve but still have
to do a lot of dialysis and are on the waiting list for kidney
transplants. This was a horrible and shocking thing to happen to them
but please, mushroom pickers, be very, very careful. A newspaper
article written at the time says that they ate Cortinarius
speciosissimus which a spokesman for the Association of British Fungus
Groups said they might have mistaken for chanterelles which can grow in
similar locations and can look very similar. The species Cortinarius
is extremely toxic and has caused 'a smattering of cases across Europe
where it was lethal. The liver is broken down into a pulp'.