Old 02-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Registered User

Default Help identifying these plants?

Hey,

Just wondering if i could get help, as a complete know-nothing on identifying plants, in identifying the 5 different plants in the front garden bed of this photo I found.

The photo was from B&Q, these plants were just in the background of a photo selling a water & sand table. So there wasnt any help on that page for identifying the plants.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5628/plantsp.jpg

any help would be greatly appreciated, because I would love to have a similar arrangement in my front garden.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowanc88 View Post
Hey,

Just wondering if i could get help, as a complete know-nothing on identifying plants, in identifying the 5 different plants in the front garden bed of this photo I found.

The photo was from B&Q, these plants were just in the background of a photo selling a water & sand table. So there wasnt any help on that page for identifying the plants.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5628/plantsp.jpg

any help would be greatly appreciated, because I would love to have a similar arrangement in my front garden.
They are various grasses and sedges. Go to your nearest large garden centre and work through the grasses section. There are a vast variety and some are better than others.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

http://tinyurl.com/m4uw5g

any help would be greatly appreciated, because I would love to have a
similar arrangement in my front garden.

There are some baby cordylines and some grasses
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 03-08-2009, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...

Hey,

Just wondering if i could get help, as a complete know-nothing on
identifying plants, in identifying the 5 different plants in the front
garden bed of this photo I found.

The photo was from B&Q, these plants were just in the background of a
photo selling a water & sand table. So there wasnt any help on that
page for identifying the plants.

http://tinyurl.com/m4uw5g

any help would be greatly appreciated, because I would love to have a
similar arrangement in my front garden.

There are some baby cordylines and some grasses
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

.... and (on the far right) irises and, perhaps (the variegated ones) some
Sisyrinchiums.

Spider

Old 03-08-2009, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote ...
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Just wondering if i could get help, as a complete know-nothing on
identifying plants, in identifying the 5 different plants in the front
garden bed of this photo I found.

The photo was from B&Q, these plants were just in the background of a
photo selling a water & sand table. So there wasnt any help on that
page for identifying the plants.

http://tinyurl.com/m4uw5g

any help would be greatly appreciated, because I would love to have a
similar arrangement in my front garden.

There are some baby cordylines and some grasses

... and (on the far right) irises and, perhaps (the variegated ones) some
Sisyrinchiums.

I thought the green ones near the middle and the variegated ones on the
right looked like Phormiums to me, if so I wouldn't touch them, they get too
big.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Registered User

Location: Edinburgh, Scotland.

the reddish grasses are 'Pheasant grass'. (I think!)
Benji
Old 04-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Registered User

alright.

thanks for all the help. gives me a better idea now
Old 05-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowanc88 View Post
alright.

thanks for all the help. gives me a better idea now
I'm not totally convinced by some of the identifications so far, though we can't be definitive on a photo such as this.

Far left is a grass, probably a Carex or Stipa of some kind. I think pheasant grass (Stipa tenuifolia) has broader leaves, though there are some other Stipa spp with leaves as narrow as that. Strictly speaking, Carex is a sedge, not a grass. These plants will stay fairly small.

For second from the left, we've had phormium and cordyline suggested. Well it isn't phormium, because you can see that two of them have the beginning of a trunk. So it could be a cordyline. But it doesn't look quite right for a bog-standard C australis to me. Maybe its a different Cordyline. But what it said to me at first glance is Yucca filamentosa. But I'm not convinced by that. There are all sorts of plants of similar form, such as those Furcraeas or Beschornerias that are suddenly so fashionable. But the lesson is that you will find quite a few similar-appearing byt different plants with spiky strap-like leaves like that. Best to find out the ultimate appearance though. Phormium will grow 8 feet tall and fill a huge area, though there are some more modest ones, such as P cookianum; Cordyline will extend its trunk considerably and its leaves will be a tuft on top, high but still not a large plant. The Yucca will stay smaller and nearer the ground. Astelia is a good choice, drought resistant, doesn't get huge, though that is definitely not pictured.

Middle one, much as for the first one, probably carex or stipa of some kind.

I have no idea for the 4th one, but whoever said iris could be right.

The last one, well phormium is probably my best guess too, though I'm not totally convinced. If it is Phormium, it is pretty small at the moment, and it was hardly necessary to buy three of them to plant so close, one would soon spread into that area.

Whatever Bob says, I have a mature full size Phormium in my garden, and I like it, and my wife likes it. Its a bit of work as about once a year I have to cut out the dead leaves, which is a bit of job as they rae very tough. But I have a dry soil so it doesn't get as huge as it can other places.