Old 13-08-2009, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Agapanthus seedees....

Link below to my album, you can see the type of white agapanthus you will
hopefully be getting, the one that is in flower is 4 years old, and its its
first flowering. it is in the ground,and the three that were planted in
the ground at the same time, in the same area haven't flowered yet.

In the pot, is the "mother" of the seeds I sent you, I foolishly left it
outside this winter, and the pot cracked, I repotted them both, and whether
or not because of that, it is only small, but has divided as you can see,
there are two plants, the other plant that flowered last year is smaller,
and hasn't divided.

The other plant that I am holding is from the seed of the mother plant, and
looks really healthy, I have hardly any left, as every time I have a visitor
I end up giving them a plant, so I have just 9 left, and am going to put
them in single pots also.

Some other pictures would be nice!

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd322/sheilaformby/

Old 13-08-2009, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 13:08:51 GMT, "Sheila"
wrote:

[...]

If you could see what I can see when I'm cleanin' windows.

Old 13-08-2009, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sheila" wrote in message
news
[...]

Hi Sheila,

That's a lovely agapanthus! I've been wondering what the parent looked
like, so thanks for sharing that. It's going to be even harder now to wait
till I see my own flowers. Your seedlings are somewhat ahead of mine. I
need to pot all mine on now, but must buy some more compost first. Many of
mine are still planted in loose clumps, which is why they are a bit behind
yours, I'm sure. Once they are transplanted and fed, they should catch up.
I also need to blow the dust off my lovely camera and get some pics on the
computer, which I then hope to share on here. I shall also show off some
pics of my new patio project.

I confess you've had rather an expensive effect on me :~). I've become so
fascinated by agapanthus that I've bought three for the garden since
germinating your seeds. I've bought three blue ones on the basis that I
should have quite a few white ones in due course! I do find it frustrating,
though, that the labelling usually only consists of the genus and the
cultivar name, with no species name or hybrid tag; nor whether the plant is
evergreen or deciduous which, of course, affects hardiness and therefore
cultivation. Each time I buy a plant I have to search my bookshelves or
Google to learn how to keep it. Oh well, I suppose it's good for my
education.

Your garden is very pretty. I like the way it winds as one views the length
of it. Is it on a slope, or is that just the impression I gained? My
garden is on a slope and quite steep in places, although we've made it a bit
more managable than it was. It will be a while before I'm brave enough to
put many pics on here as it has become chaotic and weedy. I will, however,
take some pics and try and manage the technology that will allow you to see
them.

Thanks once again for sharing your pics. You may just have spurred me into
action ...

Spider

Old 18-08-2009, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the comments, yes, Agapanthus are really lovely, I have only the
white ones at the moment, but have some blue ones as seedlings, thanks to
Adrian.

I love Buddleia's, I am trying for a whole border full, as we now have new
next door neighbours, and although we have 6' fencing, they have decking
which is about 1and a half feet high, so when they stand on their decking,
they appear head and shoulders.... so I am trying to block them out with the
buddleia!

I have put a 10 minute vid up on youtube, if you want to walk round my
garden with me, the quality isn't wonderful, its taken on my phone, but it
should be sufficient to give you an idea of the size. Long and narrow!
you just google youtube, and in the search button, put in sheilaformby
and that should lead you there.

Old 19-08-2009, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...

"Spider" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the grand tour, Sheila. You've obviously worked very hard to
make it so pretty and well formed. It was interesting to hear/see your
plans for the fern and hosta bed. I hope that goes well. A large part of
my garden is shade/woodland planting, so I'm very fond of ferns. Hostas are
a mixed blessing here; lovely leaves ... not so lovely slugs.

I also grow, and love, that dark purple buddleia. Mine's B. 'Black Knight';
I assume yours is the same. I don't know another dark purple one. I'd
really like to try B. alternfolia some time, but I've got a lot of clearing
to do before I can make room for it. I hope you manage to screen out your
neighbours. Of, course, if you cut the buddleias hard back as recommended,
you're going to lose that screen for a while. Fortunately, they shoot back
very quickly as soon as the weather warms up.

I liked your freecyle urn in its new 'Wedgewoodesque' livery. It's made
quite a feature. Very clever of you. I also like the orangey rose on the
arch you passed through; do you know the name of it? I have a 'hot' border
which could do with a few more embers! :~)

Well, I'm going to have an early night (yawn yawn), so I'll look in again
tomorrow.
Best wishes,
Spider

Old 23-08-2009, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

I have put a 10 minute vid up on youtube, if you want to walk round my
garden with me, the quality isn't wonderful, its taken on my phone, but
it should be sufficient to give you an idea of the size. Long and
narrow! you just google youtube, and in the search button, put in
sheilaformby and that should lead you there.

Thanks for the grand tour, Sheila. You've obviously worked very hard to
make it so pretty and well formed. It was interesting to hear/see your
plans for the fern and hosta bed. I hope that goes well. A large part of
my garden is shade/woodland planting, so I'm very fond of ferns. Hostas
are a mixed blessing here; lovely leaves ... not so lovely slugs.

I love Hosta's also, I must have about another 20 in the garden, but hiding
in the undergrowth!problem is by the time I have seen them sprouting, I am
almost afraid to move them to a better position, where they can be seen,
when is the best/optimum time to move them, when they have finished I
presume.

I also grow, and love, that dark purple buddleia. Mine's B. 'Black
Knight'; I assume yours is the same. I don't know another dark purple
one. I'd really like to try B. alternfolia some time, but I've got a lot
of clearing to do before I can make room for it. I hope you manage to
screen out your neighbours. Of, course, if you cut the buddleias hard
back as recommended, you're going to lose that screen for a while.
Fortunately, they shoot back very quickly as soon as the weather warms up.

Wow, I really like that B.alternfolia! I think I can make a space for that
one.....!! Hopefully by the time the buddlleas are at a decent height, it
will coincide with them using their decking again...

I liked your freecyle urn in its new 'Wedgewoodesque' livery. It's made
quite a feature. Very clever of you. I also like the orangey rose on the
arch you passed through; do you know the name of it? I have a 'hot'
border which could do with a few more embers! :~)

The rose is Warm Welcome (Chewizz) and its in its 3rd year, its very very
easy!

Cleared half a compost bin out, put onto sandy border, and have left
remaining, as I found some brandling worms there.... but turned both boxes
, so am having a rest now!

White Agapanthus Seedees???? sheila United Kingdom 3 15-10-2010 09:16 PM
Agapanthus seedees..... Sheila United Kingdom 17 22-03-2009 04:45 PM
Agapanthus Loosecannon Australia 1 28-03-2003 08:20 PM
Agapanthus tangle John United Kingdom 2 08-03-2003 06:22 PM
Agapanthus propagation (pods\seeds) Rita Bogna Australia 0 15-02-2003 06:11 AM