Old 22-02-2009, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Agapanthus seedees.....

Very strange, the 1st seedling I had removed from all the other pots, a
typical seedling, two leaves, and now developing two others, is doing ok,
but..... all the others now developing look like a curved peice of grass!
(in fact a miniature of the leaf) anyone else's like this? Reading all the
others posts, I thought the first one was the norm, but I'm not so sure now,
very strange indeed......

Old 23-02-2009, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...
Very strange, the 1st seedling I had removed from all the other pots, a
typical seedling, two leaves, and now developing two others, is doing ok,
but..... all the others now developing look like a curved peice of grass!
(in fact a miniature of the leaf) anyone else's like this? Reading all the
others posts, I thought the first one was the norm, but I'm not so sure
now, very strange indeed......

I rang my gardener, he didn't know, but he looked it up on the internet, and
said agapanthus seedlings are grasslike, I couldn't find it anywhere,
interested to see how others are doing?

Old 23-02-2009, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

HI Sheila

Sheila wrote:
"Sheila" wrote in message
om...
Very strange, the 1st seedling I had removed from all the other pots, a
typical seedling, two leaves, and now developing two others, is doing ok,
but..... all the others now developing look like a curved peice of grass!
(in fact a miniature of the leaf) anyone else's like this? Reading all the
others posts, I thought the first one was the norm, but I'm not so sure
now, very strange indeed......

I rang my gardener, he didn't know, but he looked it up on the internet, and
said agapanthus seedlings are grasslike, I couldn't find it anywhere,
interested to see how others are doing?

That's how mine look at the moment.....
to be honest - they've not done a great deal since I pricked them out -
but they're still alive (as far as I can tell ! g)

Adrian
www.bringbacktheswanseacorkferry.com
Old 23-02-2009, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...
Very strange, the 1st seedling I had removed from all the other pots, a
typical seedling, two leaves, and now developing two others, is doing ok,
but..... all the others now developing look like a curved peice of grass!
(in fact a miniature of the leaf) anyone else's like this? Reading all
the others posts, I thought the first one was the norm, but I'm not so
sure now, very strange indeed......

I rang my gardener, he didn't know, but he looked it up on the internet,
and said agapanthus seedlings are grasslike, I couldn't find it anywhere,
interested to see how others are doing?

Hi Sheila,

I don't know what your first seedling is, but it certainly isn't agapanthus!

Agapanthus are monocots (only one 'seed' leaf), and put up a single
grass-like leaf; as you say, a miniature of the leaf. If it looks like a
curved leaf, that may be because it's trying to grow to the light. I turn
mine around most days. My seedlings have a pale green (almost white) basal
sheath, from which subsequent leaves shoot. However, in some seedlings,
this sheath is just below soil level so new leaves appear to come from the
soil, but *right next* to the monocot leaf. Also, a few of the secondary
leaves come through doubled up, in a simple loop, then straighten out as
they grow. This seems to be due to the persistence of the seed coat.
However, as much as I would like to remove it, it is so stubborn that I
leave it to its own devices lest I bruise the leaves.

A few of my seedlings are putting up their third (very tiny so far) leaf.
I'm not boasting, of course, :~))), I'm just deeply chuffed and encouraged!

Spider

Old 23-02-2009, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Aries" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 21:13:02 GMT, Sheila wrote:

Very strange, the 1st seedling I had removed from all the other pots, a
typical seedling, two leaves, and now developing two others, is doing ok,
but..... all the others now developing look like a curved peice of grass!
(in fact a miniature of the leaf) anyone else's like this? Reading all
the
others posts, I thought the first one was the norm, but I'm not so sure
now,
very strange indeed......

I'm sorry to say I've only just sown mine - wanted to wait until after the
very cold weather we had recently as my green house isn't heated. I'll
let
you know if they pop up their heads - do they take long to germinate?
--
Don't give up when you still have something to give.
http://ariesval.co.uk/val/

Mine didn't take too long to start germinating, but I sowed mine indoors in
the warmth. Some are still germinating, so they're a bit erratic. The RHS
Propagation guide says that seed sown at 16deg C should germinate within 3
weeks. I believe mine came through sooner than that, so keep a regular
check on them.

Spider

Old 23-02-2009, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Thanks for the very informative reply, phew, glad to hear that! I have now
moved them round, I can see the loop in mine now, and the white sheath, the
things you learn! Glad to hear yours are coming on so well. I wonder what
colour they will be when they at long last produce their own flowers! Isn't
nature wonderful!

Old 23-02-2009, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sheila" wrote in message
[...]

Indeed nature is wonderful, Sheila!, but I think that's why we're gardeners
:~). This particular bit of nature is wonderful because we're sharing
(due to your generosity), new plant material, techniques and experiences.
I've sown seeds before, but I've never done anything quite like this before
and it's so good to compare notes and progress. Oh, I'm sure the experts
have all done it before, but that doesn't matter ... *we're* breaking new
ground, albeit in a very modest way. I'm really enjoying it. Thank you.

Spider

Old 23-02-2009, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:34:29 +0000, Adrian
wrote:

HI Sheila

Sheila wrote:
"Sheila" wrote in message
om...
Very strange, the 1st seedling I had removed from all the other pots, a
typical seedling, two leaves, and now developing two others, is doing ok,
but..... all the others now developing look like a curved peice of grass!
(in fact a miniature of the leaf) anyone else's like this? Reading all the
others posts, I thought the first one was the norm, but I'm not so sure
now, very strange indeed......

I rang my gardener, he didn't know, but he looked it up on the internet, and
said agapanthus seedlings are grasslike, I couldn't find it anywhere,
interested to see how others are doing?

That's how mine look at the moment.....
to be honest - they've not done a great deal since I pricked them out -
but they're still alive (as far as I can tell ! g)

Adrian
www.bringbacktheswanseacorkferry.com

I won some packets in a raffle in early Dec and planted them straight
away, living room window ledge. They germinated before Christmas and
are definitely grass-like and not doing much, single leaf, less than 1
inch. A bit of sunshine, warmth and feed and they'll soon be ready
for pricking out.

Pam in Bristol
Old 24-02-2009, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I won some packets in a raffle in early Dec and planted them straight
away, living room window ledge. They germinated before Christmas and
are definitely grass-like and not doing much, single leaf, less than 1
inch. A bit of sunshine, warmth and feed and they'll soon be ready
for pricking out.

Pam in Bristol

That's nice to hear Pam, what variety did you plant? and about how many in
a packet where there?I read that you shouldn't put them into seed trays as
they have a very long root.

Old 24-02-2009, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Indeed nature is wonderful, Sheila!, but I think that's why we're
gardeners
:~). This particular bit of nature is wonderful because we're sharing
(due to your generosity), new plant material, techniques and experiences.
I've sown seeds before, but I've never done anything quite like this
before and it's so good to compare notes and progress. Oh, I'm sure the
experts have all done it before, but that doesn't matter ... *we're*
breaking new ground, albeit in a very modest way. I'm really enjoying it.
Thank you.

Spider

/blushes.... No problem at all, I have got such a lot of seed from the
plant, why not share it round! I brought my 2 Agapanthus that I had to re
pot during the frost, back outside from the shed, and they are still with
us, the ones in the ground are doing much better, they have about six leaves
to the potted ones one. Now I know what my seedlings look like, I am going
to have a look outside and see if I can spot any that I planted outside!

Old 16-03-2009, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Yes! I have just had a third leaf! (not me personally but one of the
seedlings!) When should I prick these out? How are yours doing? I have a
few in each pot now, in various sizes, but they all look healthy up to now!!

Old 21-03-2009, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yes! I have just had a third leaf! (not me personally but one of the
seedlings!) When should I prick these out? How are yours doing? I have
a few in each pot now, in various sizes, but they all look healthy up to
now!!

mine have had such a growth spurt, I have pricked them out into pots, the
size of the root!

Old 22-03-2009, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Aries" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:11:39 GMT, Sheila wrote:

Yes! I have just had a third leaf! (not me personally but one of the
seedlings!) When should I prick these out? How are yours doing? I
have
a few in each pot now, in various sizes, but they all look healthy up to
now!!

mine have had such a growth spurt, I have pricked them out into pots, the
size of the root!

Mine are spurting up too but I haven't pricked them out yet, that's a job
for next week
--
He who knows others is learned; he who knows himself is wise.
~Lao-tzu, Tao te Ching

have you got them in seed trays? or individual pots, because the roots are
far longer than the seed trays depth! They are very easy to handle too.

White Agapanthus Seedees???? sheila United Kingdom 3 15-10-2010 09:16 PM
Agapanthus seedees.... Sheila United Kingdom 5 23-08-2009 12:02 PM
Agapanthus Loosecannon Australia 1 28-03-2003 08:20 PM
Agapanthus tangle John United Kingdom 2 08-03-2003 06:22 PM
Agapanthus propagation (pods\seeds) Rita Bogna Australia 0 15-02-2003 06:11 AM