Old 09-08-2009, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New scam which looks genuine

Just received this and I thought 'On a Sunday?'

My Norton chucked it out

"""Dear Customer,

This e-mail has been sent to you by BT Internet to inform you that we were
unable to process your most recent payment of bill. This might be due to
either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information. (eg: billing address,
phone)
2. Submitting incorrect information during bill payment process.

Due to this, to ensure that your service is not interrupted, we request
you to confirm and update your billing information today by clicking here.

If you have already confirmed your billing information then please
disregard this message as we are processing the changes you have made.

Regards,
BT
Billing Department

Thanks for your co-operation""

Hope your safeguards are up to date :-))

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 09-08-2009, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

New? This scam turns up at least once a week and has done for years.
Another Nigerian special!
Old 09-08-2009, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"moghouse" wrote in message
On 9 Aug, 15:30, "'Mike'" wrote:

New? This scam turns up at least once a week and has done for years.
Another Nigerian special!

Sorry. Not seen it before and it looked genuine and from BT.

Keep them to myself next time. Suppose it would have been different if I was
one of the clique

Thanks

Old 09-08-2009, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
"moghouse" wrote in message
On 9 Aug, 15:30, "'Mike'" wrote:

New? This scam turns up at least once a week and has done for years.
Another Nigerian special!

Sorry. Not seen it before and it looked genuine and from BT.

Keep them to myself next time. Suppose it would have been different if I
was one of the clique

Thanks

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

I'm inclined to agree that it's not new, but don't let that put you off.
It's not always easy spotting all the scams out there. I reckon the best
bet if you suspect something is get on the phone to the supplier concerned
using a number you have sourced from somewhere other than the e-mail and
its' associated sites (but then I NEVER click links in suspect mails).

Old 09-08-2009, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
"moghouse" wrote in message
On 9 Aug, 15:30, "'Mike'" wrote:

New? This scam turns up at least once a week and has done for years.
Another Nigerian special!

Sorry. Not seen it before and it looked genuine and from BT.

Keep them to myself next time. Suppose it would have been different if I
was one of the clique

Thanks

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

I'm inclined to agree that it's not new, but don't let that put you off.
It's not always easy spotting all the scams out there. I reckon the best
bet if you suspect something is get on the phone to the supplier concerned
using a number you have sourced from somewhere other than the e-mail and
its' associated sites (but then I NEVER click links in suspect mails).

It doesn't put me off. What DOES amaze me is the terrible clique on this
newsgroup. If you don't belong to the kissy kissy brigade and use it to
contact others quite openly as if you are the only ones here, (where email
would be much better), then you are an outcast!

Old 09-08-2009, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
"moghouse" wrote in message
On 9 Aug, 15:30, "'Mike'" wrote:

[...]

The Royal Naval Electrical Branch Associationwww.rneba.org.uk
Luxury Self Catering on the Isle of Wight?www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

You're been over-sensitive. Moghouse was merely stating fact. I new
about this one too. I'll probably get an email about it in the very
near future from one or two watchful souls who have just heard of it
and want to warn everyone, just as I've received warnings concerning
things that seem like nonsense.

The point is, sometimes, these late warning are about as time wasting
and irritating as spam and usually receiving a reaction equivalent to
the rolling of the eyes whilst muttering something along the lines of
FFS.
Though one would ordinarily avoid addressing such a response directly
to the sender. After all, ... who knows, but one day they might be the
saving of me.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Whilst on the subject of e-mail warnings etc...

I subscribe to Hoax Slayer and get his monthly warnings/comments.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/current-issue.html

his archive of hoax mails is excellent too.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 09-08-2009, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Whilst on the subject of e-mail warnings etc...

I subscribe to Hoax Slayer and get his monthly warnings/comments.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/current-issue.html

his archive of hoax mails is excellent too.

Good site! Thanks, Bob

Old 09-08-2009, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 9, 7:22*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Whilst on the subject of e-mail warnings etc...

I subscribe to Hoax Slayer and get his monthly warnings/comments.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/current-issue.html

his archive of hoax mails is excellent too.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London

Hoax-Slayer Newsletter
Click for your Download.......... heeheehee
Automatically Repair Computer Problems
Scan your system now.............suckers
Send us your bank account details.

(OK, so I made up that last one) (and the "heeheehee", and the
2 ........... and the "suckers"

Yeah, right!
Old 09-08-2009, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Whilst on the subject of e-mail warnings etc...

I subscribe to Hoax Slayer and get his monthly warnings/comments.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/current-issue.html

his archive of hoax mails is excellent too.

Good site! Thanks, Bob

If you are at all suspicious of this sort of mail, hover your mouse
pointer over the link and see where is is pointing. Normally the
addresses used by the scammers are very obvious and easy to spot.
The front pages may look real but the underlying links give the game away.

Bob

Old 09-08-2009, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 9, 5:09*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:

It doesn't put me off. What DOES amaze me is the terrible clique on this
newsgroup. If you don't belong to the kissy kissy brigade and use it to
contact others quite openly as if you are the only ones here, (where email
would be much better), then you are an outcast!

Moghouse a member of a clique? Congratulations Mike, that's the best
joke of the year. As our friend Groucho Marx put it, "I wouldn't join
any clique that would have me for a member".

By the way I know an ex bank manager that got had over by one of these
scams - he still dines out on the story years after the event, rather
like you do on your exclusion from the urg clique!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 9, 9:44*pm, Bob Minchin wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Whilst on the subject of e-mail warnings etc...

I subscribe to Hoax Slayer and get his monthly warnings/comments.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/current-issue.html

his archive of hoax mails is excellent too.

Good site! *Thanks, Bob

If you are at all suspicious of this sort of mail, hover your mouse
pointer over *the link and see where is is pointing.

True, at least also confirmed by what I think was a Sunday morning BBC
programme on electronic stuff.
Most of the links on that site show up as hoax-slayer links, except
that "Click for your download" (googleadds)

Old 09-08-2009, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

Keep them to myself next time. Suppose it would have been different if I was
one of the clique

Probably - now please close the door on your way out.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"aquachimp" wrote ...
Bob Hobden" wrote:
Whilst on the subject of e-mail warnings etc...

I subscribe to Hoax Slayer and get his monthly warnings/comments.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/current-issue.html

his archive of hoax mails is excellent too.

Hoax-Slayer Newsletter
Click for your Download.......... heeheehee
Automatically Repair Computer Problems
Scan your system now.............suckers
Send us your bank account details.

(OK, so I made up that last one) (and the "heeheehee", and the
2 ........... and the "suckers"

If he is going to set up this site and constantly monitor what is going
around by e-mail, investigate them, and provide all that info free he has to
advertise on the site to get some revenue. Simple economics.

If you want the information without adverts I believe you can pay for a
subscription, but as I won't click on anything like that I'm not bothered by
them.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 10-08-2009, 12:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
"moghouse" wrote in message
On 9 Aug, 15:30, "'Mike'" wrote:

New? This scam turns up at least once a week and has done for years.
Another Nigerian special!

Sorry. Not seen it before and it looked genuine and from BT.

Keep them to myself next time. Suppose it would have been different if I was
one of the clique

Maybe if you stopped commenting on how 'clique-ish' you perceive this
this group to be, people would accept you better.

In general, people don't appreciate constantly being told how unfriendly
they are.

Just a thought.